Author Topic: Craftsy class, Watercolor Cards made simple  (Read 7733 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Craftsy class, Watercolor Cards made simple
« on: April 27, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »
I posted this in the Sale/Retail therapy thread but thought maybe I should post here as well.

On Craftsy, Watercolor Cards Made Simple, with Deepti Malik, is on sale 50% off.  I checked just now and it is $14.99
I'm enrolled and about to start working through it.  Any other takers?  We can follow each other in the Craftsy classroom.

Heidi and Far North have already taken the class.  Heidi said she'd go through it again.  The instructor lists every stamp and stencil she uses but I plan to use what I have.  I did pick up a brush with a coupon a few days ago.  She uses pan watercolors and distress inks (at least in the few lessons I've peeked at so far). 

If you're not sure about this class but want to practice more watercoloring, please see Connie's post below.  There are lots of good suggestions.  I'm signed up for the Strathmore Artist Series Workshop that starts Monday, May 2nd (free).  What I like about the Craftsy class is that it's geared toward cardmakers, creating backgrounds and coloring stamped images.  The Strathmore class will definitely be larger scale, but I'm sure we can learn lots.

See you in class?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:00:06 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Craftsy class, Watercolor Cards made simple
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 09:17:24 AM »
I have had a much busier week than expected and I haven't had a chance to go back to the class yet.  I just took a much needed run, and so if I do some housework, then I won't feel badly about taking all the rest of the times to craft.  So I am still going to do it, if you were wondering!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 10:16:33 PM »
No problem. 
I didn't get real far.  I practiced washes and a few strokes.  I ran out of painter's tape.  I used a bit of washi tape and post it tape but only for a few.  They are expensive alternatives to painters tape.  :o
I told myself I would use what I have ... but today I did a little shopping!  I got some painters tape.  I was lusting after the board Deepti taped her paper down on.  Last night I used the back of a paper pad and the back of a canvas board.  I had pieces drying all over the place.  Today I found a board  that looks just like Deepti's for $5.99 at Hobby Lobby.  I didn't think that was too bad.  I'm keeping the boards I used last night because for practice it seems like I need all the room I can get.  I splurged and treated myself to a Koi travel set of pan watercolors that comes with a water brush.  I've been looking at that for years, ever since I worked at an art supply and my boss had one.  I got mine at Hobby Lobby with a 40 off coupon.  It's on sale for the same price I paid on Amazon (around $21, just in case anyone wants some enabling).  Now I'm anxious to play again!

Last night I felt like I got better results with wet on wet washes.  My wet on dry washes are streaky.  I was using Cotman tube watercolors.  I have lots of pieces suitable for die cutting, ha! 

Jump in when you get a chance!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 06:15:01 AM »
Cindi, that Koi Travel Box is the same one I got for Christmas.  I think it is the one Deepti uses in the videos too.

I also had a little trouble with streaky washes.  I cannot remember now if it was wet or dry...

I have a plexiglas thing that I used to tape down the paper.  It was some odd thing we had around. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 10:00:21 AM »
I too have the same travel box.  I like the KOI paints a lot but my waterbrush discharges too much water for my ability to control it. I like my results much better with a regular brush.

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 12:33:19 PM »
Oh my giddy aunt, I am such a putz.  I went and signed up for that class and another one by Shari Carol.  The Shari Carol one is layers on cards and since I like her videos and it was 19.99 too I signed up.  So sign me up for discussions on the watercolor class......

I also own the koi watercolor travel box.  I have used it quite a bit.  I use a waterbrush sometimes and others I use a watercolor brush.  I also do not use the same brushes for watercolor that I use for acrylic paints.  So keep that in mind.  The acrylics are rather hard on brushes and you will loose the tips faster, you need the tips for watercolor.

I will try and watch the first video while I clean the house this afternoon.  Thanks for hooking me up! 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 01:39:04 PM »
PS.  I certainly consider translucent watercolors as "light and airy" which is the challenge element of my new Happy Mail Swap...just sayin'  :o
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:52:55 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 09:17:52 PM »
Hah!  Sadie, glad you are joining in.

I would like the idea of the layers class since honestly I have so much trouble with that!  I love the look though. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 03:37:41 PM »
Yay!  Glad you are playing along Sadie!
Jan
discharges too much water
I'm having that issue too.  I've used it to re-wet and mix the colors, but then again, I found myself painting with it too.
I have trouble wanting to control everything, I keep messing with it!  So I tried again , to be more flowy, but I think I like my first effort better.

