Author Topic: Sharing 'What Ifs' Techniques  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Sharing 'What Ifs' Techniques
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »
As a crafter of some years (decades), "what if?" has been my byword for many of those years. I'll see someone's project or run across a material & like what I see. Then...The 'what if' kicks in.

I'll winder what might happen 'if' I did this or that with the idea or material. Sometimes I've actually tried out my 'ifs'. Other times they stay on a back-burner for a period of time--weeks, months, years--until something (or someone) reminds me about the 'WI'.

So this is your opportunity to share your 'WIs' & you don't have to actually do the work--just share the idea & its souce(s).

NOTE If your WI is something you plan to use for 'commercial' work in the Craft Industry, I strongly urge you to consider before sharing here.  Me?  I figure ideas--good, bad & yadda, yadda--are out there in the ether just waiting to be plucked. They are often discovered by several artists @ the same time & each artist brings their take to the table.

Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Sharing 'What Ifs' Techniques
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »
My most recent 'WI' is inspired by Stampwilly's (April) current Oldies challenge and an episode of 'Project Runway'--plus numerous unremembered sources... ::) But here goes...

What if I 'inked' a stamp with glue stick & used other-than-embossing powder to create the color. I could use powdered spices, dyes & other (finely ground) materials to adhere & describe the stamped image.

With the powdered dye, I might be able to send a project to someone & instruct them to sptitz it with water so the color 'blooms' before their eyes.

Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 09:48:10 AM »
Powdered dye!????

I think glitter would work there too. 

I try to keep a list of "Crafting To Do" that often includes your sort of what-if ideas that I come up with when looking at projects in galleries and pinterest and such. 

I tried one yesterday that was a fail, but still fun.

I wanted to see if I made a distress ink panel, then put a stencil over and spritzed with water, if it would look nice.  The answer was that it just was far to subtle, but then again, it might have worked better if I used watercolor paper.  So that is another what-if I could try sometime.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »
Daniel, what if you used kool-aid instead of spices on blur stick.
I will bet the receiver could spray it with water and get color.
I thing I still have your address, you want me to stamp something and try kool-aid and mail it to you?
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »
Daniel, what if you used kool-aid instead of spices on blur stick.
I will bet the receiver could spray it with water and get color.
I thing I still have your address, you want me to stamp something and try kool-aid and mail it to you?

How lovely to see you joining us, Yankee!

Far as sending a piece to me? I'd rather see you try it & share your results with all our fellow members here first. OK?

Heidi. When the guy on 'runway' (just eliminated) did the powder dye (RIT), he discovered that the powder was very fine & had to deal with applying it very carefully. Sounds similar to dealing with fine EPs.

I really like your idea of 'isolating' an inked area with a stencil so it can be wetted without affecting other parts. I'd suggest backing the stencil with a low-tack adhesive & see what happens.
Daniel