Author Topic: Re: Warm-up AIR16 Vintage WC-*Winner*  (Read 9603 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Warm-up AIR16 Vintage WC-*Winner*
« on: June 09, 2016, 07:26:53 PM »
Hi all!
This summer's AIR warm-up challenge takes in consideration Artsy Inkers busy schedules and their desire for a relaxing pace.  With this in mind time limits for this challenge are being pushed aside and the ending time is pushed back until Monday at midnight.  So if you didn't think you would not have time to play this one...please give it another thought. Check back for details on Friday after noon.
See you then!...Jan
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:55:27 AM by Far North »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Warm-up challenge AIR16 Vintage WC-OPEN
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:39:55 AM »
Slow down and smell the roses with AIR16 Vintage WC

Many folks like to think of summer as a relaxed pace.  So I have decided to slow down this event’s warm-up activity by extending it over 3 days. The playing time is also relaxed so you can play with this challenge as much as you desire with no time limit.

CHALLENGE OPEN: It will open at noon on Friday 6/10/16 and will close at midnight your time on Monday 6/13/16. 

Background:  Heather Telford, watercolor artist presented a weekly tutorial at Splitcoaststampers on Vintage Stamping at the beginning of May. Here is a link to that tutorial.

Today Heather is completing a week-long series (Monday-Friday) on vintage watercoloring for Penny Black.  Here is Monday's link to her blog.
Throughout the week Heather demonstrated twists on color combos and methods of using the colors so you may want to check each posting.

Challenge:  The focus of this challenge is to play with water based colors and techniques to find your personal favorite combinations.  Share your results on a card front in the gallery with the Key word: AIR16 Vintage WC along with a description of what you tried.

RAK –each player with be entered into a random drawing for each gallery post.  A RAK will be sent to the selected player.

To keep the focus on exploring vintage watercolor I ask that you do not combine this challenge with others.

I would love to have a discussion here of your experience with this challenge. Also please speak up if any questions arise.  But do know I am experiencing extreme trouble with my server internet connection this week. Tech support may not be available to check my connection until Monday.  So please help each other with any questions that may arise.

Happy creative play!...Jan

PS...other resources for using of the Elegant Writer:
How To Use the Elegant Writer Calligraphy Marker with Artist Karlyn Holman  

Gallery Examples-Search "elegant writer" in Artsy Inkers Gallery.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:59:23 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Warm-up challenge AIR16 Vintage WC-OPEN
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 10:31:43 AM »
I love your choice of challenge for this.  I had seen the SCS tutorial and it was so pretty!  I did not check her blog every day, but I did see some of the cards this week. I want to take a closer look at these and then decide what images I would like to work with. 

I hope you do not have too many more internet issues Jan!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 12:15:06 PM »
Jan, I also saw Heather's card and loved it.  I pinned it and watched her video and Karen Holman's incredible video.  Then I bought a set of black Elegant Writers.  I tried them once, and I just couldn't get them to bleed the way they did in the videos.  I was able to scribble some ink onto a tile I use for that purpose and pick up the color with a wet paint brush.  That worked very well, but it just wasn't the same.  That's when I went back and watched the videos a second time.

I think that Heather used the pen over or very near the stamped lines and then bled it out with the wet paint brush.  I had just put it down wherever and expected it to all to bleed out.  I was surprised to see the original line was still so dark black.

One tip that Karen mentioned somewhere in her video was that the nice thing about these pens is that the water sets them so you can go back once they are dry and use other watercolors without reactivating them.  For that reason, she lightly mists her work with water and lets it dry so that the lines she did not touch with water will also be set.  Very cool!

Another tip from Karen's video:  Blotting the wet ink is what brings out those lavender and pink tones.  Mine bled out blue until I blotted it with a paper towel.

I definitely want to try this again.  I love, love, love the look they give.

Daria

ETA:  You link to Heather's blog didn't work for me.

Heather's Blog
Her Vintage Posts
Her Posts with works using Speedball Elegant Writer

djc

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:28:42 PM by djc »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 01:11:06 PM »
Thanks Heidi and Daria for sharing your enthusiasm for the vintage watercolor and trying another experimentation!  Daria I also appreciate your correction for Heather's link...my internet is causing me big issues but I was able to also update the challenge post as well as the links to her work with the Elegant Writer.  Your tips are also most helpful!

One tip I saw on splitcoast was in a comment on Heather's tutorial:
"I also have the Elegant Designer pen, but my favorite is the Marvy 1122 LePlume ll #45 sepia that does exactly the same thing only it leaves a softer brown color instead of black after it bleeds out green then pink. I though I would share that for those who may not know. 😊
Del  |  Fri May 6, 2016 at 9:32 AM"

Also several splitcoast stamper's work with inspiration from Heather's tutorial can be found here.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:17:05 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 01:30:58 PM »
I am glad to hear that the Marvy sepia marker will work. I am pretty sure I have that somewhere!  I hope so!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 02:02:54 PM »
So cool Heidi that you may have the Marvy Marker!...It would be fun to see the results!

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 11:40:36 AM »
Love the look, hope to check out the links later when I have more time :)

Offline Vroni_garmisch

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 04:08:19 PM »
Ohh I love this technique I have not tried it but  I am looking forward to I bought some water color pencils at aldi a couple weeks ago that I will try for this technique :-)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 04:41:18 PM »
Here is my entry for this challenge.

Unfortunately, my Marvy sepia marker had dried out. I did have other brown and black water based markers and I just used them.  I did leave many details of how I made my card in the gallery. I used the technique from the video, although I did see another technique on a blog post that I think would be really pretty too. 

Thanks so much for offering this challenge.  This technique is far easier than I thought it would be and because of that I may have never tried it if you did not offer it here!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 06:15:33 PM »
Heidi your card is awesome!  I love how this technique uses faded colors instead of the traditional dark and masculine colors.  It gives a whole new feel to vintage cards.  So glad you jumped in and gave it a try!  Thanks for playing.

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 06:24:01 PM »
I didn't have the pen or marker.  So I stamped in vintage photo distress ink.  Added water color pencil lightly.
Pulled in ink color with the water to give it a vintage look.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 07:55:04 PM »
I didn't have that elegant writer thing either.  So I used distress inks, distress markers, and water to make the card front look vintage.  Here is the card that I made for this challenge.

Thank you for hosting and this was a fun challenge.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 08:10:34 PM »
I definitely don't think you need the Elegant writer to try this technique.  I think most black water based markers will blend out into different colors.  I think the black soot distress marker might not, but I used Tombow and Memento markers and they both separated easily into their component colors.

Just in case anyone is hesitating to try this because they don't have specific materials, I think you should give it a try with what you have :)

Jan, I think this technique does make a feminine distress look.
~~Heidi~~

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 09:23:26 PM »
I am definitely going to try this one. I did a test with one of my stamps and it came out pretty, but it needs background and such. So I am going to do it again. I do have the Elegant writer markers. 4 colors of them! I will use them on something now! yay! lol