Author Topic: CHA 2016 Chatter  (Read 10711 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: CHA 2016 Chatter
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2016, 08:13:02 AM »
Daniel, I know he said they will work on metal, but no, he did not get into it.  He did have a time limit.  The price is a bit steep, I think.  $12.99 for the set of 6.  But with Distress, I am sure they will sell like hot cakes.

Tanx, Heidi. If they work on metal, I'm betting they'll work on other non-porous materials like glass & plastic, but may need sealing to preserve them on non-porous stuff.

Oddly enough, I don't find the price steep for a '6 pack'--depending on the shelf life & such. Figure they might do a price break if you buy the entire range of currently available colors, but not sure how Ranger &/or thinks when it comes to marketing. Might just do a bit of searching & see what I can find out.
Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2016, 10:23:48 AM »
I need to stop looking! I haven't seen a ton of stuff that has sparked my interest but I do have a little wish list started.

Heidi, that's good to know that you were able to get a good impression with chalk ink. It's weird, I have a couple of stamp sets from Hampton arts that stamps fine but the jillibean ones dont.

I really like those crayons. I think they would be fun to try out.I'm wondering if Joanns or Michaels will carry them?
I just watched this video on Spectrum noir products.http://youtu.be/UD_KPfri2_U

I like that they are offering different nibs on markers for you to choose, plus the price is good.

New watercolor pencils. A bit pricey. I would love to see more about the oil based pencils.
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2016, 10:39:53 AM »
Sandy Allnock created lots of periscope videos at CHA.  Today her blog post is a wrap-up summary of her periscopes and information she gathered...lots of little things I hadn't caught in the first round of videos posted here. I was particularly interested in a periscope video of Tim demoing distress crayons and the new Picket Fence distress ink pad.

Once you open Tim's video know the it begins as he ends a demo on yupo paper.  It very noisy and is at distance so you might want to skip that portion as well as he signs tote bags and gives attention to the infant.  The distress crayons begin then.

If you want to see any other periscope videos that Sandy still has posted click on her name below the video and a slide view of her available periscopes will come up.  Just click on them to open. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:08:27 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2016, 11:31:49 AM »
Here is a link to ScrapTime videos.  They did quite a few at CHA16.  They are not interviews, like paperclipping used to do, but they are pretty good videos.

Thanks for the heads up on where to start watching Sandy's periscope, I was able to fast forward past the baby and bag signing!

I'm not that impressed with the crayons, unless you really want all the matching distress colors.  I understand why Tim didn't want to answer questions naming names (I guess he can't be expected to know how neocolors act, or gelatos ...), but that's what we'd like to know!  How do they compare?  I'm sure there will eventually be some videos on that.  They just seem like another Ranger copy of something that's been around for a while.

I am anxious to find a demo on the Yupo paper, only because I already have a pad of Yupo.  His Yupo may be a convenient size, but I'd be surprised if it is really less expensive than cutting up your own Yupo.  Maybe with a coupon?
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2016, 11:50:28 AM »
From what I can gather watching the demos, many demos on those crayons.......The biggest difference between the distress crayons and let's say neocolor IIs is that you can use the distress crayons with distress ink and spray the water over the ink and the distress crayons won't move or react unless you use your finger or a brush to move them.  They will just sit there.  The crayons appear to be more of the consistency of gelatoes only creamier.  I have a few gelotoes and can never get a good result with them.  I can use them with lots of water or dryer but there is no medium amount of water that works well for me.  These distress crayons seem to spread in a creamier way then gelotoes. 

Neocolor IIs are more a regular crayon.  You color them and they act like a Crayola color, add water and they act like a watercolor, depending on the paper you use sometimes the neocolor IIs leave a scraping of color where you originally put them that doesn't seem to go away until you use a great amount of water to move it and then they seem to wash out.

So from what I can understand the distress crayons are creamier then gelatoes, blend nicer then neocolor IIs, and can react with water if moved with a finger or brush but won't react with water if just sprayed.  So really they are kind of the inbetween in the color world and of course they work with the other distress products.  The distress crayons also seem to be full of pigment so even if you do spray with water or use a waterbrush you won't loose the intense color even when blending. 

I think the name of distress crayons have thrown people for a loop.  Because they really aren't what I think of as a crayon, they are a different substance then crayons all together.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2016, 12:09:42 PM »
LeighAnn, the new markers from Spectrum Noir are really interesting!  I will be looking forward to hearing more about them.

That video from Sandy Allnocks periscope really was a better video on the distress crayons.  It does describe how it is not an oil pastel, but is "something else."  I think I heard Tim say something about a resin, so maybe that is what it is.  I am sure someone who really understands how the art products are made is going to tell us what it is eventually.   When Sandy gets some, she can tell me if I need to try them because she has just been doing videos with the Prima crayons.  Until then I am going to try to stamp over them, do that technique when the stencil and the baby wipe and see how it resists.  (ETA: Definitely would have to emboss if you stamped over the Primas, and then only some inks worked.  The stencil baby wipe worked the same, and the Primas seem to resist when water colored also.). The distress crayons do look better for some things because they won't smear as easily.  For a card, that could be important.  I have been wondering what product to use for seal in an oil pastel.

I do think it sounds like Tim is really having to "Sell" these crayons where many other products seem to sell themselves.

I am impressed with the Picket Fence distress ink, I think that might be fun to add to the distress line.

Also I am glad the Yupo will be available in the smaller sizes so I can try it.  It looks fun.

And the crazing medium looks really fun.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:22:19 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2016, 01:56:43 PM »
Sadie-thanks for your list of distress crayon features.  I agree the use of "crayon" in their name is confusing.  I was surprised about your comment regarding the Neocolor II loosing its color when really wet.  They are so expensive I expected that the color would stay strong.  Appreciate you sharing!

Tim and the other Ranger designer rarely make any type of comparisons to other products.  Developing and testing new products takes immense time. It's is a slippery slope to make comparisons and potentially make an error when you know your own products far better than a large groups of other "similiar products".  It begins to start sounding like a bad political campaign...I personally prefer that be left to folks who are not affiliated with the companies.

Ranger and some of the other ink companies have "secret" recipes or ingredients that are not shared with the general public.

Yupo paper is expensive...remember it is not paper...it is polypropylene-a plastic.  I heard Ranger's 5x7 packets will have 10 sheet and probably a price point at about $10. Yupo sells their own same size pads and I believe it is in a similiar $8-$10 found in fine art stores. Sandy Allnock did 2-3 blog posts on it.  It is not an easy surface to work on...I am anxious to see what techniques Tim is going to suggest on it. I have tried playing with alcohol inks and feel that it will take considerable work to gain the skills needed for successfully working on it.  However Range is going to have a transparent Yupo for alcohol inks which I haven't seen yet. 

I have looked at a few of Sandy's other periscopes and liked the general information about Imagine Crafts glazes..  I will check out their site for some detailed video's on them.

Next: I have some microglaze on my desk that I am testing on various colorants. I want to check-out Sadie's post on her experience.  Back to another thread for that topic.
Happy creative moments...Jan
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:23:31 PM by Far North »