Author Topic: Winterfest Chat  (Read 8722 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Winterfest Chat
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »
Last night they were predicting rain for game time.  I think that’s changed.  It’s breezy and clearing up. Maybe it blew through already?
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 01:58:53 PM »
Aww!  With all the cold weather you’ve had Heidi, it’s a shame it had to rain on DS’s ski weekend!  DH is skiing in Utah.  He says the skiing isn’t great, but still having fun.  I think it’s not very cold there either.

No wonder you haven’t done any stamping yet!  You’re making crafty food!  Sounds delicious!
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 03:02:13 PM »
Sorry your son didn't get to ski, Heidi. We woke up to ice all over trees, but the roads were fine. We had a cold rain until about noon.

Hubby has to have pizza for the game so he will going to pick one up son. We had better get it early so there won't be a wait! I might watch some of it, but hope to work on a card or 2 for the challenges. Oh, and post bingo words!

April :smile:

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 09:40:31 PM »
Heidi so sad your son couldn't go skiing, we actually got 1/4 inch of snow today here.
I am getting ready to watch This is Us, does anyone else here watch that show?

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 09:05:08 AM »
I don't watch it, but I have heard about it that show, Connie. I watched snatches of the super bowl game last night. Hubby was sad the Patriots lost. I was rooting for the Eagles!

I have done 2 WF challenges and looking forward in doing some more today. I need to look at Connie's video for her challenge. It looks pretty!

Tonight is my stamp club, so I also need to pack supplies for that. We are going to make a small box to hold candy for Valentine's Day.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 09:43:46 AM »
Good for you April (rooting for the Eagles).
I'm not into football, but as PA native I felt duty bound to back the team--even though the usually screw up when they're ahead.
This time they didn't choke!
Cheese steaks for all--'wit' (means you want onions on your Sammie!😄
Daniel

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 10:37:16 AM »
Mmm, Cheese steaks "wit" sounds good!  Congrats to the Eagles and their fans!

I said I would get back to you  about the Golden Mediums demo ...
Well, it took quite a bit of time for the amount of info.  I was the only one who showed up, so we waited.  One more showed up 1/2 hour late, and she was in to talking politics, so it took longer than it should have.  We filled squares on a pre-printed swatch and spread and mixed them with paints using a palate knife.  That way we got a "feel" for them.  "Samples" were advertised, but none delivered except for the swatch sheet we brought home.  I did get some good info and a lesson on acrylics from the knowledgeable Golden sales rep. so that was worthwhile.

Oh yeah, one tip I got from him was that Golden High Flow paint is a good substitute for ink.  He said because it is a paint and not an acrylic ink, it has better lightfastness.  Maybe not as important in a greeting card, but if you want your artwork to last, it's important.  He also said artwork needs to be varnished or sealed.  I wish I asked more about that ... but he shared that Golden gets lots of phone calls.  One artist wrapped his artwork in bubble wrap for mailing and when the recipient received it, it had an impression of bubble wrap on it!   :o  He also said acrylic paint is porous so that is another reason for varnishing.  The other person at the demo teaches drawing and painting and she said she wraps with glassine, and that works well.  (Just in case one of us is the next big acrylic artist! ) She also said the Golden website is a wonderful resource, so you might check that for questions about paints and mediums.  I did ask about how the mediums will dry in FL (or sub. your high humidity location).  He said they WILL dry hard.  I've had mod podge, and kid crafts (Crayola model magic - that's kind of marshmallow-y) get sticky.  Most of my swatch sheet did dry, though it took a good day or more for some of it.  The molding paste is still not hard.  It's applied thicker than I would use through a stencil, so that could be why it's taking longer ... I will keep an eye on that.

You'll see where I got distracted and put paint where the medium was supposed to go on the green/light molding paste.   ::)
ETA : I should have waited till my swatch sheet was dry before I photographed.  Please see the short video I linked in the next post.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:49:19 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 10:46:32 AM »
Oops!  I should mention (either the photo is not so good, or I took the pic before things dried) ...
The polymer medium (used to be called gloss medium, or gloss gel) dries clear.  The matte gels dry frosty looking.  The pastes dry white.  The glass bead gel dried clear.  The top row is medium alone.  The bottom row is mixed with paint (to show how much pigment is in Golden paint, they don't lose much intensity).  He said the glass beads show up better when mixed with lighter color paints.  We mixed ours with iridescent pearl paint.  Gels are transparent, pastes are opaque.  So maybe I did get quite a bit of info!  Feel free to ask any questions about the swatch.

I'm hoping maybe I can use some of this info to help me with Jan's Art4U challenge.  I have a few mediums that I've bought with 50 off coupons, or from my days at the store with an employee discount (I didn't net a lot of money there, ha!)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:48:49 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 11:26:14 AM »
I found a video, under "Resources" on Golden's website that shows the exact swatch sheet we made.  The review of mediums starts at 1:40 minutes but I think it's worth watching the whole video, about 5 min. long.

https://www.goldenpaints.com/videos/golden-acrylic-demo
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 11:34:29 AM »
Cindi, the Golden guy was lucky you showed up, because you shared that info with all of us!  Would you use the glass bead medium with a stencil on a card, or would that not work. I think that glass bead medium is very pretty. 

I need to catch up on Connie’s challenge AND then print out the cheat sheet so I can start planning ideas. 

I shared on the regular craft thread that I am doing some cleaning first today.  Just taking a short break right now.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 11:46:07 AM »
Right?  I hope he doesn't think he wasted his time.

I'm not sure about glass beads through a stencil. Great idea!  I'm afraid it might sneak under the stencil ... but maybe if we use a stencil adhesive?  I'll have to give it a try.  There's a cool video for that too, on the Golden site. 
Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 12:14:51 PM »
I have used glas bead with a stencil, but not good results.  It skips at the edges no matter what you try.
So if the stencil is less defined works better.  My favorite is to smear it on for a snow bank.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 04:14:12 PM »
I used the glass bead medium through a stencil on this card below. It did well for me. Yes, a more open
stencil works much better.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 04:21:41 PM »
I used the glass bead medium through a stencil on this card below. It did well for me. Yes, a more open
stencil works much better.

I remember that card now, April! I wonder if subconsciously, that is where my idea came from. I bet it did!  Did you use just the gel medium, not mixed with anything else? Thanks!!!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 07:16:28 PM »
I've used the glass bead medium with a stencil on canvases.  And I've mixed it with Pearl Ex powders. 

I have yet to start any challenges.  I made the mistake of sitting on the couch yesterday and ended up with a puppy in my lap.  I watched the puppy bowl instead of the super bowl. 
Sarah