Author Topic: Gesso Resist Challenge (2/21-03/01) WINNER ANNOUNCED :)  (Read 16695 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Gesso Resist Challenge (2/21-03/01)
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 10:03:53 AM »
Here is my card. Thanks for a fun and new to me technique! This worked very well. I combined this with the something old/something new challenge since my stamp is very old and the technique is new. Thanks for a fun challenge.

Stampwilly

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1108#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 10:10:09 AM »
I keep having poor results with my trys. I think I am going to try a really chunky stamp next! 

Also, is anyone else using the Faber Castel Gesso and are the two things that work well over it sponged distress inks and Gelatos?  TY
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 03:57:31 PM »
Heidi-Sorry you are having a tough go with this technique...I know that can be discouraging.  I don't know about F-C gesso but in general folks say the Gelatos and distress inks are the best for this technique.  Gesso's main purpose is to make a primer barrier so other products don't leak through....perhaps if you are using watercolor paper...moisture is not escaping from the little pockets in the paper. If the back of the paper is cold  generally that means the paper is still wet. Anyways it might be worth a try to use a lighter weight paper.  Also in general a lightly misted cloth/paper towel is suggested for rubbing off the ink.

I found I didn't need but a thin coat of gesso for the resist to work.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:02:29 PM by Far North »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 04:39:27 PM »
I don't know if you all get the emails from Michaels but they have the whole line of Liquitex products on sale for 40% off right now and they also have an extra 20% off all sale price items coupon through the 28th of this month, not sure if it is online only or if that is in stores too  :angel:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 05:21:19 PM »
Thanks, I think I tonight I will try one on watercolor paper with distress ink and one on regular cardstock with distress inks. I do not have any gelatos.

I did try my Liquitex Flexible Modeling paste and it dries really nicely and is a bit more raised that the gesso.  It is a neat look.  But then I tried some of the shimmer sprays over it (I saw someone do this in a video) but it didn't rub off so well. 

I reallly like the look you all are getting and am determined!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 09:39:59 PM »
Heidi, I think my gesso is FC. I am not upstairs where I can see it. I used regular card stock and then used the smoosh technique where I swiped my piece through water spritzed distress inks. Hope you have good luck this time.

Stampwilly

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 10:11:35 PM »
So many wonderful entries! I love them all. I've enjoyed reading through the thread and picking up tips along the way. This has definitely been a learning experience!

Heidi, I know you'll get it to work! I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time with of but glad you are determined to get it!
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 08:29:05 AM »
I have a question....Am I suppose to be peeling the gesso off after I am finish coloring over it?

I thought I was suppose to take the gesso off, but cannot get it off with rubbing or with an eraser....  ???
~~Melissa :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 10:18:51 AM »
I have a question....Am I suppose to be peeling the gesso off after I am finish coloring over it?

I thought I was suppose to take the gesso off, but cannot get it off with rubbing or with an eraser....  ???

No Melissa the gesso is not taken off, only cleaned.  As with all resists once the resist product dries the coloring is added over it and all around it where you want coloring.  Once the coloring is dry take a lightly misted rag and gently remove the color from the gesso (or other resist).
Happy creating!...Jan

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 10:43:54 AM »
I finally have success. I think the trick was to use regular cardstock.  And I did heat it to dry it. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1121&message_id=e8cbfe440d9ac8efd40eb34a57a4a82f&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Thanks for this great challenge! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 11:07:51 AM »
I think the trick was to use regular cardstock.

I used reg CS and am having trouble getting the colors to come off before the CS starts peeling...   :-\  I was going to try watercolor paper this afternoon....

I mean the gesso lighten up some but nothing like what I see in the gallery...and now my BG is lightening too b/c it's peeling off.  I started using a wet t-shirt and that seemed to go to peeling real quick so I used a sea sponge I haven't got to use before and that helped so much!  It didn't peel for awhile, but not much color came off the gesso either....

I only used distress ink pad (sponged on) and a silver Faber-Castel gelato stick....

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 11:16:17 AM »
Melissa, my paper towel was only the tiniest bit wet. I can see how your paper would fray if you used anything remotely wet on it otherwise. 

I wonder if it is the type of gesso you use and type of paper combined.  None of the watercolor paper things I tried worked at all.  I also tried Bristol board paper with no luck.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 11:23:25 AM »
Awesome results Heidi ;D  So glad it was the paper and not the gesso which would have been so much harder to determine.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 11:30:08 AM »
Oh maybe I have too much water in the t-shirt and the sponge.  I will try with less water...Thanks Heidi!

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 11:37:35 AM »
Melissa, I wonder if you are having more problem with the gelatos coming off the gesso? Do they blend different on the gesso? perhaps they are not as good for resisting gesso as they would be for straight coloring the gesso.

Yep, it definitely sounds like too much water on your rag. Might even try lightly buffing off the color before misting your cloth.  If your gesso is real thin like mine you may have streak marks in some areas where the gesso is really thin resist.... I like that added character and didn't attempt to remove every teensy bit.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:00:15 PM by Far North »