Author Topic: How are rubber stamps made?  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
How are rubber stamps made?
« on: April 17, 2015, 03:04:40 PM »
Wow in all the years I have been stamping I don't believe I have ever seen the process of a commercial business making rubber stamps.  Today I came across a video on Technique Junkie's owner Pat Huntoon's blog showing how Pat makes rubber stamps.   I found it fascinating and hope you do too!

For those of you who have been stamping for some time you might have been familiar with the Stamp Camp business that was known for it’s less expensive unmounted rubber background stamps.  A while back Pat purchased the business and now sells those stamps as well as new ones on her website and at stamp shows. 

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: How are rubber stamps made?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 08:47:06 PM »
Cool!  Thanks so much for sharing.

I once saw a video or photo blog on how Stamps of Life makes their photopolymer stamps which was pretty cool too. 

And I think Hero Arts may have shown part of their process (was different than what you saw, I think..)

~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:57:29 AM »
That video was very interesting.  Thank you for sharing.  The machine that is used for pressure and heat is neat, but the bandsaw looks a little like a cut hand waiting to happen.  The big rolls of rubber and cling are so neat.  It looks like they make every stamp by hand and in the USA.  It actually looks more labor intensive then I would have thought.  I wonder if they keep a set amount of already made stamps in inventory so they don't have to make to order, or if they make all to order (as in don't have any inventory on hand that isn't sold).

Again thank you for sharing that video.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 02:55:27 PM »
I agree that it looks very labor intensive to make a stamp.  One of the processes for rubber I saw (or read about but haven't been able to find again) included a big die type of thing that stamped down on the rubber to cut the all the stamps in a panel all at once. 

And yes, the bandsaw had me wondering about proper PPE but she obviously also was a pro!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 09:42:52 AM »
Thanks Jan!  That was so cool! 

I was surprised by the "shim"---I thought that having a small strip running across the stamp like that would leave a mark on the other side b/c of being pressed further in that shim area.   ???

At first I couldn't believe they needed a band saw, but that definitely would make trimming faster and easier! 

And I also thought the woman's green nails looked like alcohol ink!    ;D
~~Melissa :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 08:26:19 PM »
Glad folks enjoyed this too! I wasn't wearing my glasses when I first watched it and thought the saw did cut through more than one finger.   I had to stop the action before continuing LOL!

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 11:34:50 AM »
I'm on Pat's Technique Junkie design team and am really in love with the new stamps she has come out with.  Most of my cards in the gallery are from Technique Junkies.  I also enjoyed viewing the video of how stamps were made.
Beth