Author Topic: Video Using Distress Crayons  (Read 4131 times)

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Video Using Distress Crayons
« on: April 06, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »
Here is a video showing uses for the distress crayons if you are still on the fence if you want to try these out, I am still undecided if I will be purchasing them but thought I would share if you want more ideas with them :
http://www.paperwishes.com/webisodes/?page=high&id=755

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Video Using Distress Crayons
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 01:51:11 PM »
I hear ya' Connie...I too haven't decided if I am going to buy the distress crayons.  I feel like I have so many products now that most techniques can be duplicated in another manner. It will be good to look at the video to see what work-arounds I might use.

It also feels like the more products I buy for occasionally use I am diminishing the amount of time I will use the products I really love.

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »
I bought the distress crayons........and I feel really badly that I don't "get" them.  They aren't that much different then gelatos, they aren't that much different then neocolor IIs, I want them to be more then those things but for some reason I just can't make them be anything else.  The distress colors do not spread as well as I think they should unless you use a whole lot of product.  They do not spread with a waterbrush as well as the other products do either.  I look at them and do a search on the youtubes to see if anybody has come up with an idea where they become neat, Nope, hasn't happened yet.

I haven't seen anybody do anything much with them except backgrounds, I haven't noticed Mr. Holtz using them for anything neat either.........maybe because they aren't anything special, as much as I want them to be special I can't seem to make them be.  I keep digging them out and trying but all I seem to be able to make with them is a background that I don't like that much.  This is why I feel so bad because I really enjoy the other distress products, but these, holy smokes they suck.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 02:11:19 PM »
Thanks, Connie, I did see that video.

I saw Limedoodle do a background with the white distress crayon where she put it through the stencil, removed the stencil and then sponged over the page with distress inks and it looked really pretty and artsy.

I tried to replicate it with my Prima crayons and a regular wax crayon and I could not, so there is one use for the white one.  If you could buy open stock that one might be a good one.  I guess that is because they are made to work with the distress inks.

The Prima crayon, you could feasibly make the background, but the thick layer of crayon needed would not have been stable enough on a card (aka it might smear). 

I still love the Prima crayons for stamping though.

I have seen everyone say that you should use this stuff over gesso.  Not sure if it would help make them good or not.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:13:33 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 01:58:49 PM »
Connie's suggested video does show an emboss resist technique with coloring on the inside of the image.  Also using the crayons directly on the stamps (not sure that is as clear as Heidi's oil pastels).  I do love moving coloring products with my fingers and adding water and they have plenty of opportunities for that.   ...hmmm time will tell of this one.

Thanks Connie for the link and discussion!

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 03:51:40 PM »
 Roni of Ink Stains blog shares a 2 part comparison of Distress Inkcrayons along side Gelatoes and Prima's oil pastels. Here is the link. Note there is a brief unrelated post between the 2 comparisons.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 07:12:38 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 05:13:59 PM »
Thanks for the link, Jan. 

I think that the video that Connie linked in the OP is the one place I have seen where they were able to make several really pretty things with the Distress crayons. I think the other product reviews have been pretty so-so.  I saw that there was a Tim Holtz blog hop regarding the Distress crayons, but I did not follow the hop, I just looked at his tag, which was pretty cool.

It started at his blog, I think...
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 09:27:57 PM »
Wow she tried them out on all kinds of surfaces.... I think I am going to pass on them, I think they would be best for backgrounds and I don't do a lot of backgrounds myself, and if I do the distress inks work fine for me, save me some money and space to store them  O0

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 01:05:22 PM »
Caroline Dube did a comparison between gelatos and distress crayons.  She found very few differences.  But she did show how they work through a stencil.  I am still disappointed in these things.

https://youtu.be/ktUsfVWleCk
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 02:57:05 PM »
Thanks for the video, she was fun to watch. I like the stencil she used too!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 03:02:29 PM »
Yep it sounds like they are quite a bit like the others so you wouldn't need both