Author Topic: Wink of Stella. What gives!  (Read 2027 times)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
Wink of Stella. What gives!
« on: December 21, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »
I know we have chatted about this before. I had bought one over a year ago and the results I got with it weren't great and it dried out quickly. So many crafters use it and rave about it, so I bought another recently thinking maybe the first time, I got a dud.

3 times I've used it and 2 of those times it just comes out in globs. Am I doing something wrong with it? Anyone else have issues with them.
For the price and ease of use, I think from now on I'm going to stick with the stardust glitter pens and stickles.
LeighAnn

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Wink of Stella. What gives!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 10:02:28 AM »
I have a love hate relationship with the wink of Stella brushes.  After you originally prime it you shouldn't need to prime it again.  Make sure you shake it up good each time you use it because it settles out.  I haven't had one dry out but I have exactly two of the brush ones, a clear and a white that I got on clearance.  The white one was on clearance, paid full price for the clear one.  I have had the white one for a couple years now, when I bought it I had no idea there were different ones.  I was pretty surprised when I finally used it and it turned the red Christmas hat whitish.....then I ordered the clear one. 

I store mine upside down in my mini pink craft holder.  I just last week watched a video on the you tubes that showed how to prime it and store it and I did it all wrong, but it works so it's all good.  I used to have some glitter markers from bobunny that I had for years.  They were in different colors and finally all dried up and I threw them away so I was kind of missing them.  I found some wink of Stella glitter markers that I like better then the wink of Stella brush things. 

Here are the Stella markers.

I still like the sticklers though for a nice glittery look.  But these do dry faster and so depending on what I am doing they both gets used, my grandchildren love glitter so I use it a lot.  LOL!
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »
I am not sure I knew about the Wink of Stella regular markers.  How do they compare to using glitter gel pens? 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »
Be sure to read the reviews...I did not think they were stellar.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 01:03:32 PM »
I actually am not interested in buying them since I was just given a lot of glitter gel pens as a gift, but I do wonder how they differ in use. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 11:44:02 AM »
LeighAnn - you aren't the only one who was underwhelmed by the Wink of Stella.  And mine dried up after less than a year.  I think I will stick with my Spica markers and stardust glitter pens.
Sarah

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 04:28:33 PM »
Thanks ladies. I'm never wasting my money on those again!

To me the clear ones look more silver than clear.  I need to upload my pic. I colored 2 identical images and put wink of Stella on one and stardust jelly roll  pen on the other. IMHO, the stardust is a nicer finish. Plus it's easier to use and cheaper!
LeighAnn

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 09:30:09 AM »
I didn't like my Wink of Stella at first either ... I thought it had to be squeezed every time.  The things need to come with directions!  Now I like them better, but the last one I got the brush was a little wonky so I actually trimmed off a stray "hair" with scissors.  It made me go out of the lines!  I think I'll look for the video Connie mentioned. 
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 08:15:57 PM »
I have only bought the wink of stella clear glitter and the gold wink of Luna and haven't had too many problems with either one but I have only had them for a few months.  I have learned to start them off on a scrap paper because one time a whole blog came out on my colored image when I pushed a little on it to get more to flow out, but other than that I like them for a little touch of shimmer.