Author Topic: Watercolor Dry Embossing Challenge (2/21-3/1) WINNER ANNOUNCED  (Read 11436 times)

Offline CaribbeanGirl

• Stampers
Watercolor Dry Embossing Challenge (2/21-3/1) WINNER ANNOUNCED
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:18:51 AM »
Hooray for Winterfest 2015! My challenge is to create a project using watercoloring and dry embossing. Here is a quick tutorial on ways to achieve this look:

Watercoloring and Dry Embossing

Rules:

1) Read the tutorial and create a new project using this technique.
2) Share a photo of your project in the Artsy Inkers gallery.  Please leave a comment in this thread with a link to your gallery post.
3) There will be a RAK from my stash to a random participant.   
4) You may combine this challenge.

Please post any questions to this thread  O0
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:07:27 AM by CaribbeanGirl »
Warning: Easily Distracted By Glitter

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
Re: Watercolor Dry Embossing Challenge (2/21-3/1)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 10:54:17 AM »
I love watercoloring. I'm so excited for your challenge! Thanks for hosting O0
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:07:12 PM »
I like your challenge, pal! May take me a bit to figure out how I'll tackle it, but hope to play!
Daniel

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 03:13:24 PM »
Ooooh.  I can't wait to give this a try.  It looks like so much fun.
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 03:23:16 PM »
This will be fun. I think I might have a couple of embossing folders that might work.

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:29:13 PM »
I just thought of an embossing folder I have that I think will work well, but also some of the plain geometric patterns might work too.  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 10:29:27 PM »
Oooo! This sounds fun!  I have never heard of microglaze until I read the tutorial.  April is there another product that can be used instead or does that part matter to the project or you challenge?
~~Melissa :)

Offline CaribbeanGirl

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 10:49:29 PM »
I don't have any microglaze either. I'm more interested in the watercoloring with dry embossing part of the challenge. Just use supplies you have on hand and have fun! O0
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:54:44 PM by CaribbeanGirl »
Warning: Easily Distracted By Glitter

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 03:51:44 AM »
LoL this ended up being a real messy for me the 1st time I tried.  I know a little more about watercolor so I hope to be a little more successful the 2nd time around.  Thanks April for the nudge to try again!...Jan
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:39:21 AM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 09:41:06 AM »
Looks like fun, thanks for sharing the tutorial.
I actually have some microglaze ... if I can find it, I will use it!
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 10:48:46 PM »
I played with this challenge today.  It was kind of messy for me too.  I have a hard time getting the versamark/EP only on the raised areas, even when I use a brayer.  I think the embossing folder you choose can make a difference.

I did end up with a few usable pieces ... I'll try to finish them in to a card or something tomorrow.  Thanks for the challenge!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 08:08:54 AM »
I have a versamarker and was thinking of using it instead of the brayer and inkpad.
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »
I played with this technique last night. I didn't get the result but I will still use the pieces I made and will share them when I get them finished.

My first one, I used the ranger big emboss pad that has a light blue tint to it. I usually don't have a problem with it drying blue but on this piece it did.
I did another piece with the same EF but used my versamarker pad. Some of the ink didn't transfer too well so it's a little distressed looking in places. Overall both pieces I like them and both are useable but won't qualify for this challenge.
I'm going to try it again today. I have a distress ink embossing pad that is more juicer than my versamark so I'm going to see if that works better.

Heidi, I think the versamarker would work well too especially if you're EF has fine lines to it.
LeighAnn

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 06:53:39 PM »
Well here is my try for this challenge.  I realized that I had no embossing folders appropriate for this challenge at all.  The one I used is the best I could do for this technique.  I really like that flower one the lady used in the tutorial but I probably would never buy it because it really isn't my style of embossing folder.  I usually purchase embossing folders that I use for backgrounds not to color the picture it makes.  Anyway thank you for hosting this challenge, it was fun. 

My attempt at this Challenge.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 09:33:39 PM »
I need a second opinion.  I colored one of the pieces I embossed and I'm trying to decide if I should leave it as is or if I should color the area between the flowers with green.  Part of me doesn't want to mess with it because I love how it came out and part of me thinks the white outlining the flowers would show up better if I added the green.  What do you guys think?
Sarah