Author Topic: Alcohol Ink  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Alcohol Ink
« on: September 13, 2016, 01:28:37 PM »
Alcohol Ink
Recently I took Tim Holtz’ Creative Chemistry 103 Online Class.  One topic is using alcohol ink on yupo.  Here are a few new tips I learned:

Safety:   Alcohol ink is flammable-keep away from open flames.  Blending solution is formulated with a resin which helps it to dry quickly and adhere to the surface.  Unfortunately this means blending solution could be dangerous if inhaled.  Ranger Inks provides a warning against using it in a mister.  Rubbing alcohol does not contain a resin and therefore is less dangerous for use in a mister (but still use with caution).  Blending felt or foam should be thrown away after they are used because they are flammable.

Yupo is a manufactured polypropylene surface which inks will not penetrate and either side can be used or both sides for special projects.  It provides a sensitive surface for vibrant alcohol inks.  To soften the colors blending solution can be added with a blending felt or splashed on or dropped on.  A light touch of felt with the blending tool will result in smaller dots.

Techniques: stamped resist; texture resist uses an embossing folder; faded layers (uses stencils), painting with alcohol inks, create landscapes by drinking straw thru AI, making flowers by using canned air to make petals.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:13:10 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Alcohol Ink
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 02:45:24 PM »
Thanks for the AI tips and especially regarding your experience with the Yupo paper. I have not had a chance to use any quite yet, but I have been thinking of getting out my AI and making a few new backgrounds to have on hand.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 06:08:09 PM »
I took Tims Holtz 103 also.  Learned tons.  I love the yupo paper, but it is expensive.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 11:20:11 AM »
I took Tims Holtz 103 also.  Learned tons.  I love the yupo paper, but it is expensive.

I agree yupo is an expensive product!  I started using it before Tim and Ranger released the product with their name. Ranger's 5x7 sheets cost about $10. for 10 sheets.  Ellen Hutson sells the original 9 x 12 pad with 10 sheets for about $16 which I cut into 4 A2 pieces and scraps/sheet-resulting in 40 + pieces making it considerably less expensive.  I watch for a sale at Ellen's which usually covers my shipping expense.  You might find the original Yupo pads available in local Art Supply stores.  I save all the scraps for testing colors an new techniques and work on both sides too.

Does anyone recall seeing demonstrations with the translucent yupo?

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 12:16:11 PM »
I am always surprised when I see people putting chemicals in misters.  I figure if someone isn't marketing it in a mister, I probably shouldn't do it on my own.

I have yet to try the yupo paper.  But amazon does have the 9x12 pad for $14.03 with free shipping if you are a prime member. 
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 09:15:42 AM »
Thanks Sarah for the info about purchasng Yupo from Amazon!