Author Topic: Using embossing folders as stamps  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
Using embossing folders as stamps
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »
I just saw this technique on Pinterest - here is the link- I hope it works:  http://www.pinterest.com/pin/283586107761157579.  I can't wait to try it - now my embossing folders have an additional use. 

Please let me know if you have tried this before and how you liked the technique.

Thanks for reading.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: Using embossing folders as stamps
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 02:49:38 PM »
Cool Ann!  I think I have figured out why I get ink on my embossing folders!!!!---I have never used a brayer to apply the ink; I have always just applied the ink from the pad and it always gets in the grooves.  I have inked the embossing folders then ran them through the cuttlebug but I haven't used them like she did as a stamp!

Thanks for sharing!  I am going to try this!
~~Melissa :)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »
I have used embossing folders as stamps before.  I used the Sizzix gear folder as a stamp on a background.  I just used my ink pad to ink the embossing folder though because using a brayer takes more time, but the brayer might get better results.  I put the paper I was stamping onto my big stamp pad which is just a big piece of craft foam to stamp so it would pick up more of the image.

I have also inked the inside of the folder, closed it over the paper, and run it through my Fiskars Fuse.  So I have used them several different ways.  You can also put acrylic paint inside the folder the same way you would ink.  I have used the dobbers paint to apply the paint inside the embossing folder.  That turned out really well too.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »
This is cool. After inking it up with Versa Mark you could use clear embossing powder and then sponge on ink,then wipe the ink off the ep, or use colored ep and leave it as is. This makes a nice background. Thanks for sharing! :smile:

Stampwilly

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 06:41:48 PM »
Ann this technique makes a fabulous background.  I am seeing used in lots of challenges!  I was going to use it for a Stamp n Dash challenge right before 2 Peas closed...that's history!  I find that a brayer works well. I have a 3" soft rubber one that I can easily ink with 2 colors for folders with lots of detailed inking.  I do keep a baby wipe handy to take off overages where I don't want color...but I sure don't worry about being precise...this is an artsy look.   

The look of doing this technique with multi-colors is a lot different than with VersaMark.  Here is a link to using colors. And here are some gallery results.

I have heard 1-2 times that versamark evaporates and the image when stamp for a tone on tone disappears over time...has anyone else heard that?  I know I haven't seen it used in that manner much any more..but perhaps it is just the cycle or a bad rumor.

Thanks for sharing Ann!

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 11:55:15 AM »
Thanks for your responses - This will be one of my things to try and do in September.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 03:31:33 PM »
I used this technique on cards I recently posted in the gallery.
Here is a link
And this is another.

...Jan
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:35:53 PM by Far North »