Author Topic: AIR16 Sky's the limit challenge *** We have a Winner!***  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
AIR16 Sky's the limit challenge *** We have a Winner!***
« on: June 14, 2016, 04:20:01 PM »
AIR16 Sky's the Limit  June 14 - June 19, 2016

This challenge is inspired by a Craftsy watercolor class, a Strathmore Artist Workshop and Far North's "light and airy" mail swap.

Challenge :
               1) Make three or more sky backgrounds using the wet on wet technique or the tissue lift technique.  (If you don't own any watercolor
                    paper these wet techniques will probably not work for you.  If that is the case please make sky backgrounds using a technique of your choice)
                    The object is to practice, and to have extra skies for you to play with later.
               2)  Choose one of your favorite skies and make a card such that the sky covers at least half of your card front. (so yes you can trim it down, but
                     it needs to be a prominent feature on your card.)
               3)  Please post a picture of your three or more sky backgrounds (one photo containing all 3 is fine).  You can post the backgrounds in
                     the discussion thread.  Post a picture of your card in the AIR16 gallery, using the KEYWORD: AIR16SKY.  Link your finished card in this
                     discussion thread.

Resources :
                I learned how to make the background in my sample card (wet on wet) from a Strathmore Artist Networkclass.  It's free, but you need to register, the sky technique is in the Week 1 video.  The same instructor, Steve Mitchell of Mind of Watercolor, has posted thisyoutube video.  It's a similar technique to the Strathmore class, though I do recommend the class.  Another technique demonstrated a bit on the youtube video, and I'm sure in other videos out there, is to create a watercolor wash and then lift paint with crumpled tissue to create clouds. 
                I hope you're not reluctant to make three or more backgrounds.  You'll see in the video, it's almost as easy to make 4 as it is one. 
                Have fun!  Feel free to ask questions and share your experiences here.

ETA : Combining with other challenges is allowed.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:22:31 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: AIR16 Sky's the limit challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 04:29:42 PM »
Thanks Cindi this sounds like fun!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 04:35:43 PM »
It was pretty fun!  The hardest part for me was to remember to leave some light/white space.  I tend to tinker with it too much!

I had a different challenge in mind, but it involved ink blending  :o.    I decided this would add a little more variety to the challenges (and I had some samples ready to share).  We'll do the other one another time.
Cindi

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 06:01:03 PM »
I'm going to try this one next!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 07:27:37 PM »
Wonderful SWLady!  I hope you like it!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 07:30:12 PM »
This looks fun!  I will give it a try!  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 01:19:31 PM »
I enjoyed watching the video. He explained things very well. I made 4 skies and enjoyed the process!

Here are the 4 skies    http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2723#top_display_media

Here is my card entry  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2724#top_display_media

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 06:01:21 PM »
I'm glad you liked the video, April.  You made some wonderful, colorful skies and a dreamy card!
Thanks for taking my challenge!
Cindi

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 07:47:24 PM »
So you pick the one thing in watercolor that I suck at! hahaha. I've done about 6 now and don't like any of them!

I will say one thing though, I have been using my Tim Holtz distress watercolor cardstock. It pills.. or whatever you call it, little flakes come off. I used my regular watercolor paper today and it came out much better. So I may try the spritzing Vintage again with my watercolor paper and see if I can get it to work!

Back to more skies! LOL

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 09:30:45 PM »
Oooh, so sorry it's giving you trouble!  Even after they dry, and you stamp something or layer over the top you don't like your skies?  That's a bummer about the TH paper!  Good to know though.  I have a pack.  I'll save it for light watercoloring in stamped images.  I've been using Canson.  I buy the 5.5 x 8.5  spiral pads at my local JoAnns whenever I have a coupon and everything else is on sale!  It's 140lb cold press and holds up well to lots of water, especially if you tape it down.   I also have a pad of  Strathmore cold press, 140lb.  That was recommended by the Art Impressions people at a stamp show.

I've been struggling all night trying to make a frame that is straight on all four sides!  Why, I don't know ... I have frame stamps.  Just stubborn I guess, got an idea and I'm gonna make it work no matter what!

I hope the watercolor gremlins are nicer to you tomorrow!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 09:36:50 PM »
I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I just wanted to say that I also have thought that the Tim Holtz watercolor paper is not as strong as other brands I have tried.  I still think it is good for lots of things, too.
~~Heidi~~

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »
I posted 3 of my backgrounds that I wasn't real happy with. They were done on 140lb watercolor paper which is a bit heavy for card making but I found I didn't like the Tim Holtz watercolor card stock at all!

Here are the backgrounds: Skies

I have done another background that I really liked and am turning it into a card. It is not finished yet so I will post it in a bit.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 08:07:16 PM »
This challenge and the blending challenge are the last two left for me.  I will make time for it this weekend!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 01:15:09 PM »
I made the four backgrounds on heavy watercolor paper and kids pan watercolors.
Made my card with hot air balloon stamp.  Made the balloon on white cardstock to get the white strip and cut it out and pop dotted it over the balloon I stamped in black to make shadow.
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/index.php?cat=26
Born on the fourth of July

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 04:25:58 PM »
I made four backgrounds for this challenge.  One I made into a card.  I used prima pan water colors for the backgrounds.  The backgrounds are attached to this post.  The card is here.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......