Author Topic: Masking or Layering Stamped images? A discussion.  (Read 5778 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Masking or Layering Stamped images? A discussion.
« on: August 13, 2014, 01:26:25 PM »
Most of my fellow Inksters already know that I enjoy both ways of assembling stamped images on a project. AND I know that many of you can do likewise.

This chat is about how we decide which route we want to go when using multiple stamped images on a piece. Might be one image or multiple images.

And it's fine if you share that you've done both on the same project!

This conversation is not about the techniques so much as sharing how we think when we're in designer mode.

Let the chat begin...
Daniel

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
Re: Masking or Layering Stamped images? A discussion.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »
I am going to pay attention to this thread! I have a terrible time with masking! Trying to figure out which one should be where and all that.  #>

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »
I find that with masking images, that I need to plan out those parts of the card ahead of time. It's kinda like doing a puzzle to me (but I like puzzles) and I do have to stop and think about what goes where before stamping.

Now there have been times where I'd like the stamp image to be behind another one but I'd be too lazy to mask a really complicated image. In those cases, I try to see if there is a way to get around the masking and still have what I want stamped in the back--- again, that gets me back to doing another "puzzle".   :smile: sometimes it works and sometimes I scrap the masking all together and sometimes I just go through the fussy cutting to get the mask made.

This paragraph is not to derail the thread but: How complicated is TOO complicated for y'all to mask something---which basically means, how complicated of an image will you fussy cut to mask?  I think I know Daniel's answer!  :smile:  I tell myself I only need to cut this image out ONE time then just keep up with it for future maskings---in which case I put a piece of removable adhesive on the back of the mask and store it on top of the stamp---how do those with unmounted stamps keep up with your masks?

I realized I only spoke of masking. Before I comment on layering I want to double check: "layering" is putting an image on top of another right---so for example I'd have a base with a stamped image on it and the put a stamped image I fussy cut out on top of the base layer?  Or does layering have to do with masking?  ???
~~Melissa :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:24:01 PM »
I use masking when I want one seamless single image(s)...often a single layered card or when I want to create depth on a single layer.  I think diecuts are the current rage in layering elements.  For multi-media projects layering provides an easy way to change mediums and materials and it often provides added dimension and texture.

Melissa, folks certainly have different ways of masking. I only cut partial image masks. I only do the detailed cutting where the two stamps cross over (usually 1-2") and a a few big cuts to provide more masking material to protect other areas from accidentally get inked.

My stamps are layered in my storage drawers. Any masks on the wood get crumpled particularly if the are lots of fussy cut edges. Besides I don't want inky papers and their sticky on my pretty and spendy wooden blocks.  In my mind there are just too many other techniques to try.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:25:52 AM by Far North »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 12:07:43 PM »
I am going to pay attention to this thread! I have a terrible time with masking! Trying to figure out which one should be where and all that.  #>

LOL, Kathy! Trust me! I've been masking for a loooong time & I still deal with this aspect of masking. Here's one way I've tried to deal with where the images 'need' to be. I use a different color ink for each stamp & do several versions of the composition on plain (white) paper. Not only does this allow me to get a good idea of what stamp goes first (foreground to background with masking), but I can often cut masks from the tryouts.

LOL, Melissa! I luv your 'too complicated' comment! A perfect addition to this discussion.

When it comes to masking or layering stamped images, we're talking about fussy-cutting. With masking, I can (sometimes) reduce the number of masks I need to make, but if I'm doing all-layered, I know I have to cut all the stamped images. So I pick my battles.

Jan. 'Seamless' is a great adjetive for the results of masking stamped images. That can also apply to layered work depending on how the layering is done. With layering, you have the addition of being sure that the under-layer image will not show thru--unless it's meant to.

Let's keep chatting! O0

Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 02:06:18 PM »
Another way to "deal with where the images need to be"....I keep thin pieces of thin packaging plastic to stamp my images on with stazon. I cut off excess plastic that will be in way with big lopping cuts. Generally the plastic is too thick to use as masks. Overlay a images until the desired layout is achieved. Tape together to keep the idea.  I use sharpies to mark in any areas where I might have coloring issues later.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »
Sometimes I wil mask with just a sheet of paper or the corner of it or a piece I tore off…..which reminds me that I want to try the technique where hills/mountains are made with the torn paper. 

But back to using the sheet for masking: I use the piece of paper all the time when stamping with my scene stamps---I'll cover up the pond or the left tree line so I can add to the right or above or below the center scene stamp.   I have never fussy cut my scene stamps to use for masking…so far I haven't had to do that to get the scenes I wanted; the piece of paper has always worked, but that may be the nature of the scene stamp (things kinda blend when using them).

~~Melissa :)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »
I don't do much masking because I just don't like thinking about it! LOL! :-\ I usually fussy cut or stamp an image on a die to place over top and have other stamps in the background.

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 09:32:35 AM »
My bigger trouble with masking is to find two or more images that "go" together well.  I have a larger set of stamps now than a year ago, but I still find it hard to find exactly what I want.

I most often use masking to put an image inside a frame stamp or something like that.  I don't usually keep my masks, as they get worn out quickly since i usually use copy paper, so I adjust how fussy I cut them with the specific project.  I practice a lot before each project when I use masking, so I just make adjustments as I go.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 12:54:36 PM »
Much as I tend to enjoy masking, there are occasions when I yearn to 'layer', but cannot. Case in point?

A fellow Club Posh member challenged us to create a stamped piece without layering any of the stamping. "Piece of cake!", says I. (Oh the sin of over-confidence) ;D   Here's what I made.  Not bad, but... Let me share why I wish I'd been able to so some layering.

With masking as my only option for the layout, I had to stamp the frog & salamander first & the teacup second. That way they would appear to be coming out of the cup (frog) or climbing on it (salamander).  I could have solved the problem by using a light box (didn't have it handy) or using a sunlit window (didn't think of it). Anyhoo... What I would have done is position a stamped teacup behind the project paper & stamp the frog & lizard  exactly where I wanted them.
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »
Terrific piece of creativity Daniel!  However I thought you were the guy who "auditions" your stamps so you work around issues you don't like. 

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »
Daniel, I like those critters with the dainty teacup!  Your idea of a sunlit window is genius!

Good point about the auditions,  ;) ;), Jan!

~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 10:51:59 AM »
Terrific piece of creativity Daniel!  However I thought you were the guy who "auditions" your stamps so you work around issues you don't like.

LOL, Jan! Actually I spent lots of effort 'auditioning' on this card. That did help a bit for some of the placement, but (ultimately) I had to trust my instincts & experience. 'Course that's what we all do at some point, hain't? ;D

Given free rein, I most prefer using both masking & layering on a project. That said, I know that some of my best work has been done when I am forced to work with limitations--whatever they might be. It's one thing I enjoy about challenges hosted by so many of us here.
Daniel

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »
I don't really do much masking.  I can do but it isn't really a go to in my bag of tricks.  I think it is because I don't tend to combine stamped images in a way where masking makes sense.  I do however fussy cut for layering all the time.  And it is usually because I want to pop up all or part of the image. In fact, I did it on a couple of the fall/ Halloween cards I just finished for OWH. 

And really thinking about it, I think the last two times I used masking were for challenges hosted by Daniel - build a dwelling from WSW14 and build a scarecrow from SOF13. 

And I love the frog and lizard tea cup, Daniel.  It's fabulous. 
Sarah

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
This is a great thread with very useful tips O0.

Daniel, love your piece!!

I'm a lazy stamper and don't do masking very much.  I  always like the results I get but I don't do masking very much. I should make more effort to do so.
LeighAnn