Author Topic: Stamp N Dash Roll-on Watercolor challenge---Closed  (Read 7572 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Stamp N Dash Roll-on Watercolor challenge---Closed
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »
Welcome back to Stamp N Dash!  Roll-on watercolor challenge  Open Tuesday 7/2/14 to Wed 7/10/14 midnight Sadie’s time.

Tools/supplies: brayer, white cardstock, water spritzer bottle, water reactive inks. Best would be multiple-color ink pads such as Kaleidacolor or Ranger’s Big and Juicy pads.

Technique: Cut some white card stock into A2 size pieces.  Ink up brayer with multiple colors of ink. Mist brayer and roll onto paper.  Generally one inking of the brayer will not cover the entire card with ink.  Dry the ink before adding more.

As always with Stamp N Dash challenges there is a lot of flexibility.  If you do not have the tools or supplies suggested you are welcome to adapt and test out your alternatives.

The Challenge: Create a card using some paper you created with this technique.  Please post your work in the gallery album for this challenge by the deadline.  Also post comments about your experience below.  Thanks for considering playing and experiencing this fun and easy technique.
For inspiration I posted 2 samples from my WSW14 entries in the gallery and there is a new card on my blog that uses this technique for my new Mixed Media Card Challenge http://farnorthdesigns.blogspot.com/2014/07/tagging-nature.html.

My experience:  When making these backgrounds I like to leave some of the empty space white to give the eye a pausing space from the vibrant color.  But it is all up to you-- roll on the ink and see what happens!   Some bright pieces you may enjoy more after you use it on a card with a lot of stamping in black ink.  Also you may choose to use parts of the paper for dye cuts, smaller focal images or sentiments.  Remember the trick of toning down the brightness or unifying the colors by adding  1 color over top of the entire piece.  Don’t be afraid to brush on a bit of color where you feel it really needs it or wet a saturated inked area and dab off some of the color.  After all isn’t that what artists do? Whatever look makes you happy is BEST!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:20:42 AM by Far North »

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
Re: Stamp N Dash Roll-on Watercolor challenge Open 7/2 to 7/10
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »
OOO I love it! Looks like fun! Hopefully I will have time to try this when we return from our road trip ;-)

Offline Christinmay

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 05:47:10 PM »
This looks like a great technique! And it's lovely to see some challenges popping up. Thanks, Jan. I very recently bought a brayer, so am itching for chances to use it.
Christin

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:38:38 PM »
What a cool technique.  I'll have to give it a try this weekend.  Thanks for hosting, Jan. 
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 10:22:51 PM »
I can't wait to try this!  My brayer is really underused.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 10:33:02 PM »
I hope you have some super fun with this one!

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
Re: Stamp N Dash Roll-on Watercolor challenge---Open 7/2 to 7/10
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »
I will be doing this challenge and thanks for the heads up.  A great challenge.  Will work on it this week end.  Maybe my dgs will want to play as well.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »
Oh Ann, I think it would great fun to have your grandson play too!  Let us know how it goes!

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 06:18:13 PM »
I did 6 backgrounds with this technique, but only made two of them into usable projects.  One I made into a card and one I made into a project life card.  The first one I used a Big and Juicy ink pad and because I had stored it upside down or maybe because it's over 20 years old it was almost mud.  The other card I used a Kaleidacolor ink pad and it looks better.

This was fun once I got started on it, thank you for hosting this Far North.

Linky 1

Linky 2
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 08:58:56 AM »
Sadie, sorry you learned about the condition of your ink pad but now you have tad more space!  Actually Big and Juicy pads are dye inks on felt pads while the idea for turning pads upside down was intended for pigment inks. But without worrying which ones are up or down Tim Holtz often shares how ink pads do not need to be turned upside down. My B&J inkpads are nearly the same age as yours and are still stamped with clear distinction colors although there has been some migration of colors.

Nonetheless you were able to complete a couple wonderful projects!  Thanks so much for playing!
...Jan

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 10:04:22 AM »
Fun challenge, Jan! I've got one brayered piece done--used my really old rubber brayer an a multi-color inkpad that's 20 years old (got it from Hampton Arts). Have to find some of the others so I can try them out, too.

I'll share results soon as I can, but I'm enjoying the challenge!
Daniel

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 11:00:28 AM »
Up loaded my card with technique this morning.  This was a very messy technique for me, had prepared my area to work on, and it worked, but needed to have paper towels right at my side.  Despite the messiness, I really like this technique and used several Kaleidacolor color combination to play with and made 6 or so sample sheets.

Made my card using two of them, but have a collection of borders to use again.  Was fun to use punches on the samples.  My card need something else.  Not sure what it is, so am asking for suggestions.  

Fun challenges and I enjoyed making my project.

Here is the link, I hope  :http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=52&pid=300#top_display_media

Also somehow, I didn't upload it to the challenge, will have to think about that

later:  I did go back and used coated twine for the antenna for the butterflies

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:02:18 PM by Utah Ann »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »
Ah-h we all are learning so much about how to use this site!  Yesterday I posted to Daniel here and must not have hit post cause it's not here.  I was just agreeing about find our brayers and inkpads that we haven't used in such a long time.  For me it is the inkpads...Years ago I found a super deal at a yard sale but I don't use them often enough for the number I have (yep 12 is alot)#>

Yep Ann figuring out which album to place cards in is new to all of us!  I really wish I could see a photo of some of your backgrounds....guess I should have thought about that when I posted the challenge...LOL!  It is hard to see the actual rolling with all the card add-ons.  As for something else with your butterflies....I would just say 1 of many choices I use is to add more on top of the watercolor....that could be a background stamp.  Sometimes I ink up the stamp and wipe the ink off some areas particularly if I have an idea of the placement of images. I also will often stamp off onto scrap paper the 1st impression so the 2nd on the card will be alot softer. Script, leaves or branches may be possible alternatives.  PS Your butterflies and border are great! 

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 05:58:03 PM »
I added 2 photos of my backgrounds to the gallery.

So far most of my backgrounds are made with 2 brayer inkings and misting to cover the paper. But as you see sometimes there still is a lot of white space.  I will determine how to use that white space or cover it up once I know how I want to use the paper.

Please share photos of your backgrounds if you like.

Thanks for playing!...Jan

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 10:10:15 PM »
I just clicked on this post.  I hope I have time to do this one. 

I loved the card you posted to the Mixed Media Card Challenge.  Congratulations on being selected to be on their Design Team.  You are in some wonderful company; the cards posted to the first challenge are fabulous!

Daria