Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Stamping Challenges / Re: Happy Mail-distress oxide ink (DOX) backgrounds
« Last post by djc on January 11, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »
Jan, I have many of these that I made over a year ago after seeing Karen Dunbrook's cards.  Nora and I got together and just kept making them.  Nora, of course, turned some of hers into cards.  Mine have just languished.  I felt certain that I had posted the backgrounds, but I don't see them anywhere.  I even checked the photos of my cards on my computer and cell phone.  Nada.  I remember writing about the ink bleeding into the white lines and what I did to lessen that.  I must have written about it in an email to Nora because I cannot find anything on my computer about the backgrounds I made.

Here are the backgrounds from 2017.

I would be happy to make new ones for this swap and send someone Happy Mail.
Sign me up.

Daria

ETA:  April, I loved seeing all your pieces and reading about the ways you played with the technique.  To quote Heidi, "Very cool." 
« Last post by Conniecrafter on January 10, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »
I haven't had a chance to give it a try yet, but I will give the glossy cardstock a try for sure :)
Stamping Challenges / Re: Christmas All Year - January 2019
« Last post by djc on January 09, 2019, 07:04:09 PM »
Cindy, that's a great idea for prompts! 

April, your cards are wonderful.  Fun and Beautiful.

Daria

ETA:  I will be delighted to host Holiday Cards in July 2019.

djc
Products and Tools / Re: Oxide Inks
« Last post by djc on January 09, 2019, 06:55:47 PM »
Heidi, we can still leave comments that are searchable.  They just aren't visible until you click on the card and open another window.  I'm always double checking to make sure I give people credit for their cards because I can't see my comments anymore without that extra step.

Some pins are still allowing the comments to show.  That's why I wondered if the person who made the card put restrictions on changing the title.

Daria
« Last post by Far North on January 09, 2019, 02:09:19 PM »
Okay I just tried glossy cardstock and it appears that that DOX inks glide a longer distance on it than on plain cardstock..not a huge difference but certainly some.   I tried Distress Glaze over my piece and buffed.  Not sure if that made much of a difference but I will have to give it another try.  Hope everyone is having a fun playtime!...Jan

PS.  As I compared my 1st trials on lightweight cardstock I found the swiped colors to be mostly opaque while the swipes on glossy are far more transparent. So you may want to give glossy cardstock a try.
« Last post by Iring on January 09, 2019, 01:36:31 PM »
Just a quick reminder that often handmade backgrounds are rather "iffy" until an image is stamped on top.

I just read your comment AFTER I finished playing, and I have to say, I'm not crazy about my backgrounds.  Ha!  I know you're right.  The finished cards can be wonderful.  I made some on watercolor paper and some on cardstock.  Type of paper and amount of water spritzed does make a difference.  I think once they are flatter (I have them stacked under a heavy dictionary) I might also add some white or black paint lines.

I had a good hour or two of inky fun.  Thanks for that!  I think I will go on to try another technique as long as the oxides are out ...
« Last post by Conniecrafter on January 09, 2019, 11:24:19 AM »
Thanks for the links girls, I will have a look later, I did try looking for it myself on Splitcoast and couldn't find it, so I really appreciate the links.
« Last post by Far North on January 09, 2019, 10:36:59 AM »
Just a quick reminder that often handmade backgrounds are rather "iffy" until an image is stamped on top. I have a couple stamped images that I have stamped on acetate so I can see how they work with a new technique backgrounds.  It also helps me decide how I may want to cut the background into a smaller size.  I find looking at a gallery is helpful for seeing the special features of a new background that I like best..but that doesn't mean I can achieve the same results nor do I want to...LOL

Heidi your card at splitcoastsptampers worked out Great! ...  Jan
« Last post by howdyheidi on January 09, 2019, 09:47:11 AM »
I haven't tried it yet either, but here is a Waffleflower video.  Channin uses watercolor paper, and short strokes with the credit card.

I just found a card on SCS where she specifically says she did NOT use watercolor paper, because she wanted the ink to stay on top.  She didn't mention a brand or anything, just cardstock.
Her challenge : here

So there you have it, ha! Jan mentions cardstock too.  Experiment and have fun!

I watched the video and mine definitely do NOT have the wide amounts of color like that, and neither do they layer so nicely.  Definitely want to try again with watercolor paper!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10