Author Topic: WF 18 Color Explosion Technique-- Winner Announced  (Read 6415 times)

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
WF 18 Color Explosion Technique-- Winner Announced
« on: February 04, 2018, 05:30:57 PM »
I was almost not going to post since I didn't have the best of luck with mine but thought maybe you all will have better luck and you can share what I may have been doing wrong.  I could not get my embossing powder to work with this technique and that is what I liked best about it.  I am wondering if I didn't heat it long enough but I was about to burn my paper I felt like.
Here is the video I watched:
http://smscrapperdesigns.blogspot.com/2015/11/color-explosion-technique-tutorial.html?m=1

I used Pearl Ex pigment powders for one card and I used color burst on the second.  I think I don't like the colors of Pearl Ex I have or how I used them on the card.

When posting please use WF18 CET, no combining please and you can either use it as your background or with die cuts like she shows. Post by Feb.11 at midnight

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3823#top_display_media

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3824#top_display_media

I forgot to take a picture of my first background before making it into a card but here is a couple shots, one with the embossing and after it was dry I tapped it off an all the embossing powder fell off, so the second is adding some splatters of gold mousse to it.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:25:01 AM by Conniecrafter »

Offline djc

• Stampers
Re: WF 18 Color Explosion Technique
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 06:10:39 PM »
I suspect the Perfect Pearls would not be a good substitute for the Lindy's Magicals.  They look like a watercolor pigment like Brushos, Color Burst, etc.  I've never seen anyone pile on that much of those powders before.  Maybe the sheer amount was what kept the embossing powder in place? 

Even if it didn't turn out as you had hoped, your backgrounds are beautiful. 

Daria

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 08:31:18 PM »
Oh ok, I was thinking they may be the same thing as the Pearl Ex, just a different company, maybe that is what I needed to do is add more of the pearl ex.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 12:16:03 PM »
I am not sure I have the correct materials for this technique, but I think I might be able to mimic the look. I do like how the embossing powder looks especially when she sprays and reactivates the ink around the heated embossing powder. 

Thanks, Connie!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 07:01:21 PM »
I'm anxious to try this.  I have a few Color Bursts.  I'm wondering what holds the embossing powder? 
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 08:43:18 PM »
On Lindy's site I learned all of their embossing powders are made by Ranger.  I have never heard Ranger folks explaining how to melt EP without embossing ink except on metal. But Lindy's explains to pre-heat your heat gun and heat from under the paper so it doesn't blow away.  They say especially on wet surfaces it help to also eliminate warping the paper.  So I guess I will try it!

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 10:31:47 PM »
I will be excited to learn if anyone can get the embossing powder to hold

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 07:24:38 AM »
In the video, it looked to me like the paper was still substantially wet. I figured that kept the embossing powder from blowing away, but I have not tried it yet to see. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 09:40:53 AM »
I had fun with this. I used color bursts on all my backgrounds and added various glitter embossing powders. My backgrounds are attached below. I made 2 cards for this challenge. I cut out a dye using one background and used a whole background on a card.

April :smile:

die cut -- http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3830#top_display_media

background -- http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3831#top_display_media

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 10:01:02 AM »
Interesting technique(s) with great results, but (alas) i don't believe I'll be able to come up with a way to create anything along similar lines. Sok. I'll get to see what others do & maybe come up with .
Daniel

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »
April, I just love the shimmer you got with yours, did you have to dry it for a long time to make the embossing stick?  Or use a lot of it?  I can't figure out what I did wrong :(

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 04:33:06 PM »
Sorry Daniel that you don't have anything to use for this technique

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 04:38:54 PM »
I’ve never thought about it before, but are colorbursts and similar products just watercolor cakes that have been ground up?  Just thinking you could possibly get a crayola watercolor set, and smash the cakes to smithereens.  I am considering it.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »
Heidi, that sounds like a plan. Connie, I used very heavy watercolor paper and wet it quite well. I did heat the ep for awhile, but since the paper was quite wet I think it helped the paper not to burn and it was heavier paper.

April :smile:

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 07:46:40 PM »
Very cool background, April. 
Sarah