Author Topic: WF16 - Impress Me Challenge (Winner Announced!)  (Read 9880 times)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
Re: WF16 - Impress Me Challenge
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 09:39:05 PM »
Here is the card I made.  I did a combo with Standing Tall, Material Girl and Stamp Your Ground.

Valentine's Tower

I used the second one I made on it. I attached a picture of my attempts.  Number 1 and 2 were done with matte gel and Colorbox pigment ink.  The stamp is by Penny Black.  Number 3-5 were done with flexible modeling paste that I tinted with paint and stamped with Colorbox pigment ink.  I really liked the look of the silver on the colored paste, but there wasn't as much coverage as I would have liked.  After I took the picture, I went back and tried to re-stamp numbers 4 and 5.  I mucked number 4 but number 5 came out pretty good.  So I will probably use that later this week.

I also included a close-up of the heart I used on the card.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:44:22 PM by Craft Nerd »
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 07:37:45 AM »
I agree that the silver ink on the colored paste also looks really good.  Number 2 attempt that you used does look really wonderful and I like how you combo'd it!

Thanks so much for participating with the Impress Me challenge!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »
I forgot to mention that I owe you an extra thank you for this challenge since it led me to finding some missing stamps.  I think I mentioned that I lost a new set of clear stamps after using only one of them.  Well on Saturday, I left open the bottom drawer of the sterlite 3 drawer container I have at the end of my craft desk.  That is the drawer with my texture pastes and gels.  I went to let the dogs out and when I was walking back to my desk, I saw the missing stamps on the floor were the drawer goes.  So thanks.  I had the drawer open because of your challenge. 
Sarah

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 10:34:01 PM »
I took part in this most impressive challenge tonight and here is my final product.  The modeling paste just kind of pulled up and made a smooshy impression so I leveled it out and tried again after I left the modeling paste to dry some.

Thank you for looking.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 10:43:11 AM »
I played with this last night and didn't get great results. I used the liquitex modeling paste and it looks goopy in some areas and cracked in another. I'm going to try it again tonight. I'm thinking it was the stamp I used that caused it to ooze over more in some areas. Love the samples and results you all are getting!
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 11:40:56 AM »
LeighAnn, I hope that you will have better results next time.  Don't be afraid to really use a thin layer, that is what I found helped the most.

Sarah, I am glad you found your stamp set!  Yay!!!!

Sadie, I really like your entry.  I am not sure what that stamp looks like with a full impression, but it looks really good the way you used it.  Thanks so much for participating!

~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 01:16:02 PM »
Yesterday I worked on trying out several different products for this challenge.  Here are some of my results.  Mostly the images are not perfect but I am thinking some portions maybe useful.

1.  Texture product-Light Molding Paste w/ buttercup liquid pearls; stamped in Ranger sienna archival ink
2.  Texture product-Light Molding Paste w/denim liquid pearls; stamped with Ranger distress embossing ink
3.  Texture product Dreamweaver metallic gold embossing paste; stamped with Ranger black archival ink
4.&5  Texture product-Light Molding Paste w/ cantaloupe liquid pearls; stamped with Ranger sienna archival ink

Things I learned-
1.  I would describe the amount of texture product to add to the paper as slightly more than a sheer layer  (less than when covering a stencil)
2.  I tested without inking the stamp with color but used Ranger embossing ink - the latter definitely provided a cleaner image.
3.  The metallic embossing paste was the hardest to apply in a smooth coat but I think that was because the paper was overworked with too many re-tries and got too wet.
4.  Personally I will have to work with this technique some more but at this point I feel I achieve far more success with texture products and stenciling but nonetheless I find the stamps provide interesting results.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:18:17 PM by Far North »

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 02:21:43 PM »
I used the warm up piece ( thank you Jan)
I used two different mediums and moth stamp and distress ink.
I think the ink worked great cause it reacts with wet, so got good coverage.
The reg modeling paste is softer looking and the translucent looks like it was embossed.
Had to use them both!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/image~13.jpeg
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 09:20:19 PM »
Yankee, thanks so much for doing my challenge.  I like your card!  Thanks for sharing your experience with the ink blending and getting better coverage. 

FarNorth, thanks for writing up your experience so far.  I think in your scans they all look really good! I don't know anything about the light molding paste, but is there a reason you mixed something with it each time?   Would it be too transparent otherwise?  Or did you just prefer to have it colored?

I preferred using this method to create embellishments, I would have a hard time using it another way, but I really am not too experienced with pastes, also.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 03:09:25 AM »
Heidi Posted: "FarNorth, thanks for writing up your experience so far.  I think in your scans they all look really good! I don't know anything about the light molding paste, but is there a reason you mixed something with it each time?   Would it be too transparent otherwise?  Or did you just prefer to have it colored?"

My light molding paste is a Golden artist quality product purchased in 2009.  That was definitely prior to the flood of stencils and texture paste into the stamping world but I am still trying to use my older products so I can buy some newer products. Since it is white as well as my scrap paper I chose to color the molding paste to better see the thickness as well to test some different types of colorants. 

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 09:06:31 AM »
I was thinking of coloring my molding paste also but didn't end up doing it, if I try it again I may do that

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 09:49:27 AM »
Thanks!  I was just curious if the additions of colorants to the paste alters the properties much for this purpose.  Like I said,  I really don't know much about pastes and I am happy that people are trying so many things for this challenge!!! :smitten:
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 10:42:02 AM »
Yes, finally I made a card and posted in the gallery..

Hedi I have a couple more samples I want to share...since you mentioned translucent paste-here I tried Dreamweaver translucent embossing paste.  It is highly glossy which makes it a little easier to see.  The blue stamping is pigment ink and the red dye ink (old Adirondack pad).  I certainly only added a thin coat of EP and the texture is not very dense. I would describe it as looking like I had used a glossy medium and the texture is similar to heat embossing in height and feel. Heidi your beautiful textured heart image in your photo looks like it has lots more texture depth than these flowers...how does it look and feel in person? 

Dina Kowal has a posting of texture stamping on the bottom of a watercolor card in the SCS gallery for texture stamping--I wonder what she used? Wonder if there is a matte translucent product? I think if others use SCS galleries we should consider posting our cards there too...they only have a few cards mostly from their team and more samples might inspire others to give this technique a try.  Besides dropping the AI name (if their rules allow that) might inspire others to stop in.

Heidi thanks so much for all you help and support of working thru this fun new technique!  You are a 5-star Host!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:27:20 AM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 12:26:44 PM »
Here is my entry. I combined my card with this challenge and Material Girl. Thanks for the fun challenge.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2393#top_display_media -- close up of impression

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2392#top_display_media -- card

April

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 08:56:28 PM »
Stampwilly, I really like your variation on this where you added the ink after the textured image dried.  It looks really neat and I would like to try it this way sometime! Thanks so much for doing my challenge!
~~Heidi~~