Author Topic: Removing stamps from wooden blocks  (Read 6088 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Removing stamps from wooden blocks
« on: January 11, 2017, 01:25:15 PM »
I have removed only a few of my stamps from their wooden block over the years. But shipping most of my collection on the blocks would be too expensive.  It seems that the older stamps are a little harder to remove.  Some leave glue residue which is sticky behind on the back of the rubber and other leave bits of foam.  I have tried heating in the microwave but I am not finding that very successful...Any great ideas for the removal of the remains?

I really like keeping my stamps by topic. Any great ideas of how to store all the various types on the stamps (cling, transparent etc) by topic?  Or any other thoughts about storage. 

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:05:41 PM by Far North »

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
Re: Removing stamps from wooden blocks
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 01:40:48 PM »
I have my cling stamps by co. In file folders in three bankers boxes.  I could move them easily and do every holiday when I clear out crafts to make room for family.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 11:29:14 AM »
I removed all my wood mounted stamps from their wood about 10 years ago.  I also found that some pealed right off and some did not.  I also tried the microwave, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.  There were just a certain amount of stamps that I left laying with the glue on the back and they kind of dried out so I could peel the glue off.  A couple I didn't really like the stamps that well anyway so threw them away.  It's a lot of work.......but really for me was worth it. 

I bought these plastic folders with envelope things inside (also plastic) that I store my unmounted rubber in.  I don't know if these are available anymore or not.  But I divided them by holidays....Christmas, Halloween, etc and have a folder for each major holiday.  Then I went with the obvious, cats, dogs, wild flowers, roses, etc.  I labeled the spines of the plastic folders using my labeler and now I can see what is in each folder.  Instead of mounting the rubber on that cushioning stuff I use the plain rubber on a block that has that two sided really sticky stuff that comes in a small sheet on it.  I have different sizes plastic blocks with that on it and I just use those with the unmounted stamps.

I will try to take a picture of my folder when I get home so I can post it and you can see what they look like.  Like I said I am not sure they can be purchased anymore.  Good luck.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 02:06:54 AM »
Thanks Sheila and Sadie for sharing your experiences! 

Sadie it would be great for you to share a photo of your storage folder and envelope inserts.  Do you recall if you bought them at an office supply store or stamping supply store? 
...Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:09:24 AM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 08:44:03 PM »
I spoke to a friend who has unmounted her previously wood-mounted stamps.  She said she uses paint thinner to get sticky glue and foam bits off the rubber. 

I had the same trouble.  One was so stubborn I'm pretty sure I did throw it away.  I haven't unmounted many.

Right now my wood stamps are in cabinets in acrylic box frames used as trays.  Clear, cling and unmounted rubber stamps are in clear envelopes in frig bins a la Jennifer McGuire, and Stampin Up are in their cases on a shelf.  Not ideal.  It would be nice to have them all in one place, but it would also be a big effort!

I really like the frig bin organization.  Mine are organized by category, not manufacturer, and I've been really happy with that method.  They are organized by category, but by set.  I didn't break up sets.  I've started to try and catalog them but I haven't got very far with that (per Totally Tiffany).

Good luck with your unmounting effort.  My friend did say that sometimes she had to microwave quite a few times.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:52:11 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 09:04:22 PM »
I've unmounted my stamps.  For the ones that had left over glue residue, I didn't worry about it because I mount them on EZ-Mount.  So it doesn't really matter.  For the bits of foam, I've used an exacto blade to cut it off. You just have to be really careful.

And I store them in DVD and CD cases, which I keep in boxes.  Although, that is starting to take up too much space.  So I may have to switch systems. 
I also create an index that I put in each case so I can keep track of the manufacturer of stamps.
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 10:24:58 AM »
Thanks AIs #>...it sounds like we are removing the stamps in a similar manner and are all experience a range of results...so I am continuing to move forward.  I appreciate hearing all the organization methods too and find the photos very helpful.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:26:35 AM by Far North »

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »
I have rubbed my fingers raw trying to get stubborn residue adhesive off of stamps I had unmounted.  I have used adhesive erasers.  I have used rubber cement thinner (which is no longer sold in California).  Then I decided to just leave the cushion on and add the whole thing to the thin EZ Mount Stamp & Store cling cushion.  They slipped off so that didn't work.

