Author Topic: Stamp A Jack-O-Lantern Challenge--10/18>11/1  (Read 3300 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Stamp A Jack-O-Lantern Challenge--10/18>11/1
« on: October 18, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »
Once upon a weekend dreary,
While I pondered stamping stuff both strange & cheery...

...I decided to challenge myself & my friends here with a 'fun' project. ::)

Let's begin with a bit of history... Before pumpkins became the go-to material for creating Jack-O-Lanterns (JOL),  they were made from large turnips & beets--I'm talking really big ones. Folks hollowed them out & added glowing coals or candles to create lanterns. Some folks carved faces in them & carried them during Fall festivals like Samhain & All Hallow's Eve. Now for our challenge...

You have to create a JOL using stamps. You may use any sort of stamp or stamps you wish--except pumpkin ones .  And your JOL must have a face. You may draw that or use stamps for that part of the challenge.

Your JOL may end up looking like a pumpkin long as you don't use a pumpkin stamp. Or you may decide to use fruit/vegetable stamps as your base. Apples, oranges, tomatoes, cabbages, (big) carrots...etc. Get the idea?

This challenge will close at the 'witching hour' of midnight on November 1st.

Looking forward to a Spooktacular patch of projects!
Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Stamp A Jack-O-Lantern Challenge--10/18>11/1
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:28:34 PM »
I'm working on my 'pumpkinless' JOL today. Found a great base stamp to get me started--one from Sweet Stamping I got many years ago.

Have to make a few decisions before I do the piece, but what else is new? ;D
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 11:30:42 PM »
Daniel YOU did it now!  You now have 2, not 1 but 2 challenges asking for players to use stamps as oddities to the norm!  Are you making all of us crazy?? :tickedoff:  I was working on your Inktoberfest challenge today combining Halloween and Christmas when all of sudden I found myself working on this one! I now have 2 cards but 1 doesn't have any stamping. 

So I now hope Daria can understand that if you can make a pumpkinless Jack-O-Lantern certainly I can enter a stampless card for your challenge which is based on stamping. Afterall their must be some kind of consistency-right??  Certainly I planned something different but I know you will understand that you created this mess. :smitten: 

...Jan
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:29:03 AM by Far North »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:01:15 AM »
Daniel YOU did it now!  You now have 2, not 1 but 2 challenges asking for players to use stamps as oddities to the norm!  Are you making all of us crazy??...

Hope springs eternal, Jan!  ;D If I can convert just one 'normal'  ::) stamper to embracing crazy, I will have done my duty. 'Course many of my fellow AIs don't have far to go in that regard... :laugh:

BTW? I finished my piece & used just 2 stamps--1 of which was a sentiment!  O0
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »
hhmm… I have to ponder this one….see what I have in my stash! 
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »
Can't wait to see the results of your cogitation, Melissa! O0
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 09:08:30 PM »
I posted my Jack O Lantern and Holi-Daze cards
url].
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:10:46 PM by Far North »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 09:51:41 AM »
Jan. Your JOL is a hoot! A big TY for sharing pix of the stamps & how you used them. That alone is a fun piece--especially the 'knife handle'. I thot at first it was his stem.  The mustaches & hat remind me a bit of Hercule Poirot. Too funny, pal. Thanks for playing.  O0
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 12:45:32 PM »
Jan, what is the image that has the "moustache" and "eyes"?  is it an address label for a door?

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 01:12:32 PM »
LoL Melissa, I don't know what the plate is either but I hoped someone here could add some explanation..  The plate comes from an architectural set with columns, gates, door knobs, and the plates that go behind them.  But this one is different in that it is not symmetrical like the others.

Any thoughts?

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 09:00:11 AM »
I've put this on deck to try out. Loved your Jacks, Jan!
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »
I got my JOL in the gallery.

Had to laugh... I caught last night's JEOPARDY show. One question was about what veggie early JOLs were carved from. Answer: "what are turnips?" #>

Still time for more of us to play! O0
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »
Melissa perhaps you are right about the purpose of my stamp being a house # plate....or perhaps a mail slot??

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 09:18:29 PM »
Yeah I can see it being a mail slot in the right relative proportion. From how I see it it looks too small. :)

Daniel I may have to resort to punching out a pear from craft foam to make a fruit stamp....unless I make a jol from material items. I'm going to look again tomorrow and see if new jol ideas come forth from my stamps!

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 12:35:03 PM »
Here's my JOLs!

cloudy JOLs!

Now not sure these really could be JOL IRL…but I did not have any fruit or veggie stamps!  Well I do have a couple pumkpins and a tiny pear that's 1/4" size within another stamp…..so I made JOL with a cloud foam stamp I have. 

My pear punch I was going to use to make a stamp was too small for faces so ditched that idea. 

What I liked about this challenge, though I didn't use produce, was that it made me look at my stamps with different "eyes", searching for face parts, etc.  TY Daniel for fun challenge.   O0