Author Topic: Jennifer McGuire's Favorite Ink  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Jennifer McGuire's Favorite Ink
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:43:31 AM »
Yes, Jennifer is once again updating her favorite things for 2017 on her blog http://www.jennifermcguireink.com/?s=2017+Favorite+inks+update

As you know I have not bought new stamping products this year...but now I am thinking perhaps I should think of a few things for a wishlist.  So I would appreciate if you could share with me your thoughts if you purchased distress oxide inks...do you like them them and what are your favorite colors. As well as any thoughts about Tim's stamping positioner.  TIA!...Jan

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Jennifer McGuire's Favorite Ink
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »
I have a few oxide inks.  I chose my colors based on some samples I saw (and I admit, what was available at M's)!  I just bought iced spruce this week at my LSS.  The only reason I found it was because it was mistakenly placed with the regular Distress inks.  Otherwise they were completely out of Oxides, so they certainly are popular!  I like their opacity and they give great coverage on solid stamp images.  I had trouble with them drying on one card I made, but I think it might have been the paper I used (I think it was glossy, or coated, but others said it could be done!) . I just went and tested the swatches I stamped yesterday on Neenah cardstock and they dried just fine.  I wish I saw Jennifer's video BEFORE I went to the stamp store as she suggests this is one ink where you probably do want the reinker ... and they had one that I didn't buy.  I hope other's chime in with their experience. 

As to the stamp positioner ... I don't have Tim's but I can tell you, if you don't have one of the new hinged positioners you will love it!  If I didn't already own an older WeR version, I would look at Tim's but I would also take a look at the new Stampin Up version.  It looks very cool with multiple hinged lids.  You might also consider magnets, versus no magnets if finger dexterity is an issue ... again, hopefully others will offer their experience. 
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 08:31:34 AM »
I have the oxide inks. I would choose the second full set of inks if I were just to get some.  They are the best and brightest rainbow of colors.  There are a couple in the first set that I don’t use much.

I also have the stamping platform and I like it, BUT Stampin up is also coming out with one that I think will be better because it has two sides where you can put your stamps for multilayer stamping.  I want to still figure out how to use Tim’s platform better with Unmounted stamps.  I am hoping to figure out how to use some foam underneath to get better images, and that clearly was not on his radar when he designed it.
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:35:05 AM »
I am waiting to buy the reinkers for the oxides till I need them because I am concerned about shelf life and the oxides. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 08:36:27 AM »
Heidi, looks like we were replying at about the same time.  Did you buy the reinkers?  Have you needed them?

That is a bummer about needing to adapt Tim's positioner for unmounted rubber.  I can say the WeR positioner works fine for cling, clear or unmounted rubber.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 08:37:27 AM »
Ahhh good thinking about reinkers!  I actually told myself "store it at the store" when I put down the reinker at my LSS!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:45:12 AM »
Ahhh good thinking about reinkers!  I actually told myself "store it at the store" when I put down the reinker at my LSS!

As a person who is cleaning out closets, I really appreciate that saying!!!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 08:46:51 AM »
Heidi, looks like we were replying at about the same time.  Did you buy the reinkers?  Have you needed them?

That is a bummer about needing to adapt Tim's positioner for unmounted rubber.  I can say the WeR positioner works fine for cling, clear or unmounted rubber.

Yes, my first post published without my seeing your first post!

I CAN use the TH platform with the UM stamps by using the clear side and poster tape.  BUT I really feel I would get better images if there was some foam (which I think the MISTI includes).  Either that or my platform is one of the few first editions that has a flaw.  I have heard that Tonic is replacing some.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 06:33:28 AM »
Thanks for sharing tips from your experiences!  Heidi thanks for sharing about the bright colors!  And Cindi thanks for sharing about the magnets!

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 08:34:21 AM »
I love the oxide inks, but my favorite inks are pigment inks.
I have very little dye inks.  I started with pigment inks and embossing powders.
Saw it demonstrated at our state fair, my daughter bought me the starter kit, been having fun ever since.
Anyway the pigment ink pads last forever, I have never had one dry up even in this dry heat.  This year I had one of the pads crumble and had to pitch it and there was still ink in it.  So I don’t buy reinkers for my pads.
I did buy  the refresher for the few dye inks I have and that brings them back.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 11:47:23 PM »
Jan, do you remember when we were wishing there was a good matte ink?  The Distress Oxide inks are just that.  I seldom even use water to get the oxide effect; they are great all by themselves.  I bought three that combined well together to try them out--Cracked Pistachio, Broken China, and Faded Jeans.  I fell in love instantly.  They are beautiful, and they have the loveliest soft matte finish. 

I have the Misti, and I love it.  I recently bought the Stamping Platform, and I did buy a piece of fun foam for it.  Since I have and use the Misti, I haven't given the Stamping Platform a good trial run yet. (I mostly bought it as a back-up since I've read several reports about the Misti door cracking after time.)   I did take it out and tried it a couple of times to make it sure it worked after a friend told me hers did not.  Her comments sent me looking online, and I came across reports that some areas on the Stamping Platform don't stamp as well as others.  A few people said they had returned theirs for a replacement because they couldn't get it to work.  I didn't expect that from a Ranger/Tim Holtz product.

I did get a very good image with mine, but I did have to restamp two or more times.  I have seen videos where the cardmaker got a perfect image the first time every time.  The verdict is still out.

That Stampin' Up! one looks good.  I'm not sure I'd even use the second door, but I like that it comes with a couple of bar magnets, and there's a place to put them beneath the stamp positioner. 

Daria

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »
I love the Oxide inks. I have all the colors, but I liked having the first set just fine.  They help you stamp great with the clear stamps because the ink does not bead up as much. I love all the wonderful techniques that you can do with them. I also love the chalky look they give.  Also you can layer some colors over each other and you don't get a muddy mess. They also work very well with the gelli plate. The inks give you a little longer to work with because they don't dry as fast as the acrylic paint.

I have the Stamp Perfect that is a lot like the Misty but it is not being sold anymore. These tools are great and I love how you can use multiple colors on a stamp and get a great and clear image.

April :smile: