Author Topic: Alcohol ink techniques  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Alcohol ink techniques
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:32:21 PM »
I thought I'd share some of the videos I used as inspiration for my ART4U alcohol paintings.  I could watch these videos all day!  I need more practice, that's for sure.  I'd also like to do more of the ink dripping and doodling.

Sharen AK Harris at Creativation 2018, for Ranger.

Alcohol inks and doodles on yupo.
creationsceecee

Stamping with Alcohol inks
Joggles

Joggles has other AI videos.  I searched youtube on "Joggles alcohol ink"

Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Alcohol ink techniques
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:36:57 PM »
Please share if you try these techniques!  The painting was not as hard as it looks, you really can get the ink to thicken just by putting it on a palette and stirring it around for a minute.  My problem is I am not a painter (well, one of my problems).

Also, what do you think about stamping with AI?  Joggles said she cleaned her stamp with rubbing alcohol.  That made me a little nervous.  It seems it would dry out your rubber ... but then it's not something I would do over and over again.  I did clean mine with rubbing alcohol but made sure to wipe it again afterward with a damp chamois.
Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:20:57 AM »
I did catch one of those videos while watching creativation or however they spelled it.
I put it in my going to try it folder but hadn’t got to it.  She made it look easy, but she has a art degree.  You did a wonderful job.  I must try it!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 04:31:20 PM »
Yes!  Try it!  Jan reminded us that yupo paper can be wiped almost clean with rubbing alcohol.  I’d forgottten.  Now I’ll save a few practice sheets and I won’t feel like I’m wasting paper when I’m just playing with ink.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 09:46:16 AM »
I haven’t gotten my hands on any yupo paper yet, but it is something I would like to try with the alcohol inks.  Thanks for sharing the resources.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 02:09:18 PM »
You're welcome, Heidi!

I think the ink might "bloom" (move) a little less on yupo than on glossy paper.  Or was it more?  One of the videos I watched did a comparison, but I can't remember which one at the moment.

You might also try Tyvek if you have any of that around.  Maybe a used priority mail envelope?  I remember playing with that YEARS ago, and darn it I just threw one out yesterday!
Cindi