Author Topic: WF17 Water Bleaching -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5166 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
WF17 Water Bleaching -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!
« on: January 20, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »
For this challenge you will need 3 colors of dye based inks ( I used Distress inks ) or 3 colors of sprays.

Start with the lightest color first and spray or sponge an area of your card. Then go with the next darker color and then use your dark color on a corner of the card. I will have samples to show below. If you are sponging on color you need to be very heavy handed putting on the color.

Now take an open stamp and stamp it in the darkest area on your card using PERMANENT black ink. Take a water pen or paint brush and "color" in the stamp using water only and then immediately blot off the water with a cloth or paper towel. You will see that the area is a lot whiter now. This is a way to bleach without the heavy odor of bleach! Keep "coloring" with water and blotting until you have finished the image. Let it dry or use your heat tool to dry.

Here are some samples.
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3143#top_display_media

Here is my card using water bleaching --
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3144#top_display_media

Please make a card using this technique and post it here on this post as well as in the gallery. Please use WF17WB in your heading.

You may combine this with any of the WF17 challenges and Christmas All Year. I will be sending an RAK to a randomly chosen winner! This challenge will run from Jan. 21 - 29.

Have fun!

April :smile:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:47:34 AM by stampwilly »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: WF17 Water Bleaching
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 05:17:34 AM »
Your samples are really pretty, I am looking forward to trying this technique!  Thanks for hosting.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 08:36:32 AM »
Wow those are gorgeous, have never tried that before, I am going to have to dig through my stamps and see what will work :)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 09:46:45 AM »
Your samples are lovely.  I can't wait to give this technique a try.
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 11:42:58 AM »
Beautiful samples April!

From my experience one can easily peel off layers of paper if they rub off the water instead of gently blotting. Thicker paper is sometimes helpful too.

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Jan!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 05:19:25 PM »
I played with water today! 

I used watercolor paper and I had no trouble blotting up the water.  My colors are more intense in person, had trouble getting a good picture, it looks kind of washed out.  I stamped with white and clear embossed (because I feel stray EP shows up less in clear!)  I wonder if I would have liked it better with Versamark and white EP though ... oh well.  The embossing made it easier to keep the water inside the lines when bleaching.  I also sprinkled some water off the end of the brush over the grassy area.

Thanks for the challenge!  I have a birthday card made over a month ahead of schedule.  Woo Hoo!

Sprinkling Happiness

Oh, and in case anyone recognizes this SU set and wonders why it looks different ... I got it second hand and someone trimmed out the nose on the gnome, haha!  I guess they didn't like it!  Red rubber can be altered!

I attached a pic of my background before bleaching.  If you click on it you can see the clear embossing better.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:55:31 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 07:20:37 PM »
Cindi, your card is great! I loved how it turned out. Thanks for doing this challenge!

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 08:45:58 AM »
Here is LeighAnn's card for this challenge. This is so pretty with beautiful colors! Thanks for doing my challenge!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3171#top_display_media

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »
Thanks for linking my card, April! I ran out of time before I had to leave to take my little DS to preschool.

I had tried this last night with Bristol paper first but I think I used too much water because the paper started to lose fibers. I redid it with watercolor cardstock and it worked so much better. I don't think I've ever ink blended on Bristol paper before but I was really impressed with how well distress ink blended on it.

This was a fun technique to try. Thanks for hosting April!
LeighAnn

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 06:14:16 PM »
Here is my card for the challenge :  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3178#top_display_media

I am not sure if I did it right, I used Bristol paper and memento inks on this one and did another one using watercolor paper (haven't finished that card) 
It just doesn't look as pretty as the results April got from it  :(

Oh man I just read that you used distress inks, I was thinking we needed to use dye inks, I bet it would turn out a lot better with the distress inks, I might have to redo this one if I have time :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:17:27 PM by Conniecrafter »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 09:53:34 PM »
Connie, your card is so pretty. I can see some fading of the colors but Memento inks are rather permanent. Thanks for trying. I think it will work better with Distress inks. No worries if you can't get another one done.

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »
This was just fun to do!  Thank you April!
Used distress inks in three colors, stamped open flower and some solid leaves.
Then removed color with water.  Like when Tim sprits with water only in a controlled way.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/index.php?cat=23
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »
Sheila, you card is so lovely! Glad you liked the challenge. Thanks for doing it!

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
April, your samples are incredibly beautiful. 

I loved seeing all the wonderful cards posted to this challenge.  It was also helpful to see which inks and papers you used to get your results.  Jan, thanks for that tip.

Daria