Author Topic: Oldies Challenge -- October  (Read 6701 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Oldies Challenge -- October
« on: October 01, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
Hi Everyone! I really enjoyed the cards from last month. I hope we have a lot that will play this month.

This month's challenge is using crayons. I want to see the technique "crayon resist" on your project. Here is a link that shows pictures and instructions on how to do it. In the first part of the link I am showing how to color and blend using crayons, but the second part shows the resist and this is what I want you to do for this challenge. http://stampwillydesigns.blogspot.com/2012/05/technique-tuesday-crayon-resist-and.html   If you do not have a brayer, you can sponge on the color or colors and it will still work well.

1. you may make any kind of project, card, tag, etc.
2. use the crayon resist technique on it
3. use at least one IMAGE stamp, not just a saying
4. you have all month to make something

I learned this technique many years ago, but I have always loved the look of it. Can't wait to see your creativity! ;D
I will be giving an RAK to a randomly chosen winner.

Stampwilly
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:15:23 PM by stampwilly »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Oldies Challenge -- October
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 10:14:12 AM »
This looks fun!

I finally have a multi color ink pad, but I also have been able to mimic this effect by just using Distress inks and applying it onto the brayer in stripes. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:42:13 AM »
I was  just working on this, and I used archival ink.  I noticed that when coloring with crayon, the ink was still wet and smeared.

Maybe Stazon would dry faster, OR I could have waited a bit before applying the crayon.  Just an FYI in case someone else tried Archival.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 11:01:23 AM »
Durn your hide, Willy! :tickedoff: You know I won't be able to resist your challenge! :smitten:
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 01:20:16 PM »
I knew you couldn't RESIST this one, Daniel! LOL! ;D

Thanks, Heidi. Staz On is the best to use on glossy cs. Also it needs to be very dry.

Hope ya'll have fun!

Stampwilly

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »
We still have some time to try this challenge. With Inktober Fest you might be weary of challenges, but I hope you will try. I will be giving an RAK. Can't wait to see what you do.

Thanks, Stampwilly ;D

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 06:19:24 PM »
I am going to retry this technique with stazon. i even bought a brown stazon pad so I can choose between black and brown.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:24:45 AM »
I 'think' I finally found a piece of glossy cs in my stash & I have a new StazOn pad. Hopefully I'm good to go with the challenge. Just have to decide what stamp(s) to use. Might try one of my new stamps. I think it could work. And I have a few multi-color pads (from the '90s) that might work for this challenge. I'll test it out before I use the glossy just to be safe.  ;)
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 12:46:10 PM »
I have two stamps picked out for this…I have not done this technique before--really neat looking!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 01:32:59 PM »
Success!

I am doing a happy dance! I just completed Willy's challenge & it sooo worked. I went step-by-step & adhered to April's requirements--with one small difference. I applied the multi-color pad directly, rather than brayering on the ink.

Hardest part? Holding my breath as I began to remove the resist, but once I began rubbing & the white showed up (with no movement from the inks), I am in love!

Is it perfect? Nope! But that is fine! I like it AND I learned while doing. I had a BALL, April! With your permission, I'll mail it to you.

Thank You for a great challenge! Can't wait to see what you have in store for November!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:34:33 PM by Looser »
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 05:37:19 PM »
Yes, by all means mail me your piece, Daniel. I am glad it worked well for you. Can't wait to see it. ;D

Stampwilly

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »
OK, Willy!

One of the things that was so interesting to me was how well my Crayola markers (20 pack--supertips washable) worked on the glossy surface. I wouldn't have thot they'd adhere, but they did. And by using a colored crayon to do the resist, I could pretty much see where/what I was protecting from the final ink application. The white areas remained white & the markered areas stayed un altered. Cool!

I found an online source for glossy (white) cs & I'm gonna get me some so I can play more. I want to experiment with my crayola sprayer & more stamps!
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 01:28:54 PM »

One of the things that was so interesting to me was how well my Crayola markers (20 pack--supertips washable) worked on the glossy surface. I wouldn't have thot they'd adhere, but they did. And by using a colored crayon to do the resist, I could pretty much see where/what I was protecting from the final ink application. The white areas remained white & the markered areas stayed un altered. Cool!

Daniel, I don't remember having markers until I was in high school but now children use them at a very early age particularly washable markers.  Today's kids are so lucky to learn such art techniques at very early ages.

When you used a colored crayon can you wipe away the color after you are finished?  I find wiping the ink off the wax makes the white a lot brighter and provides more contrast but I can't tell if the wax is removed.  But knowing where I have precisely colored with crayon would be very helpful. Also I often was doubtful about the thickness on my crayon line since it can change quickly.  So your method would allow for more precision.  When you said white areas remained white....are your referring to white areas you colored with colored crayon or are you saying you didn't color some areas with the marker?  With the brayer one needs to mask areas they want to remain white.

I have seen Mixed Media artists do this technique using watercolors instead of the dye ink/washable markers on watercolor paper for another variation.  That's what I wanted to try but I wasn't sure we could change from the technique this time.  Oldie challenges are fine but for those of us who already have experience using the technique it is fun to uplevel to a new variation.  Unfortunately now my time is limited so I stayed with the technique presented.

...Jan

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 01:47:09 PM »
I was a bit concerned about using the colored crayon, Jan. But I figured I had nothing to lose by trying. ITA that using white crayon does seem to help 'pop' the underlying white glossy, but I decided that being able to 'see' where the wax was trumped sticking with white crayon.

Based on my results, I didn't see any big difference. And it also helped me see where to rub or not rub if I had wanted to leave any of the resist in place. For this piece, I removed all the wax resist, but might not want to for another piece. You never know.
Daniel

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 11:32:37 AM »
I have this challenge on my list of to dos this weekend.  I need to revisit Stampwilly's blog post and then have at it.  Thank you Stampwilly for hosting the oldies......
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......