Author Topic: Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge, 2016  (Read 8292 times)

Offline djc

• Stampers
Re: Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge, 2016
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 08:42:42 PM »
Cindi, you set me up!  lol.  I love all three, but you're right.  The first one you posted isn't my favorite one either.  I prefer the ones with the all-around mat; my favorite is #2. 

You did a great job coloring them.  After looking at the samples you linked here, I went back and looked at yours.  They still look fine!  Then I went to see what I had done with this image.  I remember having trouble with it so I went looking for a sample too.  I knew who made it so it wasn't too hard to find some.  However, comparing mine to yours, I can see why I wasn't that impressed with my results.  It's bland.  I need to try again and make the colors warmer and more vibrant the way you did.

Daria

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 10:09:46 PM »
 :angel:  heehee, didn't mean to set you up!  I was late for dinner!

I debated adding some sparkle to this, but didn't know if it really fit the homey image (and didn't want to mess it up).  I didn't have them at the time, but now I have a few Spectrum Noir Sparkle pens, might be pretty?

I was thinking the image would be nice with a sentiment like "from our house to yours" but I didn't have anything like that.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 09:04:36 AM »
I did add some embellishments to my card and posted it in the gallery here.

I tried so many different colors on the partridge stamp.  I tried to use realistic colors at first, and quickly figured out that it was not going to look right.  I think because the drawing is not realistic.  So I did use brown, but made his back light and tummy dark (it is opposite in real life) and then he looked a lot better.

Sorry the photo is a bit blurry.  I will be using this stamp again, I like the look of it. 

So I met my goal of 5 cards, but now I hope that get a few more done too. I do not know how many I have made this year, but I know it is not many!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 10:21:18 AM »
Heidi, I love the image you used.  I agree with your coloring decisions.  I am always drawn to the Partridge in a Pear Tree.  I think I have at least three of them.  When I commented on it, I called it stylized; I think it has almost an oriental gracefulness about it.  A winner!  Use it more!

I need to find some of those fun candy enamel dots!

Daria

ETA:  Cindi, we need to learn a bit of calligraphy.  I wanted to use "Silver Bells" on the cards where I used silver Wink of Stella on the bells, but I didn't have that sentiment stamp.  If you want to try your sparkle pens with that image, stamp it again.  That way you can try it out and see if you like it without messing up the beautiful ones you've already made. 

Daria
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 10:26:10 AM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 11:34:19 AM »
Thank you Daria. 

I found the enamel dots, they are American crafts.  http://www.acherryontop.com/shop/company/american_crafts/303942-Candy+-+Holiday+Details+Enamel+Dots

I got them at AC Moore on clearance after Christmas.

There are many partridge in a pear tree stamps!  I think I have a partridge stamp, but this is the first in a pear tree for me.  I was wondering if this one was supposed to look like it was carved in wood.  I might go back to the stamp site and see if it says anything in the description.

I started a new Christmas card today, too!   
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 01:07:05 PM »
I like your bright and cheery partridge card Heidi.  I'm a sucker for partridge's too!

we need to learn a bit of calligraphy

Yes we do!  I was practicing some brush calligraphy a month or so ago.  It kind of fell by the wayside like so many other projects before it!

I just got a rather large SU rotating stamp where you rotate the letters around on the handle to spell out words ... it has kind of an old typewriter look that I didn't think would fit well with my basket image.  Haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Good for you Heidi, on to the next card!
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2016, 10:02:24 PM »
Please don't forget to post your cards in the gallery set aside for Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge 2016.  You'll find it in the Challenges section.

Thanks,
Daria

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2016, 07:59:16 AM »
Thanks for the reminder about the gallery.  I had two out of three of my cards in the wrong gallery  :idiot2:!  They were easy to move by just editing the post ... hmmm, I bet my links in the forum won't work anymore though.  I'll give them a test and fix them too. 
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2016, 08:02:05 AM »
 O0 Easy peasy.  The links still worked! 
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2016, 08:21:15 AM »
All of mine were in the wrong place, I updated them now!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2016, 11:23:56 AM »
Thank you.  Cindi, I'm surprised that the old link works for the new location.  Weird!  I'll never understand cyberspace except I know it has it's own set of rules and a mind of its own.  lol.

Daria
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:16:07 PM by djc »

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2016, 09:04:44 AM »
Iring, I looked at your wonderful Holly Baskets and at the photo of the stamp.
I like the way you colored it.  That area brown doesn't look correct.
I have a wreath stamp that I color parts green that are not suppose to be green, but it looks better to me and it is my art!  If that part looks like it should be green, then it is your art to make whatever.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2016, 04:06:58 PM »
 O0  Thanks Yankee!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2016, 07:56:08 AM »
I made a card yesterday! 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2824#top_display_media

I also have a couple other cards made, but I haven't photographed them yet.  I am feeling like this has been a very good month for Christmas!  I still need to do an overall count of my cards for this year so I know how many more I need to get done.
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2016, 08:04:16 AM »
Heidi, this card is wonderful.  I love the layout, colors, and details.  All your choices work beautifully together. 

Daria