Author Topic: Die shape for cutting stamped images  (Read 2080 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Die shape for cutting stamped images
« on: December 09, 2015, 10:35:08 AM »
I tend to reach for my oval spellbinders dies over and over again.  Another shape I almost always use, whether a die or just cutting, is a rectangle.

Often I will try a circle or square, but they just don't look right.

I wonder if a lot of stamped images just fit better in the oval or rectangle or if this is just my personal preference....
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Re: Die shape for cutting stamped images
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 07:30:41 PM »
I have noticed that too but I tend to go more for rectangles then the ovals for some reason, maybe cause I have more shapes in rectangle than oval.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 12:49:56 PM »
How interesting! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
I recently ordered a set of basic shapes dies. Prior to that, I used to cut the shapes with my Cricut. I do tend to use ovals,circles and rectangles the most. I rarely use squares and I have no idea why? I wonder if it's because they're more visually pleasing and easier to arrange on an a2 card?
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 02:33:26 PM »
You might be onto something, LeighAnn. I do think that an Oval is a really easy shape for me to get on the A2 card.  And the larger squares are more difficult for me.  So maybe that does play a role since I almost always use A2.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 11:45:20 AM »
I find when I use circles and squares as a base for a focal image I end up an odd shaped background for an A2 card...so I find starting with a good layout design is most helpful.  Otherwise I generally have created a conundrum of where to place the sentiment let alone other things. I find overlapping multiples of these shapes is easier since together they create an overall different shaped background space. I also like these shapes for sentiments or embellishments.  I made 1 set of these diecuts to use for designing new layouts and a small stash of die cuts if I want grab one for immediate use since my cuttlebug is not set-up for ready to use.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 11:48:58 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 08:34:19 PM »
Good thoughts, Jan.  When I read these, I thought that it is often a nice look for a sketch to have a label die cut or circle off the edge of the paper and then trimmed.  That is another way to get a nice look with those shapes on an A2 card. 
~~Heidi~~