Author Topic: Watercolor crayons  (Read 6655 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Watercolor crayons
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 03:00:49 PM »
I wonder if you could put that new Distress sealer (what was it, Glaze?) over this to make them more permanent. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
Heidi, I watched that video last night and I thought her comparison was really helpful. The colors of the Prima's are really nice and the price is good.

I'm not familiar with th glaze but  I remember in college we worked with watercolor crayons and we used a spray from Krylon to help seal. It comes in glossy and matte. I've used the matte recenlty with gelatos and it works well. The only downfall is you have to do it outside for the odor.
Plus I learned the hard way to make sure the nozzle isn't clogged before you spray  or you'll ruin your card :(
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:56:31 PM by lovepug2 »
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 05:46:38 PM »
Thanks LeighAnn.  That is a good idea about the spray.  I actually think I may have seen a spray on one of those Stampscapes videos and he was outside doing the spraying.  It is good to have options.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 10:23:09 AM »
I wonder if you could put that new Distress sealer (what was it, Glaze?) over this to make them more permanent. 

Lindsay said to post any questions below her post.  Heidi, I think it would be great to post a question on this topic.
I just purchased a pot of the Distress Glaze.  The label says: "it is a water resistant sealer.  Ideal for sealing Distress Inks, Markers, Stains, Paints and more. Protects inks, paints, watercolors and ink jet printing." 

Wonder what is in the Watersoluble Oil Pastels as well as the Distress Glaze. Tim talks about inks made with oil do not mix with other products with oil.

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »
I have the distress glaze and it works up to a point.  I used it on distress ink and dylusions spray ink.  It worked for the first wet thing after and then didn't work anymore.  I have only used it a couple times, it is not as wonderful as I thought it would be.  It doesn't really seal it long term I guess, just for one more step in my experience.  But I haven't tried it again.  I try to use product that dries permanent if using "wet" over the top now.  It reminds me of vasoline.  It will also stain your finger when you put it on so it too moves the water based product around.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 11:08:29 AM »
Sadie, that is good information.  SO basically the glaze helps you do last step on your project, but doesn't really waterproof. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 11:36:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing Sadie!  I only tried mine on a color burst background.  I notice the glaze moved some color onto my intentional white spaces and they became pink :-(    I was thinking I will have to experiment more before I use it on pieces I really don't want to change color. 

I am wondering if the glaze is more specific to the distress products formula than I thought.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 11:51:17 AM »

I am wondering if the glaze is more specific to the distress products formula than I thought.

That would be a bummer!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »
I found another video this morning on the Prima crayons.  Kristina Werner used them in August. It has been a while since i have visited her blog:
http://www.kwernerdesign.com/blog/?p=14686
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 11:10:28 AM »
Thanks Heidi for the additional link to the video!...I really liked it!  Not only the info on the crayons but also the tip on the flicking paint from a piece of acetate. 

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 11:27:23 AM »
Thanks Heidi for the additional link to the video!...I really liked it!  Not only the info on the crayons but also the tip on the flicking paint from a piece of acetate.

I had not seen that method before either.  Looks much more controlled than other methods.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 11:51:11 AM »
Yes, and if you hold the acetate overtop of your image you would be loosely masking it from most splatters...great tip!

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 08:41:26 AM »
I just saw a video on frugalcrafters channel using the prima crayons.
http://youtu.be/JlIS0qekMCI

I see that lovely as a tree stamp set used so much. I love it, it seems like a useful one to have in your stash.
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 01:47:59 PM »
Fun blended look! Thanks for sharing!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 11:19:46 AM »
I did get the Watersoluble Oil Pastels for Christmas.  I have swatched them out and tried a background and stamping with them and I do like them so far.

It is nice to have control over how much blending you get when you color them onto the stamp and then add water, because you can move the color around the stamp with your damp brush and then stamp, which is more control than when you color on the stamp with markers.  So I do enjoy these.

I am not sure how easy it will be to stamp over a background, though, since areas are a bit waxy even after you blend it out with water.  Maybe StazOn would work better, but I will have to try it out and see.
~~Heidi~~