Author Topic: Would you like to do a weekly sketch challenge?  (Read 3766 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Would you like to do a weekly sketch challenge?
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:29:50 AM »
Daria posted a list of places to find sketches in another thread, and I was wondering what people thought about doing a regular sketch challenge here.  Basically, I, or another host, would not need to come up with a new sketch, but instead post a link to one of the older sites that provided sketches, and then we could post our *new* projects here.

I would be happy to host, or share hosting duties, for this type of challenge, if there was enough interest.

I loved when Kimber would do the weekly sketches at 2ps, and would love somethingn like that here too.

What do you think?
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: Would you like to do a weekly sketch challenge?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 10:40:42 AM »
I'd be up for it!  I too enjoyed Kimber's sketch challenges each week…..I remember eagerly waiting for Saturday for the next one posted!   :smile:  Her sketches were the first time I had ever heard of such a thing. 

Would they still be week long challenges?  I think that is a good duration for such a challenge.

I like sketch challenges b/c it helps me with my "dual personality" ----on the one hand, I love there are restrictions to the style/look/etc of the card and on the other hand I don't love it!   :laughhard: :idiot2:  Good thing is that in the end I have always had lots of fun with card sketches!

~~Melissa :)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 07:50:17 PM »
I'm interested!  I just saved some sketches from 2peas to my laptop.  I can't promise to play every week, but I do like sketches.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:06:54 PM »
Thank you Melissa and Cindi.  I am wondering if there truly is little interest in this, or if it is just the newness of the site and maybe not a lot of folks read this thread. 

I will keep watching for replies, but it is a bit busy this week anyhow to start up a new challenge. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »
Doubt I'd do 'weekly' sketch challenges. Might be more apt to attempt ones that last 2 weeks.

That said, a lot depends on how the hoster handles their sketch challenge. I most like those where the sketch is all they provide. The more the sketch is combined with specific materials or project types; the less likely for me to put it on my 'must' list.

I prefer sketches that are all about the composition of the elements. I love sketches that provide me with opportunities to translate them into cards, tags, ATCs, etc.  And I don't have any objection to a sketch that includes a 'words' element'. :laugh:
Daniel

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 03:39:13 PM »
I tend to go for sketches when nothing comes to mind for me to do, great way to get a kick start on a card

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:22:58 PM »
I'm with Cindi - I may not play every week but I would be interested in a sketch challenge.
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »
I usually do not do sketch cards. It puts me too much in a box, but it might be a challenge for to keep within a box once in awhile! :smile:

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »
Thanks for the further comments.

To Daniel:  I definitely like to keep sketches "just a sketch" and not to put too many more requirements on them other than following the sketch.  I think they are great starting points and great for combining.

However, some sketches are really meant to be a card, and not a tag. However, they don 't have to be folded cards. And some sketches probably can be made into more than one type of papercraft.

I see conflicting views on the length of the challenge.

I will keep these thoughts in mind.  Like I said, life is just too crazy for me right now to start this, so if someone else wants to host, let me know, or keep sharing thoughts if you wish. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Christinmay

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 08:14:33 PM »
Yes, yes, I think it's a great idea! Don't lose heart, Heidi!

I, too, used to love Kimber's sketches. I agree with Looser, though, that once a fortnight would be more do-able for me, but whatever suits the host and others is fine.

I love sketches!!

ETA: Wow, what a cool feature of the site: when I hit 'post' I was warned that someone else had posted while I was typing my post.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:16:24 PM by Christinmay »
Christin

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 09:56:18 AM »
I do have an idea now on how to make this work for most everyone.  Not sure when I will be able to start.  Maybe sooner since I don't have to make a sample ahead of time.

Are people ready for more challenges now?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 11:04:48 AM »
To Daniel:  I definitely like to keep sketches "just a sketch" and not to put too many more requirements on them other than following the sketch.  I think they are great starting points and great for combining.

ITA, Heidi. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing sketch challenges--regardless of how hosters choose to offer them. Good start, pal! O0
Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 01:00:30 PM »
I would love weekly sketch challenges O0 O0

I canrt guarantee I could participate each week but I would certainly try. I also don't mind helping host.
LeighAnn

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 08:31:43 AM »
I'm ready to start  O0 whenever you are.  August might be good because Daria's Winter Holidays in July will end soon.  We'll need something to replace it!
Cindi

MicheleD

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 08:16:03 PM »
Heidi - I do like sketches a lot so I'm sure I would participate when I can! I haven't been doing many challenges lately, just busy with other stuff I guess. But I do often look for sketches so I look forward to what you challenge us with!