Author Topic: layering stamp sets  (Read 4132 times)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
layering stamp sets
« on: May 07, 2015, 12:11:50 PM »
I saw these on the hero arts website recently and love the designs on them. My favorite is the bird one. I love the sentiments that are with it. I thought I'd share since a lot of us are bird lovers!

http://issuu.com/heroarts/docs/summer_single_hi?e=11528737/12235405

I have a couple of layering stamp sets that I have purchased from Wplus9 and Avery Elle. I really like the concept of them. I've experimented with using pigment inks and also distress inks for some watercolor looks. In so,e ways I feel like they would be a good set for beginner stampers.

Ive seen some other companies- altenew and papertrey ink are 2 that come to mind that have some really pretty sets. I saw this morning that Gina K's latest release had a set that "builds" a really pretty rose.

What do you all think of these types of stamps? In some ways I can see how they would be a bit limiting to work with. Especially if you didn't own a lot of inks.

ETA- I don't think my link is working right.
I found the bird stamp set I was talking about here-
http://www.ellenhutson.com/hero-arts-clear-stamps-color-layering-bird-and-branch/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:15:11 PM by lovepug2 »
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: layering stamp sets
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 12:41:35 PM »
I have a couple stamp sets that are similar, but not like these new ones that add a lot of detail in 2-4 steps.  I think they would be really useful because you can use a lot of colors, or even do heat embossing over the bottom layer too.

I have heard that some of the sets are harder to "eyeball" how to layer them, and that does not appeal to me. I think it should look obvious and not take tons of time to line them up.  That would take the fun out of it.

I also agree it would be great for beginner stampers, but looks fun to me too!

I saw Gina K's new kit and I do like the stamp sets. I haven't purchased it yet, but I probably have 4-6 more weeks that it will be available as a kit so I may decide to get it.  I also love the Hero Arts bird.  I guess I am trying to figure out if I really need more bird or flower stamps, even if they are layering. 

LeighAnn, do you like the Avery Elle or W Plus 9 ones you got as well as any of the new sets that are coming out??
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 01:00:33 PM »
They are harder to eyeball some of them for placement. I have an Avery elle one that is pretty basic and has a lot of options to build the image up. It's pretty easy to layer.

One of the Wplus9 ones that I first got is the coming up roses set. I like it because it has so many different sizes and a nice vase that you can stamp separately. I thought that would work with some other floral images that I have. It can be a little tricky to line them up. I found that it's easier to stamp with distress ink to help hide any mistakes. Plus it's fun to use the water brush to get a more watercolor look.  Shortly after I purchased it, I noticed a similar set by Altenew and I think it was on a video by Kwerner where she mentioned how it's designed to be easier to work with as for as lining the stamps up.

I think Wplus9 and Avery Elle are fairly new companies? I have purchased a couple of the Avery Elle and I think I have about 5 different stamp sets from Wplus9 and the quality of both are great. Wplus9 has several great floral stamp sets. The owner of the company also does a lot of watercolor videos..
 She's extremely talented!
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:54:43 PM »
I really like the HA bird too. 

I'm thinking the MISTI would be a really great tool to have with the layering stamps. 

I haven't checked out Wplus9 or Avery Elle, but I'm definitely intrigued by the layering stamp sets.  They look really cool.
Sarah

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 08:52:05 AM »
I too like layering stamps. They come out cool. I have a couple of sets from Stampin Up. They are wood mounted so to line them up you have to use the Stampa ma jig thingie.

I have used at my monthly card get together their new ones. They are acrylic and have a tab on them that you line up in a certain place. That is easier to use I think.

I agree! the birds are nice.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »
I must have one of the original SU build a flower sets and it is extremely frustrating.  There are way too many pieces that one would think should mix and match but no it is like a puzzle to determine what combination works together and some pieces fit with nothing. Kathy thanks for your update on their new layering sets.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 12:33:57 PM »
Yes, a tab does seem like a great way to line them up.  I wonder why more companies are not using that method, seems very logical! 

Cool, tfs!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 12:42:52 PM »
Oh Heidi, I too have such a large variety of bird and flower stamps I am trying to be very particular about what new ones I consider.  But it is always a hard decision!
Thanks LeighAnn for this discussion for yes I have been looking!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:44:23 PM by Far North »

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 01:36:07 PM »
Jan, I remember reading a blog post from someone comparing the older layering stamp sets to the new SU layering sets. I could see how the older ones would have been a pain to use. I would think that this is where clear stamps are a bit of an advantage since it's easier to see your placement.

So funny, shortly after I posted this thread yesterday, Sandy Allnock did a video on the coming up roses set from Wplus9!

Sarah, I do think this is where the misiti would come in handy. I'm starting to see more and more reasons to get that stinkin tool! It's just so expensive!
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 10:14:05 PM »
I'm planning on putting the misti on my birthday wish list. And some layering stamp sets.  I checked out the Avery Elle and Wplus9 cites.  I really like the Wplus9 Woodland Wreaths, with the partridge.

Also, Lydia (the community manager at splitcoast) is doing a misti give-away on her blog - Understanding Blue
Sarah

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 01:06:25 PM »
Sarah, the woodland wreaths is on my wish list too!

I know you often make cards for OWH and I bet you will get a lot of use out of the misit.

The more I see it used, the harder it is to resist it.
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 05:50:57 PM »
I too like the layered stamps.  I love this set from Altenew: Vintage roses  I watched some videos of others using this stamp set and it looked easy....and I agree that it'd take the fun out of them if they weren't! 

I wondered if any other companies were doing these layers so it's great to see there are!  Thanks LeighAnn!   The bird is pretty cool! 

Heidi, what are the names of Gina K's stamps you are referring too? 

Great thread!
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 06:03:21 PM »
The Gina K set is in the kit that is called Flowers and Frames.  There are several styles of stamps within the two stamp sets in this kit, they are not all layering.  The kit includes cardstock, dies and patterned paper, but later on the sets will be available separately, but the kit is a better deal if you like both stamp sets. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 07:59:08 PM »
Melissa - that is a nice set. 

Sarah

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
Thanks Heidi for providing the stamps set name---that set has really nice frames!  and the flowers are pretty too.  I see it's sold out though.   :-\  Once the kits sell out, do they ever restock them?  or is it once it's gone, it's gone?

~~Melissa :)