Author Topic: Creative Challenges - Use Black Paper (9/8-9/13) Substitutions allowed  (Read 634 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the challenges, but I thought I would offer one for this short week.

I would like to see what you can do using black paper.  It can be really striking.  Try some of your color mediums to see what shows up well and what doesn't.  I know I have interference colors in a few different mediums, they look best on black or dark colors.  As an alternative, don't add color at all, just use a significant amount of black paper on your project.

If you don't have black paper or card stock, you can use black paint or ink to make some, or use another very dark color like navy, but I'd prefer black if possible.

Good black card stock can be hard to find.  Some are blacker than others!  Let us know in the discussion if you have a favorite black card stock.

I hope you get a chance to play.

I have an idea in mind ... hope I can get it on paper!

Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Re: Creative Challenges - Use Black Paper (9/8-9/13) Substitutions allowed
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 10:42:37 AM »
I bought metallic markers just to use on black cardstock and haven't used them as much as I had hoped, this is a good challenge to get them out :)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 10:53:29 AM »
I haven't used black cs in awhile. This will be fun!

April :smile:

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 04:25:40 PM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/AAFA282F-0CE4-49E0-9ED0-F06588B67759.jpeg

I looked up some utube for oxide inks on black cardstock.  Used their ideas and made two backgrounds and pulled them into two cards.
I saw lots of ways to do this when oxides first came out, but haven’t done too much of it.  I could have used the perfect pearls, but went with oxides.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5179#top_display_media
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 08:50:29 PM »
You are quick, Sheila!  Great idea to use oxides.  I like that look!  Thanks for playing.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 04:52:48 PM »
I hope to have time to try this.  Really busy week here!  I would love to use black cardstock more though.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 11:10:55 AM »
Here is my entry. I have not done this in a long time. It was fun to work on black card stock again.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5180#top_display_media

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 08:01:32 AM »
Thanks for playing April.  I just love the way your colors pop on the black.  The bow is so pretty.  Is that seam binding? 

I asked about black card stock.  Has everyone found a black card stock they like?
I am currently using Ellen Hutson.  It's pretty stiff, which I don't always need, but it is a nice rich black color and it is smooth.  I just looked, it is called Ebony Black and it is 100lb.  I like it.
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 12:48:38 PM »
The ribbon I used is silk ribbon. I love silk ribbon because it is easy to tie a bow and it is not so bulky. Silk ribbon is hard to find and it is expensive. I found some on Amazon at a good price in 12 colors. I have had those spools for about 3 years.

I use black card stock from Hobby Lobby, I guess it is Paper Studio. It is rather thin, but smooth and dark. I use it a lot for card mats.

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 06:28:01 PM »
This is something I had planned to try but hadn't done it yet so this was a good challenge.  April sent me the embossing folder after winning one of the prizes, I used metallic markers that show up real well on the black,  I used the Matt Black cardstock from crafters companion, it is a pretty thick card and I do like that it is a very black card stock.

My Card

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 09:03:56 AM »
 Connie, your markers show up wonderfully and you stayed on top of the embossing really well.

Looks like everyone has a black cardstock they like.

April, thanks for the tip on the ribbon.  I used to do silk ribbon embroidery ... I should take a look around and see if I still have some ribbon.
I looked at my seam binding ribbon, also touted as thin enough for card mailing.  It is rayon.  I'm sure the silk is nicer!

Thanks everyone for playing!
Cindi