Author Topic: Oldies Challenge -- October  (Read 6699 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Oldies Challenge -- October
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 07:44:42 AM »
My card project. 

This turned out really well. I liked using the distress inks to brayer with because they sortof were juicy and mixed and blended before they soaked into the glossy paper. I really like the background in person because the glossy paper just makes it looks so cool, cooler than in the photo.

Thanks so much for hosting!!!  This was really fun!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 09:03:22 AM »
Here are the pieces I did…none have been made into a card, but I still wanted to show. 

crayon resist pieces

I really liked this technique and laying down the color on the photo paper and glossy CS.  But I did start figuring out that a little color theory had to be thought about b/c might get mud if not careful!

I also figure out that if I used the crayon and then decided I didn't like the line and rubbed it off, that it would leave a fine film over the paper, even if I couldn't see it and the ink would not be absorbed there in that place-----I first figured it out on the example with the bee with the pink and brownish BG---the leaves are washed out since I tried to redo them before I inked….    :-\ but I kinda like the look and I used it in the lighthouse lightbulb…though I didn't mean for it to go down the side of the lighthouse itself….  :-\

TY April for a fun challenge!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »
Amazing use of the resist, Heidi & Melissa!

While I'm hoping April gets my piece today, I'm not sweating it. I so enjoyed doing it & truly have loved & learned from all the entries. I think that makes for a great challenge! TY, Willy!

ITA with Heidi that even the best photos of glossy fail to show how wonderful the pieces look IRL.
Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 01:11:10 PM »
Bless your heart, April! My email has been acting up since I allowed AOL to do an upgrade! You'd think I'd know better!

Anyhoo... I lifted the image from your upload (thank you) & uploaded it again (feel free to delete your upload if you wish, pal).

Here's my irresistable entry.  ::)

Surrounded by a herd of hungry critters, Mr. Snow prepared to surrender his schozzola in the interest of animal preservation.  But he vowed to go 'coal only' for next year's face. :laugh:
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 01:22:01 PM »
Daniel, do you know what is behind the snowman?  is that a wall?  All I can think about is a cracker or slice of cheese and I doubt that is what the artist meant…  ::)

~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 02:10:04 PM »
Daniel, do you know what is behind the snowman?  is that a wall?  All I can think about is a cracker or slice of cheese and I doubt that is what the artist meant…  ::)

LOL, Melissa! No idea what the 'square' is in the snowman image. What's more? I don't 'care' what the artist meant it to be. :o

Once I purchase a stamp, I decide what I want to do with it. Can't tell you how many stamps I have that I use by leaving out elements of the artist's original creation. Why? Because I can! And believe me... As a designer/artist it took me years to understand that I could do that without insulting the designer or feeling guilty about bringing my artististy to bear when employing an image in my own fabulous work.

The wonderful thing about being a stamper is that we don't have to 'rubberstamp' our work. Took me years to learn that lesson. :smile:
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 04:30:15 PM »
Whew! Glad we finally got Daniel's card uploaded. It turned out great. I love the background and the masking. Daniel you are the master of masking. I just don't do well with it. Thanks for doing my challenge. I will be announcing the winner tomorrow and uploading a new Oldies challenge. Thanks to everyone who has tried the challenge. You still have a few more hours left if you want to try it! ;D

Stampwilly