Author Topic: January 2018 Use It or Loose It Challenge  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
January 2018 Use It or Loose It Challenge
« on: January 09, 2018, 09:21:14 PM »
So I mentioned on the 2018 planning thread that I was thinking of hosting a monthly challenge to help those of us who need to decrease the amount of stuff we have that isn't getting used.  Here's the idea, each month I'll post a type of product and the challenge is to make as many projects during the month using that product as you can.  Then at the end of the month, we can discuss whether using the product has reminded us of why we bought the product in the first place or if it is time to cull or purge the item all together.

January's challenge is buttons.  I've got a ton and I don't use them very often.  Hopefully this will inspire you to pull out your buttons and use them.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: January 2018 Use It or Loose It Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:02:26 AM »
Great challenge!  Thanks for hosting. I certainly do have buttons!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 03:16:19 PM »
I have buttons too! Thanks for the prompt.

April

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 12:23:13 PM »
I made this Valentine decoration a few years ago.  No stamping, but it sure did use up lots of buttons!  Thought I'd post it just in case anyone else has a surplus of red and pink buttons  :smitten:  I've gone back and forth with my buttons (poured all in to one container, then didn't like it and sorted them all out again by color).  In the end, I did keep them.  I found the coolest metal merry-go-round type storage on a good clearance.  It probably takes up too much space and flat surface area, but I still like it.  I threw my twine in with the buttons, sorted by color.  I'll come back and add a pic.

The trays rotate around.  There really are buttons under that mess of twine, washi, ribbon, and tiny glass beads.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:36:44 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 11:17:02 AM »
I made one card using a button.  I noticed that I seem to prefer to use thin or small buttons.  My buttons are mostly from a largish pack I bought 5 years ago.  I went through and got rid of the huge buttons, but still use mostly the small ones and not the medium ones, as much.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3804#top_display_media

I looked up some button ideas on Pinterest and they look fun.  Although I might prefer to use them on hand delivered cards, like my son’s Valentines, etc. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 09:24:28 PM »
April - you are really going to town with buttons.  Great cards.

Heidi - your card is really sweet.

Cindi - that is a cool storage thing.  And you Valentine's decoration is lovely and a great way to use buttons. 
Sarah

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 11:48:01 AM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/index.php?cat=12

I made some valentines.  Used pp from valentine pack I bought years ago.  (Someday my grandkids will still be using my many many paper packs!). I die cut some burlap hearts.  Added bling and buttons.
Not what I normally make, but trying to use up stuff!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »
Yankee - great use of buttons and other stuff from your stash.  I hear what you're saying about pattern paper.  And I culled my collection a couple of years ago and I still have way too much.
Sarah

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 10:41:56 AM »
I have a ton of buttons that's for sure

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 02:06:21 PM »
I don’t have too many buttons. I actually would probably use them more if I bought some very small buttons like I have seen in some other cards.  So I will probably keep most of what I have.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 09:39:02 PM »
I managed to get a Christmas card done with a button on it.  I just need to photo it and post the pic. 

I'm thinking I need to cull my collection of buttons, given that I only managed to make 1 card using buttons. 

So how are you feeling about your buttons? Love 'em or loose 'em?
Sarah

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 08:39:32 AM »
I need to use more of mine when I hand deliver a card, but the majority of my cards are mailed to family in other states and I am always worried about them going through the mail, since most of my collection are the thicker ones