Author Topic: Torn Paper Masks--Ways to make & use?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Torn Paper Masks--Ways to make & use?
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:25:46 AM »
On the 'masking/layering' thread, Yellowcheerios (Melissa) mentioned wanting to try doing torn paper for masks that will look like hills & mountains. Good Oh (as the Brits say). That's definitely one way to use torn paper in a masking way.

But, as with any good technique, there are lots of variations for making & using torn paper as masks. Let's share our tips & experience with one-another. OK?

Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Torn Paper Masks--Ways to make & use?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:37:08 AM »
One thing I've played with is doing both 'free form' tearing & 'less-free' tearing.

For the 'less free' version, I draw a very light pencil line on the paper & use it as a guide for tearing. I like using this technique when I want to make shapes especially. Drawing an outline of the shape--oval, circle, square, heart, etc.--helps keep me 'on track', but the resultant mask still has a great torn paper look.

If I want to do a torn positive & negative, I find that painting a line of water on the shape helps me tear the shape & leave a good frame, too.
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 12:27:50 PM »
I like the idea of using water to help with tearing the paper!   O0  Going to try that after I get this wedding card finished---hopefully over the weekend.

I mentioned on the other masking thread that I use torn paper (and regular, "un-torn" paper) to mask my scene stamps---those stamps, for example, that have a pond with trees around it---I will tear off a paper piece to just cover up the trees while I add more trees behind the other trees or beside the pond.  

I have to use the torn paper b/c I ink other PARTS of the scene stamp to add to the scene, so the torn paper makes it so I don't double stamp a pond somewhere else in the scene.   :smile:  Using the torn paper to mask makes it where I don't have to buy additional scene stamps….though I did break down this weekend and bought a pine tree stamp to use with the scenes.  :)  Now of course the paper does not have to be torn for covering up the scene …it can though help shape the masking of the trees or area  your stamping onto. 

Right now I am brainstorming and thinking of ~what if~ I combined torn paper "hills" and then stamped some of my scene trees behind it….hhmm….  This is another thing I am going to try soon…

oh, I am also wondering if using torn edges to mask, softens the edges where the ink appears on the CS below the torn paper mask…  ???
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:35:35 PM by yellowcherrios »
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 01:03:12 PM »
Great post. Melissa!

'Wondering' is often the first step on the path to 'wonderful', but only if we try things. Looking forward to hearing (seeing) where your wondering takes you (& the rest of us). pal! O0
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 01:00:18 PM »
I have seen a neat cloudy sky design using paper towel as the mask. I need to find that link with the tutorial, and of course, try it out to see if it actually works as pictured.
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 01:02:19 PM »
I have used torn paper to use as a mask and then used distress ink inside the mask to get a very pretty look.  After you apply the distress ink, you can either stamp over the area with the mask in place, or remove the msk and stamp.  It makes a great one layer card. I will try to see if I can get an example uploaded, but I am pretty sure it is on my old computer.
~~Heidi~~