Author Topic: layering stamp sets  (Read 4140 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: layering stamp sets
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 10:38:22 AM »
Thanks Heidi for providing the stamps set name---that set has really nice frames!  and the flowers are pretty too.  I see it's sold out though.   :-\  Once the kits sell out, do they ever restock them?  or is it once it's gone, it's gone?

No, they do restock them.  You have to keep a bit of an eye on the website to see when they restock since her kits must have a surge of popularity since they have been selling out over and over again. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 07:50:48 AM »
Is anyone familiar with Kitchen Sink Stamps.  It looks like most of their stamp sets are multi-step.  They have some GORGEOUS flowers like the Pansy set. 

I am worried that even with the vast amounts of ink I have, I may not have enough colors to do these sets.  They have color recipes on their site too.

www.kitchensinkstamps.com
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 09:00:47 AM »
Thanx for the topic & the links, Pug.

I do find the 'layered' stamps interesting--especially the clear versions. And that's saying a lot coming from this rubber lover.

As I've shared, I stenciled lots before I stamped. The layered stamps remind me of 'separated stencils'. Although I rarely used them, they were great when I wanted to avoid doing tons of masking &/or wanted to work with multiple colors.

Would I find layered stamps limiting? Probably not. Might take me a bit to figure out how I would use them, but that's often a part of how I work.

Would I have to use multiple colors? Nope. I'd just play with 'generations' of one color & the various layers to produce complete images that I like.

The clears have an advantage for 'eyeballers', too. I have no desire to buy stamps that require special registration tools--no matter how cheap or easy. They are just one more thi9ng to keep track of & that's not how I roll.  :laughhard:
Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »
Heidi, I haven't heard of that brand before. They have a lot of really nice sets!  TFS
I have a few layering sets now and sometimes I find it hard to figure out which colors to use because I dont have a ton of colored pigment/die inks. I mostly have 1-2 shades of a color family. I've slowly been working on adding inks to my stash since I've found that I do use them more now.

A few things that I have experimented with these types of stamps is generation stamping is great for subtle coloring and stretching your inks.

Sometimes I will also stamp an image in white pigment ink, then immediately stamp over it with a colored ink. It kinda changed your ink color enough to give it a different look.

I do have a good collection of distress inks ans I've been practicing watercolor stamping with those.

I have slowly been working on turning some of my experiments with these types of stamps into cards.  They're a lot of fun to experiment with!

Daniel, you posting about stencils has reminded me to try the stencil and stamp technique. I had that on my list ages ago and forgot all about it! Thank you  O0
LeighAnn

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 09:01:47 PM »
I don't know if I am too late on posting here but I have had an easier time stamping these with MISTI . I did see on a video, when she stamped she stamped off on scrap paper twice for her light color once for her second color and used it full for her dark color, something to try. What I did was just try all colors I had even if I didn't think they would go together, when I found a combo I liked I stamped them on a master list with the names of ink I used so I can refer to that when i stamp them again.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 05:58:49 AM »
Connie, I definitely think this is one area where a MISTI would help with stamping.  Good for you for writing down which colors worked for you. 

Are you only using dye inks?

I wonder if pigment inks would work.

I also am wondering if there are some inks that would work by just stamping the same ink color over again.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
no I don't use just dye inks I try to stick to that but to get the colors I wanted I mix with chalk and pigment inks too