Author Topic: Oldies Challenge -- NOVEMBER -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!  (Read 4420 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Oldies Challenge -- NOVEMBER -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!
« on: November 01, 2014, 09:15:33 AM »
Hi Everyone! Thanks to those who tried last month's Oldies challenge, even though we had Inktober Fest!  :smile:

We have a winner for October's challenge! ;D  CONGRATS to HEIDI, you are the winner! :laughhard:  Please message me your address so I can get your RAK out to you soon. I loved all the entries. Ya'll did a great job!

Now on to this month's Oldies challenge. I remember when I learned this technique and it was the rage for awhile. I went with friends to a stamp store in a small town nearby. The store owner whipped out some card stock and started making a grid and then stamping a collage on it. It looked so artsy and beautiful. So I want to see what you do with the GRID technique. You can click here to see the steps. As usual I will be sending an RAK to a random winner! ;D

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/retiform_grid_technique/

You may use matte or glossy card stock. I used glossy card stock on my card below. You can use any scrap paper to make the grid, but I used Post It notes.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=727#top_display_media

Here are the "rules"

1.  Do the grid technique
2.  Use at least 3 different stamps
3.  Use at least 3 different ink colors
4.  Make any project, card, tag, scrapbook page, etc.
5.  Upload it in the gallery under the Oldies Challenge and link it here on this post

I hope you have fun with this. I can't wait to see what you create! :smile:

Stampwilly
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:55:10 PM by stampwilly »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Oldies Challenge -- NOVEMBER
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 09:55:50 AM »
WTG, Heidi! And Hooray Willy!

I love your card & new 'Oldies' (that sounds funny).

With my new glossy CS & all the midi inks, I have everything I need for playtime.

I think I'll begin by trying out different grid patterns & see where that leads me. While I plan to do it the way the tutorial does (starting with a stamped image) & then building the grid, I may also make a grid & add the stamping after just to see how that works.

Another winner, April! O0
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 10:13:35 AM »
thanks so much!  I am happy and excited to win.  :):)

This new technique I have seen before, but I appreciate seeing the tutorial. I have seen examples out in galleries and pinterest that I liked, and some that just seemed to be too busy.  I like how they started with the image to bring focus to the project.

Thanks for hosting!!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 02:29:46 PM »
LOL! I meant to just start by testing the grid-making & it just kept leading me on. Result? I have an entry that I just plain like! It's so me & April's challenge combined. Now there's a scary (post-Halloween) thought.

The truly funny part is that I ended up not using my glossy cs or stazons. Sometimes testing has its own rewards, eh?!

Can't wait to see what my fellow AIs make!
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »
I actually did my grid first and then stamped last. it does not matter which way you do it. I know we will have great entries! ;D

Stampwilly

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »
Congratulations Heidi!!   O0

And this looks like a fun technique!---I remember Daria and Nora doing the pillow technique which looks similar to this and I have been wanting try so this is perfect!  Thank you April for another great technique to learn!

~~Melissa :)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 12:43:14 PM »
I tried the technique out on my art journal book---first entry!  I had lots of fun doing this technique….but as I mentioned in the description, I wished I had only picked 2 or 3 stamps to use as a fill in the grids--not 7 as I did!  Or maybe if I had stuck to all the stamps in the grids being one color instead of all different, then maybe the piece would be more connected.  But I did have fun making it!

tree stamp and grid

Thank you April for another fun challenge this month! 
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 03:13:58 PM »
LOL, Melissa!

I used 2 colors for the grid lines & 2 more colors for the BG & image stamping. When I filled the grid openings with images, I didn't count--'til now. I used 14 stamps. ::) ;D
Daniel

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 11:13:55 AM »
This challenge reminds me of some templates I have for this style grid.  They were by Tamp-a-tile I think (and actually located in Tampa).  They fit together like a puzzle and you pulled each piece up one at a time and inked inside.  Now this IS a blast from the past!  I wonder if I can find it?!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 03:19:59 PM »
Way to go Melissa! 

I tried this a bit, and I have to say, I am having trouble with the 3rd color.  I can't figure it out. I may take a hint from Melissa and make my different areas bigger than what I was trying.
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 05:00:42 PM »
This is such an interesting technique.  Your sample is beautiful.  Yellowcherries yours is beautiful too.  I am going to need to set aside some time to try this...Thank you for another oldies challenge!
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 10:15:49 PM »
I struggled a bit with this.  I started by stamping a focal image and used copy paper as a mask, with repositionable adhesive.  I kind of made a mess rubbing off adhesive dots!  I didn't really like what I ended up with, it felt kind of busy with the stamping I did around my focal image, but I did like the focal piece which does have retiform grid on it.  I trimmed out the focal piece. 

I tried again with another piece of glossy paper.  This time I used post-it tape as a mask and did the grid inking before the stamping.  I stamped leaves off on scratch paper before randomly stamping on the grid background.  I masked off a strip in the center and stamped script in that part of the grid.  I used this second retiform piece as the background for my first attempt.

You can see it here.

Thanks for the challenge April!
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 11:00:47 AM »
Melissa and Cindi, your cards are wonderful! I love the creativity of each card. Thanks for doing my challenge! ;D

Stampwilly

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »
I think this technique looks like a lot of fun and one I haven't done before. I missed getting last months uploaded, so I hope I get this one done in time!

April and Melissa, wonderful cards :)
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »
I had an easier time with this challenge once I switched to glossy cardstock and chose 3 more similar colors.  It remained a pretty big challenge!

Thanks for offering this challenge, April!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=749&message_id=b368ea6ba3914b10858123cf96abdc97&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock
~~Heidi~~