I bought some new brushes Friday.  The owner of a local art supply store helped me pick out a few.  I brought what I already had and he went through and showed me which are good enough, and which are "done".  I had the lists from both Craftsy and Strathmore classes.

Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 03:44:48 PM »
Ok, I'm going to try this one more time!
Nope, I guess not!!  My laptop/mouse is going flippin crazy.  Can't type. 
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 04:05:19 PM »
Anyway ...
I ended up buying Loew-Cornell golden taklon ultra round brushes in size 2 and 8, and a Simply Simmons #4 fan brush.  So far I'm very happy.
I already had Simply Simmons 14 mop (?I think), and a 3/4 flat from a previous watercolor class.

Thanks Sadie for reminding me to keep my watercolor brushes out of the acrylic paint!

Today my wet on wet wash was better ... so maybe I don't have a favorite yet!  I tried Deepti's suggestion to tap a damp paper towel through a stencil.  I had a hard time controlling how much water.  Sometimes it seeped under the stencil, sometimes I didn't have enough to take away any paint.

Off to practice some more ...

Before I go ... does anyone have any tip for mixing paint?  In the class, Deepti's paint is already mixed and ready to go.  When I try to move paint to a mixing area and wet it, or mix it, it seems all of the paint ends up in my brush with hardly any left on the palette!
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 06:17:24 PM »
When mixing the paint put a bit of water in the palette and make sure your brush and the colors you are mixing are also wet.  I use the Ranger mister, not the sprayer, but the little mister to wet the watercolor cakes before starting.  It takes water to make watercolor.  Make sure you rinse your brush between colors to keep the cakes from becoming contaminated.  Mixing works best if you put one color down and then wash your brush and bring another color down onto the palette and then mix them on the palette.  That way you can kind of tell how much of each color you have used in case you need more of the same color.  If you are using three colors make three different puddles and bring them together on the palette. 

I hope that helps.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 10:30:38 PM »
Yes it does Sadie!  Thanks you.  I'll try it that way tomorrow.
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 01:20:52 PM »
I watched a couple of the craftsy videos and the first Strathmore mind of watercolor video.  It appears that the Strathmore is tradition watercolor painting and the craftsy one is adapting the traditional watercoloring to cards.  They are both interesting in different ways.  The Strathmore one is more what I have been watching.  The craftsy one on the washes is really all one needs for card backgrounds.  The leading edge of the paint is the important thing.  Almost all watercolor artist stress that.  If you can keep the paint flowing from the leading edge your paint will be somewhat uniform when it dries.  The craftsy one points out the difference between wet color and dry color which is another thing most watercolorist stress.  Watercolor dries lighter then it looks wet.  The harsh edge lines are also important, sometimes you want that and other times you don't.

I don't know about the brushes thing.  Some watercolorists want the very best brushes (Sandy Alnock I am looking at you)  and others say use what you feel comfortable and can control in the way you want to control them.  I have the Ranger set and it is fine for some things but not others.  The points do not stay nice.  The idea is when you wet the brush it goes to a point ( round brushes) Ranger brushes do not have a very pronounced point.  I have lots of different brushes and they all work differently.  I get them and try them out on watercolor to see how much water they hold and how well they hold their points.  If they don't work for watercolor chances are they will work fine for acrylics.  I have the prima set and they are a firmer brush and work well with watercolor but I guess I like a firmer brush.  If you don't like a firmer brush try a softer brush.  The firmer brush is easier for me to use as dry brushing trees and bushes.  I think the main thing is that you need a brush you can make work for you which means you need to keep trying them until you find what works for you.

Well that is what I have gotten from watching the first couple of videos.....what have you gotten from watching them?  Please share!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 01:42:11 PM »
Cindi, that Koi Travel Box is the same one I got for Christmas.  I think it is the one Deepti uses in the videos too.

I also had a little trouble with streaky washes.  I cannot remember now if it was wet or dry...

I have a plexiglas thing that I used to tape down the paper.  It was some odd thing we had around.

I was watching the first video on brushes and brush strokes today and I saw the question (over at Craftsy) I had about this! Hah.  Anyhow, I do remember now that I tried to use reinkers instead of smooshed distress inks, and it was much harder to keep an even amount of pigment on the brush, because the reinker is so concentrated, it really depended too much on how much water was in the brush. 

Also, the more I practiced, I did get less streaks.  And, it was easier to keep that leading line and not move too slowly.
~~Heidi~~