Author Topic: What do you keep your pencils in?  (Read 1594 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
What do you keep your pencils in?
« on: November 29, 2015, 07:07:37 PM »
I have my pencils in their original tins, but they frequently open up and fall everywhere.  Also the tins are not really convenient to store in my craft cabinet.

I wondered if there was a better way.  Especially since I am thinking of getting some individual colors of Inktense pencils so I won't have a slot for them in my tin.

TIA.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: What do you keep your pencils in?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:32:35 AM »
Just last night I bought a container from Totally Tiffany called the "Debra" bag.  I haven't put my pens in yet ... I'll come back and post more once I use it.  It was on sale at Joann's for $5.99, normally $9.99.  You can find a video about it on Totally Tiffany's (scraprack) site.

There is a short video about the Debra bag on this page.

I'm not sure how long your pencils are.  She says it fits Tombow markers ... if that helps.  I will try mine with prismacolor pencils ... be right back!

ETA : Prismacolor pencils fit in the Debra bag

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:52:06 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:23:55 PM »
That is an interesting bag, I would have never thought of that. THe pencils are all shorter than a tombow marker, so I think they would probably also fit.  Maybe the bag is even a little big for pencils.  Thanks for sharing!
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 11:14:58 AM »
I spent the big bucks and bought pencil wallets for all my "good" colored pencils.  These on Amazon.  I didn't pay anywhere close to 50 dollars each though.  I use these with my Derwent colorsoft, my Derwent watercolor, and my Derwent Inktense.  I also have marker cases that are similar but only hold 48 for my distress and Tombow markers.  The Tombow markers take 3 of the 48 cases.  I found that you cannot get anywhere near as many pencils or markers in a case as they say you can.  I suppose if you could maybe get them in but to get them back out to actually use them would be a disaster.  My cheap colored pencils that I use in my color books and share with the grandchildren are kept in a metal bucket....LOL.  The nice thing about the cases is they fit on the shelves of the Ikea carts and they hold the markers horizontally so they are evenly filled with color and one end doesn't dry out.  The other nice thing is I can grab one or two cases and I can take them anywhere with me.  The marker cases are cheaper then the pencil cases, I suppose because they only hold 48, that is the biggest marker case I have found.

I went with the cases because the metal tins always opened up and then I was rearranging the pencils once again.  I read that it is bad to keep dropping the pencils because the lead can break inside the pencil and make it hard to get or keep a sharp point because where the lead breaks it comes out when you sharpen the pencils.  I figured I spent some good money on the pencils maybe I should treat them nice.  LOL
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:47:19 AM »
Sadie, that is my exact same problem, with the pencils falling out of the tins.  I also do not have a good spot for my 36 Derwent watercolor pencil tin, so it is especially vulnerable. 

Do you have the leather version of that case or the canvasy version?  The canvas version is only $25. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 11:51:21 AM »
I have both, they both work the same.  I don't think a person could ever wear one out in canvas or leather.  The zippers work well on both.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 06:57:39 PM »
ooooh, aaaahhhh, That does look like a nice pencil case!  And my cheap plastic case did not fit my Tombows!!  That's what I bought them for, but I just went to load up my markers and they are too tall for the Debra Bag.  On the website it says, "She'll hold up to 32 narrow markers (like Tombow), up to 15 Spectrum Noir or Marvy markers, and up to 20 Copics."  WRONG!  I'm going to have to have a word with Tiffany.

Now that I think about it though ... I'm not sure I'd like each pencil held separately in elastic ... are they hard to pull in and out? 

My former storage was a square plastic "jar" that came full of peanut butter pretzels or something similar.  I stored it on its side on a shelf.  Just might be going back to that!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 08:18:42 PM »
Yes, I thought about just using a can or something and it would be easy to pick them out of that, but I don't have good desk top space and it isn't portable.  The one advantage to having the individual slots is that you could keep it in color order.

I went ahead and ordered the canvas version of the one Sadie linked to.  It says it fits 120 but many reviewers said only about 80 fit.  I have fewer water based pencils than that and I don't have any good regular colored pencils. 

I wonder if I would want to put my gel pens (also cheap) in something like this too.  I have one of those coloring books now (haven't tried it yet) so I do think I will want to have my coloring stuff portable.  The tombow set is too large to be portable but other stuff would be good. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 08:32:34 PM »
I know this isn't very pretty unless you decorate them but I store mine in recycled glass jars by color families and have them on my shelf, since I am drawn more to my markers this works for me

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 08:42:27 PM »
I got my case and put my watercolor pencils in.  It made me realize I am missing one!  They fit great and I am happy that I have organized them in number order for hopefully the last time! I have 2 per slot but you could fit more if you had to. 

I have room for my Inktense and Metallic one in the other zipper.

I am feeling too tired to color tonight but I am looking forward to it now.  DH already took the metal case and has some plan to use it for something or another...
~~Heidi~~