Author Topic: Oldies Challenge -- August -- WINNER ANNOUNCED  (Read 9590 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Oldies Challenge -- August -- WINNER ANNOUNCED
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
Hi Everyone!

Welcome to our first Oldies challenge! I hope you will enjoy doing these each month. There will be a random winner that I will send a small RAK to each month. For these challenges I will be asking you to use an old item or technique and make a card, tag, scrapbook page, box, etc. with it. I will show samples, etc.

For the month of August I would like for us to use vellum. This is an oldie, but I am seeing that this is being resurrected again, so it may seem new! Anyway I have a picture of a card that I made using vellum and under my card link there is a link on how I worked with it. You may try the technique I used with my vellum or you may do whatever you want with yours. Play with the vellum and see what you come up with. You have the entire month of August to come up with something! :smile:

Please upload your project to the gallery and then link it here to this challenge. Say how you used your vellum.

Thanks a bunch! ;D

Stampwilly

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=52&pid=406#top_display_media
http://stampwillydesigns.blogspot.com/2013/02/technique-tuesday-frosted-vellum.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:27:25 AM by stampwilly »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Oldies Challenge -- August
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:42:52 AM »
I do believe I will play along this month and see what I can come up with using the dusty vellum in my stash.  Thank you for hosting this most wonderful oldies challenge.   :coolsmiley:
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 02:53:50 PM »
I really like vellum whether it is in style or not.  I am all for this challenge!  Thank you for hosting!

I love your sample card.  The vellum die cut and embossed is so pretty.  The butterfly is such a lovely addition.

Was your vellum pink or is it backed with pink cardstock?.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 04:49:13 PM »
Heidi, it is backed with pink cs that I also used the die on. It also made the frosted look stand out more.

Stampwilly

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »
Great challenge, Stampwilly.  I definitely want to play. 
Sarah

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 11:13:19 AM »
I will definitely be playing along this month! I love vellum.
What are some good adhesives for vellum? That seems to be my biggest issue with it.
I like your sample card, very pretty!
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »
Left praise for your project, April--it's lovely!

I found a 12x12 photo vellum I want to play with.

Yeah, Pug, adhesive for vellum can be a challenge. Scor-tape might work.

My challenge (at the moment) will be seeing what inks & other work. It's been a long time & my memory ain't what it was... ::)
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 12:16:19 PM »
My challenge (at the moment) will be seeing what inks & other work. It's been a long time & my memory ain't what it was... ::)

LOL Daniel...your post gave me a dé·jà vu moment!  Then I recalled posting your question recently at 2 Peas...and a search pulled up my post LOL!  In 2012 folks suggested using dye inks, colored pencils, memento ink, archival ink, brillance ink and heat embossing.  I think the main issue is vellum warps if too wet.  

As for a good adhesive I recommend Therm O Web's Vellum Adhesive Bond.  It is a small hand runner.

...Jan
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:42:42 PM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 02:23:45 PM »
Yep, I use a small amount of tape runner when I attach vellum. Seems to work okay.

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 04:11:13 PM »
I tend to try to use a mini glue dot or tiny bit of glossy accents behind a stamped portion of the vellum.  Or, I have wrapped in around the card from and hidden the adhesive on the back of the card.

I have seen some vellum specialty adhesives on the market but haven't tried any.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 11:15:17 AM »
Couple of funnies to share... I was using the one vellum piece I didn't much care for to test inks & such. Turns out that I liked the results & am using that vellum for a project. So I'm making good progress & then...

...I get my kit envelope from Sarah (CraftNerd). After finally getting done with a laughing fit about several of the kit items, I realize that 3 of them just have to be used in my vellum entry.

Only proves that you never know where something is going & the fun you'll have along the way. Kinda like traveling the 'yellow brick road'. ;)
Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 07:46:28 AM »
Thanks for the adhesive suggestions.

I havent tried the specialty vellum adhesives either but I have glue dots so I will try those.

I worked on some pieces over the weekend. I love working with vellum! I will try and get them finished and uploaded soon.
LeighAnn

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 04:37:55 PM »
Can't wait to see them, LeighAnn. :smile: Remember to add a link to your picture here on this post.

Stampwilly

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »
Here's one card I made using vellum. I've got a couple more started, just need to finish them.

I used crayons to color the image. Hard to tell in the pic but the crayon on the vellum is very shiny.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=430

Thanks April for the challenge! I'm really enjoying playing with vellum again.
LeighAnn

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 09:57:54 PM »
LeighAnn, your card is lovely! I have never used crayon on vellum before and just love it! Thanks for doing my challenge! :smile:

Stampwilly