Author Topic: Challenge: Make a Post Card (7/10 - 7/24)  (Read 8229 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Challenge: Make a Post Card (7/10 - 7/24)
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 09:37:37 AM »
Pleased to hear that my postcard reached Heidi. I was wondering whether it would encounter any difficulties, but evidently I got the size & postage correct.

Heidi. I actually did my entry with a 'challenge' for you, but I'll send you info about that privately.  ;)
Daniel

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 07:59:18 AM »
Finished the front of my post card and then I turned it over - Oh dear, the copics ink I colored with shows up on the other side.  Will have to print off another address and message  side of a post card and then probably glue them together. 

At least I won't glue them together until after I scan both sides at the same time.

So watch out if you use copics. 

New lesson learned for today.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 10:48:37 AM »
LOL! Making & sending a postcard 'sans envelope' was an adventure! It acquired ink on its journey & I think it adds to the look. So...

Presenting the Attack of the Giant Dragonflys!

Now I can reveal my challenge to Heidi (which she has accepted)... I decided not to color any of the images because I like the somewhat 'vintage' look. But I could definitely envision it colored. So Heidi has agreed to tackle coloring my postcard. What fun! O0
Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 11:14:10 AM »
Daniel, love your postcard. And how neat that it went through the mail too!!
Can't wait to see how Heidi colors it. How fun that you offered her a challenge to her challenge

My postcard is finished! I just need to clear space off of my phone to take a pic or charge my camera battery so I can upload it!
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »
Daniel, thanks for taking my challenge!  I really like the piece, especially after mailing, how it has some post marks on it. It is awesome to know that it can go through the mail so simply!

LeighAnn, looking forward to seeing your post card!  Good luck with your devices, I know how that is when you have things to take photos, but they need a bit of changing first. ;)
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »
...It is awesome to know that it can go through the mail so simply!...

Ain't that the truth?! Don't mind sharing that it felt risky to go the 'no envelope' route, but figured if it didn't make it, I could make another. So I relaxed & trusted myself, the USPS & my friend Heidi.

LOL, y'all! I sent Heidi an email with a suggestion about on-going postcards. And y'all might check out the 'Challenges Chat'. ;)
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »
Here's my postcard:

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=59&pid=344#top_display_media

and the back:
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=59&pid=345#top_display_media

I hope I posted those right, and if not, please let me know.

I really like dhow the grey stamped the flowers so I am going to work on another postcard with that in mind.

Thanks for a fun challenge Heidi!
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 01:43:53 PM »
What a great entry, Melissa. Thank you for participating!  I left praise in the gallery.

On the memento markers thing, I think spritzing them MAY help the colors come out brighter, but I also know that some people go in and add detail with the pen end of the markers after it is stamped if they are not happy with the look. I think yours looks great.

O0
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:45:35 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 04:02:45 PM »
OOooo!  good idea!  I did not think of that to use the tip end to color them darker!  I think I may try that here in a bit and see what it does!  TY!

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 08:45:54 AM »
I got my postcard to upload. I may have messed up because I dont think it would go through the mail. I guess I coulld try it! It does have sequins on it, but they're really flat.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=350
the front side

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=351
the back side

If I get a chance, I may try this one again. It was fun to work in this size format.
Thanks, Heidi for hosting such a fun challenge.  O0
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 08:56:34 AM »
I forgot to mention that I made my postcard on the larger side for dimensions---it was roughly a 4"x6".  I read on USPS site that postcards could not be larger than 4.25" x 6"……but I do have a 3.5 x 5 cut out too and may use that on my other attempt.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 10:31:34 AM »
Melissa, my post card was also larger than the minimum size, but smaller than the max size that the PO said. I think it will still go through with post card postage, although I would probably just put a regular 1st class stamp on it rather than going out and buying more.  

LeighAnn, I really like your themed entry!  All the little letter and post box stamps are really cute. I certainly will accept it to this challenge, but it would be a fun experiment to see if those sequins go through the mail. I would also think you would really need to use strong adhesive if you are going to have layers (which I did say I would accept for the challenge).  I didn't see anything about embellishments or stickers being prohibited, just a max thickness, from the PO guidelines, but not sure about how it would work in their machines...

Anyhow, super cute and thanks for playing. I hope some of you might do a second entry (or a first). I have recently just been having fun doing something a little different.  Even if you later smack it on a card or in an envelope, it helps me stretch my creativity.  
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 11:08:21 AM »
...I may have messed up because I dont think it would go through the mail...

I don't believe you messed up, Pug, but you raise an interesting point. Prior to machine-sorting & cancelling lots of postcards made it to their destination without being purely 'flat'. Long as the PC had a readable address & correct postage, it (usually) got forwarded.

It's great to see all the new PCs in the gallery. So interesting to see how each of us has tackled this challenge. As I viewed LeighAnn's, I was struck by the one face--the one with the envelopes image & sentiment. I like the elements a lot, but could so see them being flipped from left to right.  ??? If the envelope images were on the right side, I could write in the send-to address & still have that stamping show really well. Then I could put the sentiment on the left & give it a 90 degree turn so it fits the correspondence space. SWIM?

And... When postcards were first created, they were not picture postcards. They were an inexpensive way to send a message without requiring an envelope.  ;)
Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »
Thanks Heidi! I glued the sequins down with zip dry glue aabd they're pretty flat. I have an idea for another postcard I want to try so I think I will play with that later if I get a chance. I'm wondering how watercolor paper/images would hold up?

Daniel, thanks for the suggestions! I think there is a lot of possibility with that sentiment. It's such a fun font and I thought it worked great for a postcard!
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2014, 01:48:50 PM »
LOL, Pug! Watch your mailbox. I'm having a ball with exploring the sent postcard & seeing what layering will survive USPS machines & people.

Looking forward (hoping) for more entries to this challenge! O0
Daniel