Author Topic: Interesting article about Etsy  (Read 1835 times)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Interesting article about Etsy
« on: October 03, 2014, 01:19:04 PM »
When I was reading this which I followed from Splitcoaststampers I thought of Craft Nerd.  Geez I always thought Etsy was for home made goods by regular people but now it is open to actual shops so the small Etsy shop is competing with big manufacturers....so not fair.

Blog Post

From the blog article:
Aside from the issue that independent designers are now competing with full-scale production operations, there is the issue of sheer volume -- Etsy now has over 1 million shops. When a seller is competing in a sea of 999,999 other shops, the odds aren't good.

Now that Etsy shoppers have the option of buying from middlemen selling three dollar watches, finding that handmade wrap watch you're looking for will undoubtedly be more difficult. From the seller's perspective, no matter how many times they change their "tags," SEO or refresh their storefront, the traffic just isn't going to come like it used to.

So what actually happened?

In the fall of 2013, Etsy shifted their loyalty from the maker to the shareholder as it made plans to further scale its business model. How did this change things?

Because Etsy's policy changes happened at the maker's expense, many of the people who were once making a living off of their shops are now seeing a fraction of the sales. The difference between Etsy, and let's say, Wal-Mart just got a whole lot smaller. At the core, Etsy changed its mission. No longer is it a website for makers of one-of-a-kind, original goods. Instead, it has become yet another website for the mass-produced and cheaply made goods that satisfy our insatiable culture of mindless consumption.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Interesting article about Etsy
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 01:21:06 PM »
Apparently some of the people who used to use Etsy are now moving to Zibbet and this from Zibbet is why:

When you buy from Zibbet, you're supporting an individual seller who manages the creation process from conception, right through to packaging and shipping the product to your doorstep.
We're proud to be the largest marketplace in the world that stays true to the definition of handmade, where products are in fact hand made, not mass-produced in some factory.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 01:41:41 PM »
I read the same article. I think it is sad too because I went to etsy to get something special and now it is much harder to sift through. I have not seen zibbet.
~~Heidi~~

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 04:56:16 PM »
I agree Heidi. I used to sell on Etsy and stopped a little over a year ago. They were slowly letting in people whose items were not handmade. I am not surprized at the article. I haven't shopped on Etsy for quite some time due to this change happening. It used to be fun to scroll through products to see all the handmade items. I bought many a gift there.

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 07:31:37 PM »
That's an interesting read.  That really stinks about etsy. I haven't bought anything recently from there but last time I was looking for something I found it hard to navigate through.

My MIL used to have an etsy site too but had a hard time selling. She now has a Facebook page that she lists her items she makes. I have heard of zibbet some time ago but forgot about it.
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:24:04 PM »
Oh yes, I've seen a major change at Etsy...so sad.  Kathy what did you sold there? Thanks Sadie I will have to check out Zippit. 

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:01:19 AM »
Jan, I sold personalized embroidered items, baby burp rags, wedding handkerchiefs, same things I sold on my web site before I shut it down. Also, I listed some jewelry for my oldest daughter.

Even when there were no wholesalers it was hard to get noticed. You really had to work it. Make friends, join groups, it took a lot of time.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 09:33:59 AM »
Thanks for sharing Sadie!
Kathy...so sad it is hard to sell hand crafted items.  I really try to buy for gifts when I can't make it myself.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:53:16 PM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »
I had not heard of Zibbet.  TY Sadie! 

I have been wondering why there are SO many stores on etsy for "regular" stuff…..I always see "see our Etsy store" and I have been confused to how something was handmade they were selling.  Now I see why thanks to your post. 
~~Melissa :)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 09:27:34 PM »
Thanks for the link to the article.  Very depressing.  I haven't had much luck with my Esty site so far, and I'm not sure if I'll renew the items when the listings expire or not.  I'll have to check out Zibbet.
Sarah