Author Topic: Crayon Rub  (Read 2397 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Crayon Rub
« on: August 26, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »
Here is a technique that I played with a little while ago. It is a crayon rub.

1. find a collage like stamp, doesn't have to be real large and turn it upside down.
2. place a white coffee filter over the stamp.
3. peel off the paper of a dark crayon, black seemed to work better for me.
4. hold the coffee filter steady with one hand and rub hard with the side of the crayon with the other hand
5. now water color over the image using several colors and adhere to white cs.

Here are some samples and 2 cards I made with some of the rub ons.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=478#top_display_media
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=476#top_display_media
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=477#top_display_media
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=479#top_display_media

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Crayon Rub
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 07:21:19 AM »
I have not seen this technique before ever.  Really nice, soft results.  I don't have any white coffee filters, but next time I buy them I will get white so I can try this.  TFS!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »
Neat technique Stampwilly!

I noticed on the card with the butterfly embellishment and cursive in the stamp, that the image is "backwards"----neat!   :smile:
~~Melissa :)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 11:14:31 AM »
Good eye, Melissa! ;D That happens with writing. Anyway, it's artistic! LOL! ;D

Stampwilly

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:24:28 AM »
Neat technique Stampwilly!

I noticed on the card with the butterfly embellishment and cursive in the stamp, that the image is "backwards"----neat!   :smile:

LOL, Melissa! I noticed the reverse, too.  

As usual April, you share awesome stuff--with easy learning curves. You are so great, pal!

May I add a few things that are still within the technique as you give it?

1. You can use multiple stamps to build your own composition. This is when I like using broken crayons so I can 'control' the rubbing.
2. The fat crayons available are great for large rubbings.
3. White crayon will produce a wonderful effect. Once you add the watercolor, the image appears like magic!
4. Used filters can be used. Empty them of the grounds, rinse & allow to dry before rubbing & adding other color.

I know what I'll be doing today, Willy! Huge TY for the inspiration!
Daniel

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 01:07:17 PM »
Cool technique.  I'm wondering how this would work using unbleached coffee filters.  I don't buy the white ones, but I may give this a try with my brown filters.  I'm thinking it might be cool with a white crayon. 

Willy, those examples are fabulous.  You're awesome.
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 02:03:21 PM »
Thanks, Sarah. I would love to see how this works on brown coffee filters. I thought that the image might now show up well, but it is always fun to try and see what happens. :smile:

Stampwilly

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »
This is another really neat technique.  We don't use coffee filters cause we have a reusable one.  But I might be able to steal one from a "kid".  I will have to keep that in mind next time I go visiting.  LOL! 

Thank you for sharing this technique.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......