Author Topic: 2017 Stamping Review & Planning for 2018  (Read 2877 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
2017 Stamping Review & Planning for 2018
« on: December 06, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »
It’s just a touch early for New Year’s, but I thought it would be nice to list accomplishments and new things tried for 2017 and get an idea of what we want to do for 2018.

Plus, this could help people decide about what challenges you might want to offer the group in 2018?.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: 2017 Stamping Review & Planning for 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:18:56 PM »
Nothing wrong with getting a jump on things, Heidi! O0

I don't know that I'd call much of what I've been doing new, but I'm definitely exploring ways to use what tech tools I have along with my hands-on work.

Just how that will impact should be interesting--to say the least! ;D
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:14:40 PM »
Daniel, do you have any ideas of challenges you would like next year?

This year, there are a few things I am proud of.  #1, I sent most of my cards on time.  Not all, but most.  #2, I kept my scraps box as empty as I ever had, by always going to that box first and probably, by making more cards.   #3, I am much more comfortable with coloring in stamps now. 

For next year, I would like to try more messy techniques (I am usually a touch lazy here and don’t want to clean up a mess) and maybe participate in a regular challenge.  I also want to keep making Christmas cards early and often.

~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »
Hmmm Heidi
Messy & stamping?
Maybe using condiments instead of ink?! :idiot2:

Have to give it some thot
Daniel

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 09:47:53 AM »
Oh man last year is just a big blur, they seem to be going faster and faster.... I would say I challenge myself to try new techniques, and some of my coloring is getting better.
I really haven't given it any thought of what I want to try in the future, I am just hoping to get cards out to family by Christmas, and to get the rest of the birthdays done for the end of the month...ugh!  I guess getting off the computer would be a start, LOL!

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »
Good thread, Heidi! I am going to put a series on my blog of shabby chic cards! I have been wanting to make more cards like this so having a series on my blog will help me! I might put that up as a challenge too so I can get ideas!

This year I made a lot of cards using just my scraps and old stuff, but boy do I have a lot left!

I also tried to not buy new stuff except if was a really new and neat product like the oxide inks. I don't plan on buying a lot this next year. I need to use all the dies, stamps, papers and stuff I already have!

For challenges, I always like techniques and card folds. Other challenges could be shabby chic, distress, clean and simple -- card styles so that we can get out of our rut of making cards a certain way all the time.

April
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:50:11 AM by stampwilly »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 12:57:54 PM »
Thinking about it I'd have to say I'll most likely do self challenges that stretch both my technical ability in some way
And ones that stretch the ability of my available materials
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 01:18:22 PM »
Thanks for the input!

Connie, feel free to think about this after Christmas, if you remember.  Don’t mean it to stress you out!

April mentioned that we shouldn’t forget about Winterfest.  I agree.  Usually we do that the very end of January or First week of February.

April, also the Shabby Chic series on your blog will be fun! I liked your bits and bobs series this past year. I have also been trying to think of something for my blog. I would like to do a flower of the month series, or something like that.  I am not sure if I have stamps for every month. 

Daniel, I hope you will share the results your techinical ability challenges.  That sounds technical! ;) Challenges for limited materials are always good for creativity. 

Thanks again for the input. I find these threads fun and interesting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 11:38:07 AM »
Some of my favorite things from 2017 were the monthly challenges here, especially the perfect pearls technique inspired by Jan's challenge and Jennifer McGuire (masked off a shape - in my case rectangle, inked with versamark and dusted with perfect pearls, and then pressure embossed).  I also loved swiping distress inks over an embossed layer (I think that challenge was April's).  For a technique/layout that used more stamping, I liked the card I found and used as inspiration for Thanksgiving cards and the October monthly challenge.

Ah, something new ... I tried "30 days of lists" and made my own Traveller's Notebook insert.  That was fun, and something I'd been wanting to try.  I'd like to do more book making in 2018.

This month I actually made 3 scrapbook pages!  WooHoo!  I've been wanting to get back to scrapping, so I'm using a 6x6 ring album for a combo of "30 days of lists" and Shimelle Laine's "Journal Your Christmas".  I was gung ho for days 1-3 and um, well, I have some catching up to do  :o . I will try to post some pics soon.

Goals for 2018
more scrapbooking and list making/journaling - and include stamping!  I tend to forget stamping on scrapbook pages
more bookmaking
use what I have!
complete one of those "projects" I bought the supplies for and never did
more purging  >:(, I need to do it, but I don't have to like it, right?
Cindi

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »
It was cool today in SWFL, but it's warming up.
I finished a card for a recovering soldier. Will mail it tomorrow.
Not 100% pleased with it, but that's par for the course, of course! ;D
It's in the gallery
Have a good today!
Later gators
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 04:47:10 AM »
Stamping Review:  I am disappointed with the limited time I had to stamp this year. Oh how I need my creative stamping time! I hope that I can get back on track in 2018!  I replaced 1 stamping pad this fall but I think that was my limit to new purchases. 

Goals for 2018: Make time for stamping!  Purchase a limited # of oxide inkpads and learn about the ways to use them.

I was inspired by Heidi's thread regarding making stamped items beyond cards. As I was pulling out my Christmas ornaments I enjoyed the special things I have made in the past and hope to return to some of that.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 01:26:01 PM »
Yes Jan!  I enjoyed seeing some of the Christmas ornaments I have made in the past.  We need to do more of that this year, and start early!  And wow!  I'm impressed, what a show of willpower!  You replaced 1 stamp pad?  That's it?  Kudos to you!

Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 01:51:26 PM »
I reviewed photos for this years projects.
I need to do more with pp!  Only two cards made with pp this year.
I need to catch up on grandsons scrapbooks!  Not just say it ,but do it.
Need to complete kits that I bought in the past!  I was doing that this past year but by summer I lost steam.
Quit buying kits of any kind!  I was doing good not buying till the oxide inks came out and had to have them all. 
Try to work in a routine, not in heavy periods.  Try to stay several months ahead of what is needed.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 08:40:44 AM »
Fantastic ideas so far!  If anyone has more to add, the next couple weeks would be ideal.

I think it looks like at least a few would like a Christmas ornament challenge!!!!

I would be interested in doing a piece of home decor, such as wall art.  It can be simple, like I saw on a blog this morning here.   http://myperfectlifeuk.blogspot.com/2017/12/penguins-arent-just-for-christmas.html

I already have a pile of newer items I need to use.  There is occassionally an NBUS challenge on blogs (Never Before Used Stuff) but it could be a good challenge here too. 

I have been thinking of doing more cards for charity, but not sure which charity! 

I have a lot of ideas, so a final idea would be to make a list and make time to do it!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 01:08:54 PM »
I didn't do much paper craft wise in 2017.  Although I did do a bunch of mixed media home décor items. 

My list of goals for 2018 is really long:

Finish the stack of unfinished projects
Purge my stamps and stuff I'm not using and reorganize my craft closet
Finish the California trip scrapbook (the trip was in 2012) and start the Oregon trip scrapbook (2016) before my Massachusetts trip
Try something new craftwise each month
Pay attention to my blog & actually post stuff
Get Christmas card done early by working on them all year

Heidi, I saw your New Year challenge.  Great challenge.  I had been thinking about hosting a monthly targeted use your stash/ purging type challenge - each month pick a type of supply, challenge everyone to make as many projects as they can using it, and then at the end of the month, assess whether this is a supply you want to keep, get rid of completely or pare down.
Sarah