Author Topic: Cuttlebug going out?  (Read 2046 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Cuttlebug going out?
« on: February 21, 2015, 09:30:23 AM »
How do you know if your cuttlebug is going out?   Can it go out?

I am finding that when I use it to cut, that any part if the stencil that is in the middle of the plate doesn't get cut.... ???  At first I thought it was only with certain dies, but now it seems to happen with all dies.  Thus I have to make serve real passes to cut and also turning those that can be turned sideways seems to help out....I haven't added wedges....wasnt sure if that would ruin something, but may have to try to see if helps...
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Cuttlebug going out?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 09:34:03 AM »
Not heard of the actual CB going 'out', Melissa. Try adding shims (one at a time) & see if that helps. Might could be one of your plates needs replacing. But I wouldn't rush to replace them 'til you tey shimming. HTH!
Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 10:32:06 AM »
I haven't heard of one going out but I'm sure it very well could.

I agree with Daniel, I know I've seen some crafters reccomend a thick piece of cardstock sandwiched in to help cut intricate dies.

It could be the plates too. Mine are getting to be in rough shape but I mostly use mine for embossing.
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »
I just got new plates for my cuttlebug because my old plates were too warped and they did not make contact everywhere, and therefore all my dies were not cutting. 

I also have a thin metal shim to use for intricate dies that seem to need it.  Before I got that,  I used a cardboard piece of packaging for a shim.

I have heard of Cuttlebugs getting looser over time, but unless it completely breaks somehow, I would think you could just add shims. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 01:22:12 PM »
Oh I have been using and reusing a B plate that is badly warped.  I did buy some of those b plates that were on clearance....I guess I better pul one of them out!

Thanks for the suggestions and experiences everyone.

And I am interested in that metal shim!

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 03:02:04 PM »
Yes it sounds like your plates are warped (bowed) from cutting. It is natural but you do need to manage how you use your plates to keep them for a long time. I have only had to get a new one to replace a broken plate and they usually have extreme cuts by that time. Do you use the designated plate for cutting vs embossing?...Keeping 1 without cuts gets better embossing results.

I agree shims will be the most helpful to your situation.  I would not advise wedges. If your handle cranking becomes a lot stiffer when trying to turn it-stop and take out some shims.  Every time I have broken a plate I have known I was cranking too hard.

Some additional suggestions.  Are you flipping your cutting plates over when you see they are bowing?  Are you repositioning your smaller dies alternating the sides of the platform you are using?  Also I always begin the placement of the die/embossing folder and cardstock below the designated line on the plate and when turn them around I allow the small amount of space.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:17:25 PM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 04:05:12 PM »
Great tips Jan!!  I do flip the plates but probably not as often as I should... :-\   I'll be better about this next set.  I used to keep one for cutting and one for embossing until one day I didn't pay attention to the direction the die was cutting and have cut into it...it only has a handful of cuts now and it is still my straightest plate so I will try that one here and hope that helps...then I can keep the new ones for embossing and back up. 

I know I need to get better about not forcing the machine...It makes really nice, crisp embossing but it also wears out my hand/arm.  Most of the time I have to turn it with my hand right where the crank handle connects to the machine (not from it's handle)---thus I think I am forcing a bit too many shims through, but it seems to not moss real detailed if not..  I didn't know about the plates being warped could make it not emboss as well....that is probably my problem.  I will try these suggestions and not force it and see what happens.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 05:40:30 PM »
As an aside, I noticed that my new B plates are a slightly different plastic than my old ones.  The new ones are a solid layer of what looks to be polycarbonate, and the old ones actually were a few layers of plastic molded together.  I am hoping the solid plate will warp less easily, but polycarbonate is rigid and may possibly crack more easily. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 11:27:53 AM »
I haven't tried it ... but I know I've heard it mentioned that you can reverse warping with hot water somehow?  You might google it, or search youtube.  I don't know if it matters if they are cuttlebug or big shot plates?
Cindi