Author Topic: WF17 Mixed Media Menu  (Read 6330 times)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
WF17 Mixed Media Menu
« on: January 19, 2017, 09:29:52 PM »
I’ve been playing with a lot of mixed media projects lately.  So that’s were my mind went when coming up with a challenge.  And for some reason, I had Genie’s song from Aladdin with the line about one from column A and all of column B stuck in my head.

Requirements: Create a project with a stamped image and incorporating at least one of the items from each of the following categories:

Texture Medium: modeling paste, heavy gel medium, glass bead medium, natural sand medium, crackle glaze/paint, you can even use light weight spackle.

Color: ink, pigment powders, watercolors, paint.

Embellishment: metal, wood pieces, ribbon, gems, sequins

These lists are not exhaustive, so if there is something you want to use that isn't on the list and your not sure if it would count, feel free to ask.

Your project can be anything you want. 

When you post your project, be sure to identify what you used from each category.  Sometimes it is hard to tell in the photo.

Be sure to link your project to this thread, or I might miss it.  If you remember, include WF17 3M as a label and in the title of your piece. 

There will be a drawing for RAK.  Your name will go in the hat for each project you enter.

Combining challenges: But of course.

Deadline: You have until midnight your local time on Sunday January 29 to post your project.

Examples:  Mixed Media Train Canvas
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:52:35 PM by Craft Nerd »
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: WF17 Mixed Media Menu
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 05:22:09 AM »
Hah, I had forgotten about that part of the song until now, those songs can really get stuck in your head!

This sounds like it will be fun, but is going to require a little planning.  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 08:27:55 AM »
Sounds fun! Thanks for hosting :)
LeighAnn

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 08:31:13 AM »
hmmmm, thinking cap on for this one, but sounds messy and fun  :smitten:

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »
I forgot to mention, when you post your project, be sure to identify what you used from each category.  I'll add this to the opening post. 
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 12:20:28 PM »
Looking forward to doing this challenge!

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »
I have a good start on this one, I have 2-3 usable backgrounds. But of course, they are drying now.

Has anyone here used the Faber Castell Glaze?  I finally got around to using my year old jar of it and it has yellowed in color quite a bit and is a bit smelly.  I am not 100% sure what you are supposed to use it for and I am not sure I will keep it too much longer since the one thing I thought it would work for really failed and, the smell...

At least those Faber Castell jars are small.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 05:54:47 PM »
Sorry, Heidi, I can't help you with the Faber Castell Glaze.  Most of my medium are by Liquitex or Golden. 

And drying time is definitely one of the downsides of mixed media.  ;D

I finally posted the link to my sample piece. 
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 11:27:56 AM »
What a fun challenge Sarah! 

If you have trouble finding Sarah's card like I did her terrific sample is here http://craftnerdcreates.blogspot.com/2017/01/mixed-media-train-canvas.html

Heidi-crafty gel like products should not have bad smells. Personally I would toss it out but not before writing Faber-Castell and asking what would cause the problem. The glaze is generally used for adding protective coat over a project to "seal" it.

I am surprised that folks are experiencing long drying times.  I have worked on many multi-media projects and do not think of projects taking long to dry. Perhaps using products in thinner coats would help this issue.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 12:27:41 PM »
Here is my first entry for this. I explained what I used from the categories in the gallery.  I really enjoyed this.  I have a couple other backgrounds I might use if I have time.  I made such a huge mess doing this!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3147#top_display_media

~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 01:24:31 PM »
Heidi - your card came out beautiful.  I really love the background you created.

I don't know that I've experience long drying times for my mixed media project but they usually take longer to dry than straight up stamping.  And I'm less likely to mess up wet mediums if I set the project aside to dry for a little while. Usually when I'm done working on something else the piece I set aside is dry.  I also wonder if humidity plays a roll in the drying times. 
Sarah

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 03:10:08 PM »
I made one.  I used glass bead medium with stencil of girls head by Balzer.
I tried using spray inks (not very good with  them)
Stamped hearts and words, added ribbon and gems

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/index.php?cat=23
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 06:40:07 PM »
Great card, Yankee. I really like that stencil. 
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 11:27:18 AM »
Here is my card for the challenge! I listed what I used under my card in the gallery. Thanks for the fun challenge!

April :smile:

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3159#top_display_media

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »
This is my other idea for this challange.
I put paste through stencil, added perfect pearls on top of paste.
Stamped cats from Just for Fun and cut them out, pop doted to card.
Added little heart stickers backed with black and enamel dots.
Perfect for my sons anniversary in Feb.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/index.php?cat=23
Born on the fourth of July