Author Topic: June 2017 Artsy Inkers Challenge - Inky Oils  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
June 2017 Artsy Inkers Challenge - Inky Oils
« on: June 07, 2017, 08:43:21 PM »
So I came across this a while a go and thought it would be a cool idea for a technique challenge.  Course, I haven't tried it yet.  It is a way of creating a vellum effect with regular paper.

Inky Oils

Sadie has asked that we wait until she updates the gallery before we post to it, please wait until we get the green light from Sadie to post any projects.
Sarah

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
Re: June 2017 Artsy Inkers Challenge - Inky Oils
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 08:05:56 AM »
Can't wait to try this!
I saw on another blog where the lady put furniture polish over her painted paper and they were made see through the too.  But you had to use a certain kind of polish.  But I have baby oil!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:31:16 PM »
Interesting technique! I hadn't seen this before.  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 04:07:33 PM »
This will be interesting. I hope I can find some baby oil. I may have to buy a small bottle.

April :smile:

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 05:54:24 PM »
Just as an aside for anyone who gets some baby oil for this project, you can also use it to blend colored pencils.  I use it instead of OMS because OMS give me a raging headache. 
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
Here is my card! This was fun and I made several pieces while I was at it. I used cooking oil instead of baby oil because I did not have any baby oil. Baby oil probably smells better! LOL! Thanks for the fun challenge. I hope to make another card soon with one of my other pieces.

April

http://www.new.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3348#top_display_media

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 08:32:20 PM »
Great card, April.  And a very creative solution for not having baby oil.  And I can't wait to see the other pieces you made.
Sarah

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »
I hope to try this.  I went searching for more examples and found a blog post with another video here.

I don't think I have any baby oil ... I might get some when I go out, or substitute.  I remember Daniel suggesting vaseline to make a vellum-like paper out of copy paper.  I used it for a sentiment on an ATC.

Thanks for the challenge Sarah!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:42:15 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 12:41:20 PM »
Update :

I tried mixing vasoline with ai reinker and smearing it over copy paper.  Kind of a fail!  First of all I ended up pretty much making a solid green paste.  I smeared it over copy paper, and then scraped it off.  Not much color was transferred and so far it's not looking as transparent as the my next experiment.

Next I put a puddle of canola oil (couldn't wait, and I don't have any baby oil) on my craft sheet, added a few drops of reinker and mixed it up.  I still had copy paper, and I just plain forgot your technique used cardstock, so I laid it in the oil and pushed the paper down going back and forth with a large palette knife.  Right now it's pressed between layers of newsprint hopefully blotting out most of the oil.

I'll post pics once I do something with it.  My only concern ... do you think the oil will turn rancid and smell bad? 
Has anyone had trouble with the oil seeping through the cardstock once adhered to a project?
I'm hoping the newsprint will get most of the oil out.  I have my inky/oily paper between layers of newsprint, weighted down with books.

Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »
I made another card with this technique! You can't see the car too well, but it is better in person. Thanks for a fun challenge!

April :smile:

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3360#top_display_media

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 07:45:07 PM »
I put too much oil and too much Reiner.  So most are not useable for this.  I did make two cards out of the ones that aren't totally covered with color.  The oil was a problem.  I put in an old phone book and changes pages very day for a week.  Then cut some die cuts so you could still see the background

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/index.php?cat=12
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »
WooHoo!  I finally finished a monthly challenge!

Thanks for hostessing Sarah  O0

Here is a link to the birthday card I made with my inky oil piece.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 04:57:39 PM »
I have been so busy this week, I haven't had time for this, but I still plan on doing it, but probably late.  I have enjoyed the other entries.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »
I used the technique for a father's day card but I didn't reread the instructions and I used my Distress Ink ink pads instead of reinker.  It would have been so much easier if I used reinker.  I had to see if I remembered to take a picture before I gave it to my dad and I'll post it later.

I'm glad you ladies enjoyed the challenge, even if you had some difficulties.  Your cards came out great.

And here's a link directly to Yankee's cards:

Yankee's cards
Sarah