Author Topic: Cuttlebug - retiring  (Read 1580 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Cuttlebug - retiring
« on: February 08, 2019, 03:13:51 PM »
Apparently, they aren’t going to make cuttlebugs anymore.  Can you believe it!?

You may want to buy extra plates, although you may be able to get a hardware store to cut the plexiglas for you, in the future. 

https://help.cricut.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009501973-Cricut-Cuttlebug-FAQ
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Re: Cuttlebug - retiring
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 10:40:05 PM »
wow that is crazy, I just broke down and bought a gemini at Hobby Lobby, they had the junior for 129.00  girls in my other group were talking about purchasing it and how much they love how it cuts, so I finally did it but I think it cuts through the plates a lot more than the cuttlebug did, I need to buy some extras just incase it gets cracked soon.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 06:48:47 AM »
Connie, does that Gemini only do dies or does it emboss too?  I like how small the cuttlebug is, even though it is heavy I can take it to my craft group, but I really like to be able to emboss, not just die cut. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 10:55:10 AM »
Heidi-I recently saw a video where one crafter cut up a self healing cutting material to use instead of cutting plates.  She said they release detailed die cut bits very easily.  Of course the 1 issue is one must create their own sandwich.  I believe she said that the cutting mats do not curl. 

Know the Gemini Junior is somewhat heavier than the cuttlebug and does not have a handle to carry it.  I think a canvas tote bag would be helpful. 

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 12:09:27 PM »
Yes it does emboss too, it has a really good directions book inside telling you the sandwiches to use.  I only seem to get bad cuts in the plates using their dies, when I have used many from other companies it isn't as bad. Jan I heard about them using a self healing cutting mat, but I haven't given it a try yet.  It is very heavy you wouldn't want it for your groups I wouldn't think but if you saved your cuttlebug for when you went to groups it would last longer and you could use the gemini for home.  Mine fit right were my cuttlebug use to be. Hope that helps.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 12:16:46 PM »
My husband thinks that he could easily find plexiglass the right thickness and then just cut it to size to replace cutting pads.  He has access to it at work.  You may be able to get a hardware store to do that for you, in the future, if you need more plates.

I was trying to decide if I should buy replacement plates now. I hope my machine lasts for many years, I think it is less than a year old, but I can’t exactly remember when I got it...

I didn’t realize the Gemini would be heavier.  That would probably make a difference in going to our group as it is on the second floor!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 09:47:42 PM »
that would be nice if he could cut them, yes it is quite heavy with no handle

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 05:27:41 PM »
That's a bummer about the Cuttlebug.  I know there are lots of fans out there.  I've only had the Sizzix old red press, and now Sizzix Big Kick.  I've thought about something newer, but I still have the thick steel rule dies.  I'm not sure if the newer machines cut those.

What is it about handles?  TH storage tins don't have them, and the Gemini either?  I do pick up my Sizzix by the handle and move it from room to room.

If you like your Cuttlebug Heidi, I'd stick with it.  Buy or let your DH make some extra plates.  Do you go through a lot of plates? 
Cindi