Author Topic: WF15 Hangover Bokeh (WINNER ANNOUNCED)  (Read 17438 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
WF15 Hangover Bokeh (WINNER ANNOUNCED)
« on: March 02, 2015, 06:29:34 AM »
For a Hangover Week Challenge, I would like you to do the Bokeh background technique.  This is all over the place lately and a watercolor Bokeh tutorial has been posted at Splitcoast, but you are free to adapt the method if you do not have the supplies to get the Bokeh look.

Requirements:
1) Create a background using the Bokeh technique.
2) Post either your background and/or completed project in the Artsy Inkers Gallery.
3) I will choose one random partipicant for a small RAK from my stash. 
4)  You may not combine this with the Second Chance Hangover Challenge.  You may combine with any others. 

It seems to me there are TWO major methods for the Bokeh technique.

1)  Create a colorful background.  Use a stencil with different sized circles (or create your own with dies or punches and acetate) and then sponge white pigment ink around each of the circles randomnly till you get a soft look. (this is the tutorial on split coast)
2) Use different sized circle stamps (maybe the stencil would work here too) and stamp with different ink colors or tones until you achieve the look.  This first card here is an example of that look:  http://www.jjbolton.org/2012/12/saturday-with-alley-way-stamps.html

I do not have a sample for this, so I will be playing along with you this week.  I hope that you have fun with this

TIPS:
Create your own stencil using your punches or dies and a piece of acetate packaging material.
When looking for circle stamps, don't forget pencil erasers.

Here is another video showing different colors and slightly different looks  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VtrB1FvcqhU

Here is even another video from W Plus 9. I liked the way she explained things:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghp6-Ga4wIA
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:10:36 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: WF15 Hangover Bokeh (3/2 -3/8) ***NEW***
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:10:34 AM »
Yeah!!  I am so excited that you are offering this challenge!  I didn't get a chance to leave a comment on your other thread so I'm glad you went aead and did off this as this is one of the techniques I want to learn!  Thank you Heidi for hosting!
~~Melissa :)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
I have been wanting to try this technique and I have an idea. Can't wait to try this!

Stampwily ;D

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 12:51:36 PM »
Cool challenge. I am definitely going to give this one a try.
Sarah

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 01:45:54 PM »
I've been wanting to do this technique.  I hope I get a chance to play this week.

Thank you for the challenge.

Daria

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 04:57:12 PM »
I finished some backgrounds that I will upload tomorrow. Loved working with this.

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 06:43:55 PM »
Wow, Stampwilly, you are fast!  I worked a little on it, but certainly didn't finish anything :)  Looking forward to seeing your result!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 07:50:56 PM »
I was just seeing this in a magazine at the book store today, look forward to trying it out

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 07:51:35 AM »
Here is my first try

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1201&message_id=ee021a32f287e2af555258f3443d54bf&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

I WISH
...I had taped my watercolor panel down before working on it.  All the people in the videos did and I was lazy. It would have been far easier if I had taped it flat.
...I had made my larger circles lighter and then increased the pressure of the sponging as I moved to the smaller circles. I think it looks much better in the videos when they do that. 
...I had a sponge dauber, but I think I can do without it.  I do think it looks easier to apply the circular dauber. I am using one of those triangle makeup sponges.  The small dots are a pencil eraser.

I am not 100% happy with my first try, but I also think it may be salvageable.  I noticed in the videos that the panels all looked better in the final project than they did as just the background. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 10:18:43 AM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1202&message_id=53dca258a785510b9f444d73aeaa051f&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

I am way, way happier with this second one.  I am glad I used smaller circles overall, and I increased the pressure and coverage of the white ink as the circles got smaller.  If you use the tape like I did, be more careful than me and maybe you won't rip the edge of your watercolor paper!

~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 10:27:43 AM »
Here is my first try at the other version of Bokeh using stamps.  I don't think I nailed it, but it is in the right direction I think.  I actually think that using pencil erasers and being even more random would work better.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1203&message_id=2fdb79524449dee60adf7d24592c675f&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 10:35:22 AM »
Oh, yay! I've been wanting to try this again!

I tried this a few months ago after watching Dawn's video. I think I didn't bot off enough water because my results weren't what I wanted.

I can't wait to try it again, thanks Heidi! I'm off to check out everyone's entries :-)
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 01:19:28 PM »
Heidi I think your samples are great!  I think my favorite is the red one...

I didn't realize that white pigment ink is used for this technique! I thought acrylic ink was used for some reason.  This is great that it's pigment ink---since I have several to choose from if one works better than another one---and also, I think that pesky annoyance I have with some of my white pigments not being dark or white enough is going to work to my advantage in this technique!!   O0

Have you seen anyone do this technique using colors other than white?---I ask this only b/c in photography, "bokeh" can be any color really and even the golds/silvers etc....

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 01:28:12 PM »
Heidi I just saw your card where you used stamps to do the bokeh---great idea!  You didn't think it really looked like bokeh, so I was going to suggest if maybe you did the same stamp using white pigment over a colored BG and see......

Your flower stamp bokeh reminds me of some photos someone showed me over the holidays: It was a photo of a Christmas tree and where all the lights on the tree were there were gingerbread men...they said that they put these glasses the perspn had over the camera lens to take the photo----so it was what happened when you put these glasses on and looked at the Christmas tree lights. 

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 01:42:09 PM »
Here is my background and card I made with it. I had so much fun! I am now doing this using an inked background and white pigment ink on the stencil.

I wanted to try using an alcohol inked background and then take off the color using 91% alcohol. I used a finger dauber sponge with alcohol on it and lightly rubbed it in the stencil. It worked well. I just had to be light handed so that the alcohol did not leach under the stencil.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1205#top_display_media --  background

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1204#top_display_media --  card

I think I covered up my background too much on my card. :-\

Stampwilly