Author Topic: Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge, 2017  (Read 8767 times)

Offline djc

• Stampers
Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge, 2017
« on: June 30, 2017, 04:32:08 PM »
Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge -- 2017

Some of you have gotten a head start on our holiday cards by participating in Cindi's Christmas All Year! Challenge.  This month, I'm taking over for Cindi by offering our yearly Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge.  Despite my best intentions, I have not made any Christmas cards this year.  I have an empty folder on my computer waiting for my 2017 Christmas cards.  I figure that if I make one different card each day and make three of that design each day, I will have 93 cards by the end of the month.  LOL.  Come join me for this month’s challenge and make lots of cards.

If you are in the need of inspiration, check out Cindi’s past Christmas All Year threads; she posts an optional theme each month that you can use if it inspires you.  This year they have been related to Christmas carols.

The Challenge:
You have a full month--July 1 through July 31--to post your entries in the album set aside for this challenge in the gallery and link them to this Discussion Thread.  The challenge ends on July 31 at 11:59 pm your time.

Remember you must enter only new cards--nothing you made or posted prior to July 1, the first day of the challenge.  If you have a special technique you'd like to use that does not include stamping, your card will still count.  It would be nice to combine stamping with other techniques, but sometimes that isn't feasible, and I want your cards to be something you will love.  So your paste-embossed, embroidered, stenciled, Iris folded, etc. cards are welcome.

Requirements:
1. Complete the tasks as described in this challenge.

2. When you post your card in the gallery, please label it with the name of the appropriate holiday and add the words "in July." For example, Christmas in July, Hanukkah in July, Kwanzaa in July, etc.

3. When you post your project in the gallery, describe it. Tell how you made it and what you used.  Thanks to Sadie, we have more space in which to describe our posted cards so don’t be stingy with your comments.   Some information that you could share:
Stamps:
Cardstock/Papers:
Card Size:
Inks/Coloring Medium:
Accessories:
Technique:

Next, come back to this Discussion Thread to link your post here and to tell us how it went--the good and the bad. 

Combining Challenges:
You can combine this challenge with another challenge as long as the host of the other challenge will also allow it.

Prize:
There will be a prize awarded at the end of the challenge.  Your name will go into the hat once for every card you post in the gallery and link to the discussion thread. OK. I already know that the next question is do I get my name in the hat 10 times if I make 10 of the same card. I'll say you can get your name in the hat up to three times for multiples of the same design. Fair enough? There's no limit to the number of different cards you can post. You'll get credit for each different card.

I hope you'll join us and begin making your December holiday cards.  We can inspire and motivate each other.  Don't forget to have fun!

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge, 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »
Thanks for offering this challenge. I often get in the spirit in July and get a lot done.  However, I hope you don't expect us all to get 93 done.  :D ;D :laughhard:

Looking forward to seeing what people create!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 06:42:56 PM »
Heidi,  my son is coming over tomorrow to visit, take me shopping for a new modem/router (Mine is worthless.), and to play with the cats.  My sister just had a painful medical procedure.  I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to get any cards made even for the first day!  But one card design a day doesn't seem so bad, and once all the design decisions have been made, it isn't difficult to repeat the card while all the supplies are just sitting there.  Right?   lol.

Daria

ETA:  If I just CASE one of the many, many cards I've seen and loved, the design decisions will have already been made.   :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 10:34:28 AM »
Oh yeah, CASE a card ... maybe I should go back and actually look at some of the cards I pin on Pinterest!  Good suggestions!

I am really looking forward to this!  Thanks so much for hosting.  I love your lofty goal (93) won't that be wonderful?!

I have company coming from out of state, my brother and SIL.  I should be cleaning right now  :(  so I might not get much done in the next few days, but I will sure try.  I even ordered a new stamp and die set  ;) . I posted on the Retail Therapy thread ... Art Impressions is having a 30% off sale, ends today or tomorrow July1st or 2nd ... I didn't think their wording was very clear.  I ordered the Christmas wreath that comes with dies to cut just the inside, or outside, or both ... and a bow.  They had a really cute sample.  Hey!  An idea for you Daria, they had a kitty peeking through the wreath. 

ETA : if you go to Art Impressions, use code 30YEARS

Maybe this year I will get that Hanukkah card made?!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:37:35 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 06:49:14 PM »
Cindi, I already hit the Art Impressions sale.  You didn't mention that if you spend $30, you get free shipping too.

I spent the morning cleaning the family/cat room.  Then my son came and we went shopping and out for lunch.  I now have a brand new modem/router.  I can now use my laptop in every room of the house.  I can now log into Netflix without a problem and use Chromcast too.  I am a happy camper.  I just now got back from visiting my sister and going to the grocery store.  I'm tired.  I think I'm going to bomb on the very first day of my challenge.  Now, I'm down to 90 cards. Sigh.