Recently, I've seen a couple of videos about unmounting stamps and/or just making clings sticky again.  I wish I had seen these years ago.  I still haven't tried it myself, but it looks so easy, and you don't have to remove the cushion.

Check these out:
Turning Stamps into Clear Mount
Unmounting Stamps

This looks so much easier than what I went through to unmount stamps.

Daria

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:49:34 PM by djc »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »
Wow what a job to unmount 100's of wooden stamps!  I am truly finished for now.  It certainly has lightened my boxes.  I found a manicure tool with a file on one end and the other end has a pointed tip which worked much better in starting the pull-off of the rubber than breaking my finger nails. I did leave many on my Alaska stamps and a few of my favorites on blocks that I like to display. 

Since I do like to organize by stamps by topic and don't mind splitting sets apart I put them on 11x8 sheets.  I love looking at the possibilities within a topic in just a few pages.  There will still be lots of organizing to finalize as I unpack.

Thanks Daria for sharing your experience!  I had been trying to think of the product name of- Tack it Over...and am thinking of giving it a try. 

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 11:53:38 AM »
Jan, you're moving!? 

Daria

ETA:  OK. Jan, I just looked at your older posts and saw the news about your moving.  Darn.  I sure wish you were moving in my direction!  I would have loved that!  Good luck with getting everything in order for the move. 

djc

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:08:11 PM by djc »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »
Daria, thanks for sharing the links for unmounting.  That looks easier than what I've done in the past also.  I probably have some old SU sets that have blocks that I haven't mounted yet ... great way to use the label, and make it sticky.  I always forget that Tombow can be repositionable.  Sometimes Tack It Over can be hard to find.  I still have tons of wood mount stamps.  I'm kind of sentimental about them I think.  I'm sure there are some though that I could unmount.  Nice to hear that you are doing the same Jan, leaving some faves mounted for display.

I'm so sorry that you are moving, Jan, for you, and for me!  One of these days I still want to get to Fairbanks, but I'm bummed that you won't be there!  I know, Daria, at least if she's moving she could have made it to California or Florida, right?

This past month DH has been in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada for cold weather helicopter testing.  He really likes it there too and thinks I would like it, but maybe more toward summer, haha! 
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 11:41:15 AM »
Sorry Far North I never got any pictures taken of the unmounted stamp storage, I don't think it would really matter anyway because you cannot get the things I use anymore.  I did a search on the internets and there was nothing.  It must have been longer then 10 years ago.  I got them at a LSS that has been out of business for more then ten years.  LOL time does pass quickly.

Anyway I found a new thing, not for storage but for use.  I left my rubber naked and use blocks with tac and peel to stamp.  I use a Misty and a different brand stamp positioner for clear and cling stamps.  I ordered a We R Memory keepers stamp positioner and really couldn't get it to stamp decent.  I looked at it and thought to myself, this would work with tac and peel for the bare rubber stamps.  So I ordered two tac and peels because it comes in such small sheets.  I used almost the entire two sheets on the top of the stamp positioner.  I was careful to not get it along the edges so it would close correctly.  But it works like a dream now for the bare rubber.  So between the blocks that have tac and peel (which are still good after all these years) and this stamp positioner I am set again and happily using my bare rubber stamps..... I just couldn't ever justify buying all the good foam stuff to go on my stamps so going this way was more cost effective for me.  And I just got an email telling me that the precision press is $14.99 right now at Scrapbook.com.  I paid under $20 for it on Amazon. 

Far North I hope your move is going well and you are settling into the new home.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......