Author Topic: You may what to check out this sale  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
You may what to check out this sale
« on: July 19, 2014, 01:17:33 AM »
Unity is one stamp company that I enjoy their stamps but I find a little spendy.  I am always pleased to see their sales.  This weekend is their summer clearance sale.  It is the 1st posting in their drop down on the front page.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:29:14 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: You may what to check out this sale
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 09:07:19 AM »
thanks!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »
Thanks Jan!   O0  Off to check it out!
~~Melissa :)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »
Wow! did y'all see how this one artist used this stamp?!  Look at the third example that is like watercolors.  How did he/she hide the ink lines? (maybe use grey ink?):

http://unitystampco.com/shop/harmony-girl/

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 11:07:31 AM »
Wow, that is pretty awesome! There is someone who does stamps there that also does machine embroidery designs. Interesting!

I have some sale stuff in my cart, LOL

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 11:07:52 AM »
Wow! did y'all see how this one artist used this stamp?!  Look at the third example that is like watercolors.  How did he/she hide the ink lines? (maybe use grey ink?):

http://unitystampco.com/shop/harmony-girl/

That is a pretty easy trick.  You stamp with a light dye ink, like a antique linen distress ink, and then use that to color in, but the actual stamped image is easily covered up and the lines easily blurred.  That would be an awesome technique challenge, Melissa!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
Really Kathy!---who is the person who does machine embroidery designs too? 

Heidi, thanks for telling how to do that technique…I have to try it.  I did it once with a bicycle stamp but you could still see the black ink.  I thought it'd be a good challenge too!  but do I have to be proficient in the technique to offer the challenge?  lol!

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 07:43:18 PM »
Melissa - I don't think you have to be proficient at a technique to offer it as a challenge.  Where's the fun in that?  :smile:
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »
I totally agree, Melissa, so long as you can point to a site, or give directions for the technique, you do not need to be an expert. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 02:08:19 AM »
I agree a host of a technique challenge doesn't need be highly proficient in the technique they are presenting...as in knowing every possible alternative product that may produce similiar results.  However I do think minimally the host should do a small test run of the instructions to be sure that they produce a desirable result.  As one who regularly tries new techniques across the Internet I have experienced some instructions that simply don't work.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:15:51 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 08:21:15 AM »
That is a good point, Jan.  I have run into the same kind of thing.  Especially with Pinterest.
~~Heidi~~

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »
Hehehe, I ordered a couple small stamps from the Unity sale. I have never seen their stamps, they are cute.

and I was wrong! One of the artists has a very similar name to one who does embroidery designs. I double checked ;-)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 12:11:43 PM »
I'll be watching for some new cards Kathy!

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »
Thanks Kathy for double checking the embroidery person's name. I was really curious about that since I sometimes machine embroider, but I don't do it often enough to know names really well.

Good points, everyone, about hosting challenges.  I know I'd feel better if I knew a little bit about the challenge before hosting. 

Cute stamps at unity!  I haven't finished looking yet. Can't wait to see your new stamps Kathy!

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 02:48:54 PM »
Melissa, I posted this link info on blending "water colors".  Perhaps it will help you see that the colors you combined with your bicycle stamped image created the "black" you mentioned in the previous post here. Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:43:42 PM by Far North »