Author Topic: Stamping Shows  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Stamping Shows
« on: January 19, 2018, 07:02:12 AM »
As many of you have shared the experience of attending  stamping shows I would wish that I could have the experience once again. Now I am excited to see that Akron will be hosting “Adventures in Stamping” once again in late April. I recall from my earlier experience I was totally overwhelmed by the number of stampers trying to buy from the vendors.   But my favorite part was taking a couple classes.

I don’t remember AI’s talking about attending classes. But there is a long list of classes and I need to make a decision soon of what to attend.  So I would appreciate it if you could share your experience or just let me know what would pique your interest.  And if anyone may possibly be in area and might attend please let me know….it would so much fun to meet-up in person!  Here is the link to the classes.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:04:26 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Stamping Shows
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 07:36:47 AM »
Jan, how exciting!  I have never been to a stamp show.  The ones in PA are usually a couple hours away.  I truly wish I could come to this show!   I see Just for Fun will be there (April and I design for them, but I have never met the owners).  And another stamp company that I have been interested in, Blue Knight Rubber stamps.  They seems to have some lovely scene stamps.

As for classes, I would love to take the Art Impressions one. I have a small collection of their stamps and love the technique.

The way I would approach the numerous other ones is by taking one that is out of my comfort zone.  So probably I would look at one of the card fold classes since that is something I NEVER do.  The one adding texture to alcohol inks sound interesting too. 

But I can see why you are overwhelmed, there are so many!

~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:29:16 PM »
Oh my word, Jan! All of these classes look great! I love techniques so the new techniques and fold class looks good to  me. Art Impressions is always good. I have not taken a class but have seen their demos at shows and it is very helpful. The zip cards look interesting too.

I took classes last year at a show and had a lot of fun and learned a lot. Most classes will give you free stamps, dies or good coupons to use. I know you will have fun. I plan on going back to the same show I went to last year and take more classes.

April :smile:

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »
That is a nice amount of classes!  The stamp show that comes here has had classes sometimes, but there was like three classes offered.  I never took them.
Our show is two days, I always go for both.  Always very crowded at first (couple of hours).  My daughter goes with me, she is tall and can see over people and knows what I buy.  We walk to the very back of the hall and come forward, miss lots of crowd that way.  Still you end up waiting in lines for 45minutes to pay for items.
Second day never crowds, you get to talk to venders, there are several I know and like to visit with(like Judi from Judikins). No lines  to buy items, but they always run out of the must have new items.  Doesn’t bother me, I figure if it isn’t there you can get it on line if you have to have it. First day you can’t get close to demos to see, the second day you can watch all you want and sometimes get to make some too!
I love the stamp show!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 12:53:31 PM »
Wow!  So many classes, and so many that look really good.  StampFest in FL has some classes but nowhere near as many, and not many that I'd like to take. 

I like to take classes or watch demos that teach me how to get more use out of supplies I already have.  The alcohol ink classes look good to me.

Also, some instructors are better than others.  I've taken from both Wendy Vecchi and Dyan Reaveley at a LSS.  I would recommend Wendy.  I got more tips and I actually hang the project we made on the door of my craft space.  I have to admit I was a little surprised at the price of Wendy and Dyan's classes even though they are a little longer.  I'm sure I paid at least that at the LSS though. 

I've heard good things about the Art Impressions classes though I haven't taken them.  I do like to watch the demos.

The last show I went to had some coupons that were only good until noon (Art Impressions, for one).  The line was a mile long.  By 1pm there was no line and I think because the line had been so long earlier they may have still been honoring the coupon.  I waited in line, but I won't do that again.

Have fun!  This looks like an excellent show!
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 07:36:47 AM »
I think we have so many classes because many stamp manufactures, designers and stores are based in NE Ohio such as Stampers Anonymous, Inky Antics, Art Gone Wild, Our Daily Bread, North Coast Creations, and Artistic Outpost.

Yesterday I spent several hours researching the stamp companies hosting classes to learn about the products and their instructors.  I really learned a lot.  Before starting the research I really wanted to learn about foiling but I soon learned that all of the classes use foil laminators. I was hoping for some tips and tricks for using other products to adhere the foil.  Guess I will turn to You-tube for that info. So now will go onto my goal list this year.  Art Impressions and alcohol ink classes are still high on my list.

I really appreciate all the suggestions including tips to avoid the crowds and long lines...thankd:phone:.  Yup lots of reminders here that things work different in the big world! 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:16:33 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 07:46:05 PM »
Did you decide on a class, Jan?

I just saw that there is a stamping show near me in March!  It is a Stamp Scrap Art Tour.  I don’t think they have more than a handful of classes though.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 03:55:09 PM »
Aye--I have waiting a long time for my tickets to arrive. So now I finally know my classes are all using alcohol inks in some manner...just what I wanted!  I plan on sharing here what tips I learn.  Thanks for asking Heidi!

The convention organizers here don't do any of the registration with computers...one can only sign-up early by filling out a handwritten form, mailing a check and a stamped addressed return envelope...and  then wait.  I was surprise I had already forgotten about this method of registration has been "old school" for about 2 decades.  Then I had to laugh at myself...I just got my first smart phone last week.