Author Topic: WF 18 Color Explosion Technique-- Winner Announced  (Read 6408 times)

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Re: WF 18 Color Explosion Technique
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 08:56:17 PM »
that would be cool is it works Heidi!
Thanks for the tip April, maybe I will try it again after I get all the others done and see if I can get it to work.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 11:36:41 PM »
Cool backgrounds April!

I made 3 backgrounds tonight.  I'm flattening them under a big dictionary over night. 

Connie, did you try Pearl Ex or Perfect Pearls?  Perfect Pearls have a binder built in that is activated with a light mist of water.  Pearl Ex doesn't, so that is why it didn't stick.  You might be able to spray it with a fixative?

I used Color Bursts and sprinkled on a little Sunflower Sparkle Perfect Pearls (gold) for shimmer.  I also used embossing powder.  I found that I had to heat the embossing powder way more than usual to get it to melt ... and then in some places I think I over heated it.  It was hard to see what I was doing.  In some places it still felt grainy, and in others it melted flat in to the paper.  I did burn my paper a bit so I trimmed as much as I could off!

In the video, I don't know how she dried hers without warping?  Maybe it's her heat tool?  I heard Tim Holtz explain once the difference in heat tools.  Mine is definitely concentrated high heat.  Normally it's great for melting embossing powder.  There is another tool that's probably better for gentler drying.

Hopefully my pieces are flat by morning.  I'll take a pic.

Thanks for the push to get out my Color Bursts! 
Cindi

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 08:23:14 AM »
Very fun technique.  I got a muddy Northern Lights look and couldn't come up with an idea to use as Northern Lights so I used my background another way.  Thanks for this challenge Connie.

Here is my card:  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3834#top_display_media
Beth

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 09:14:36 AM »
so love the shimmer you achieved and love the northern lights look Beth, thanks for playing!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 06:30:29 PM »
I feel like I was fairly successful making my own colorburst powders.  I have a half used Rose Art watercolor set from the school art supplies, and I just took a razor blade, scratched off the surface of the cakes, then collected it on a piece of thin paper.  I was then able to sortof tap it onto my paper.

It is not as pigmented as the colorburst and similar powders, but I might be able to get more pigment if I scratched off some of my Koi watercolor cakes?

So anyhow, I have a background done, and now need to decide what to do with it.  I was able to get the embossing powder to stick by sprinkling it on the very wet paper.  I used watercolor paper, if that makes any difference.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 07:22:49 PM »
Very resourceful Heidi.  Can't wait to see what you make with your background!

I used watercolor paper, Color Bursts, Sunflower Sparkle Perfect Pearls for shimmer, and an assortment of embossing powders : bridal white, orange marmalade, gold tinsel, and clear ultra thick.  Not every EP on every piece!  I cut one of my pieces down to ATC size.

I'm wondering if the wet paper holds the EP, but also slows its melting?  I went back and heated a little more after they dried, as I thought they felt a little gritty.

I made a birthday card for my nephew.

Thanks for the challenge, Connie!
I'm glad I made a few extra backgrounds.  They really sparkle in person.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:34:48 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 09:44:37 PM »
I am glad you figured out how to do the challenge Heidi but oh my that sounds like a lot of work.

Cindi your backgrounds are neat and the one you used for your card is just perfect with the theme you were going with, your nephew is going to love it!

I used watercolor paper on my samples too, I just can't figure out why my embossing didn't stick, maybe I didn't heat set it well enough.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 07:02:46 AM »
I am glad you figured out how to do the challenge Heidi but oh my that sounds like a lot of work.

Cindi your backgrounds are neat and the one you used for your card is just perfect with the theme you were going with, your nephew is going to love it!

I used watercolor paper on my samples too, I just can't figure out why my embossing didn't stick, maybe I didn't heat set it well enough.

For trying a technique, every once in a while, it really wasn’t much trouble at all!  Especially compared to buying and then storing a whole new product line. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
Here is my finished card. I copied Cindi’s idea to make it outer space.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3858#top_display_media

I am going to try to attach a photo here that is a close up that shows the sparkle, but the forum does not allow me to do that from my iPad.  It says the file type is incorrect.  Oh well. I uploaded it in the gallery.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3859#top_display_media

This was fun, thanks for hosting!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:53:10 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 10:04:58 AM »
You guys have aced this technique.  I am enjoying seeing all the backgrounds and the wonderful cards you're making with them.

Daria

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 08:59:29 PM »
that background was totally perfect for your images, thanks for playing along Heidi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »
I made two backgrounds with color bursts and sparkle clear, and silver sparkle embossing powders.
Made card with orange one.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/329FBAA1-0181-4FB5-B6F9-B5C3AA757994.jpeg
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 08:00:16 PM »
Thanks for the great challenge.  I think I had actually seen that video and wanted to try this technique.  So thanks for getting me to actually do it.

Backgrounds

Bunny Card

Butterfly Heart Card

Heart Card
Sarah

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »
Thanks for doing the challenge, Sheila and Sarah, such fun ideas you had..

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 10:34:36 PM »
I am so happy to say that after getting frustrated with containing the color bursts I am very happy with my card results.  Thanks Connie and hope you too take a 2nd try with this great technique.
Here is the link to my backgrounds.
And here is my card. http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid 

Thanks Connie for hosting!...Jan
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:38:13 PM by Far North »