Daria

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 09:53:15 AM »
Sorry about that, yes, free shipping!  A game changer.  I don't like paying for shipping, I'd rather get more goodies.  $30 minimum is really reasonable too.

I chuckled out loud at your post Daria, and had to explain to my DH.  Bombing on the first day ... I thought, I should make a Christmas card today, in your honor ... but don't hold your breath, ha!  I have family coming for dinner and hopefully we'll run to a nearby park or the beach afterward to see a rocket launch*.  So, there goes the card making for today.  I need to clear my last project and purchases off the dining room table so we can eat there.

* We live a couple of hours south of Kennedy Space Center.  When SpaceX (and used to be shuttle) launches a rocket sometimes we can see the exhaust trail or even light from the rocket flame move through the sky.  It's even better on a clear evening.  At the beach you can see it better because they usually head south east and there are no trees and buildings in the way.  If we stay home, we watch on the laptop, then run out and stand in the middle of the street to look. 

How about this?  At some point this week I am going to make Christmas cards.  I'll shoot for 5.  That's my goal!
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 11:29:14 AM »
Sounds good, Cindi--both the views and the goal.

This is 4th of July weekend so I do not expect many, if any, cards.

I just walked into the craft room, looked around and came back out.  I did, however, manage to order something I've wanted for quite a while, and I doubled the order so the prize for this challenge will be ready to go at the end of the month.

Now, I am thinking, thinking, thinking about my first card.  Something easy to ease my way back into cardmaking.  I've spent a lot of time looking at the cards I've saved to Pinterest and other sites that do Christmas cards.  It's coming; I feel it in my bones.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend, and I hope you have the 3rd off as well as the 4th. 

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 11:46:59 AM »
I have three (I think) uninked Christmas stamps from Deep Red stamps, and one or two sets I got for a buck at AC Moore.  So I think those are the ones I would really like to make into cards this month for a challenge, so that is at least 4, but hopefully more. I looked at my box of Christmas cards and there aren't that many in there, and a couple are leftover from last year.
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 05:26:35 PM »
Heidi, I was desperate last year so I think I used up most, if not all of my leftovers.  I need to check that out. 

I just got home; I spent the day with my sister today, and I'll be going back tomorrow.  The good news is she is feeling so much better than she was yesterday. 

Still no cards here.

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 09:16:07 AM »
I stamped something this morning!  Progress.

BTW.  Check your stash.  Do you have half-made holiday cards?  I know I have a bunch of stamped images somewhere.  I couldn't find them when I looked for them yesterday.  It's acceptable to use backgrounds and images you have previously stamped, colored, or made for this challenge.  The important thing is that you make it into a new card for the challenge.  Make sense?

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »
Great idea to look in the half done projects or backgrounds box.

Daria, if I don't have to babysit this afternoon, I will start working on this.  My day is currently in limbo waiting to see if my friend needs my help.
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »
We're in the same boat, Heidi.  I was gone during the day, and I'm spending the evening with my sister.

I have been slipping into the craft room to practice stamping an old image I bought on eBay.  I've been trying it with different inks and different amounts of pressure, stamp-to-paper, and paper-to-stamp.  It's a wood-mounted stamp.  I'm thinking of unmounting it so I can use it in the Misti.  That should solve all problems.  Love the image--worth the trouble.

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »
I have finished four cards.  Plus I will have eight more when I receive my cardstock order from Gina K. Designs.  All I need is more Dark Chocolate cardstock.  That is what worked best, and I only had three pieces that came in a sampler pack. 

I love this image, and I have searched for it for years and years.  No one ever wants to sell theirs so it almost never shows up on eBay, and if it does, it costs way too much.  I got this one because it was listed as Manufacturer Unknown.  There are no manufacturer markings on the wood block.  I'm a happy stamper.

My First Card

Proof of Four Cards

Daria

ETA:  Something else I've been trying to find for years is the Cuttlebug Kars Snowflake (or Snowfall) embossing folder.  If you ever get a lead on that one and don't snap it up yourself, please let me know.  That's another one that no one will part with.  I wish they would just reissue it!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 02:14:56 PM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »
Lovely cards, Daria!  I love that image.  I believe I have seen a smaller version of it around, too. I always assumed it was an old stampin' up image. You featured it just perfectly.

I did make one card today!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3380#top_display_media

I will be working on others too.
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 11:56:25 PM »
Cool card, Heidi!  I know what you mean about smudges.  When you have sections of white, they need to be pristine.  I have totally messed up cards when I didn't even realize my fingers were inky--especially CAS cards!

Those are some nice stamps Jan sent you.  I wonder how she is.

Daria